belt/pulley alignment 440

monaco75

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a hard time with my pulley alignment with the new sanden compressor, and federal steering pump.

Do you guys see a problem with running it this way? The rear crank pulley grove lines up with the alt. and compressor as it should. The 2nd up crank groove lines up with the alt. and compressor as it should, but this is also where the steering pump pulley now lines up. The 3rd, and fourth crank grove lines up with the water pump as it should.

So what I'm looking at is running the normal belt all the way in the back, around the alt., compressor, and crank. The next belt up is oversized to go around the alt., compressor, power steering, and crank, then the 3rd, and 4th belts up just around the crank, and water pump.

Think this will be alright? Photos are of moch up with original belts..

20161005_205419.jpg

20161005_205428.jpg

The two belts are going to want to drive the Sanden at two different speeds I think.
No. I do not approve. lol

You need a two groove pulley on the alternator

What do you think then? 1 belt to each pulley? Not sure if the one belt around the PS pump would clear the water pump..

The sanden is gonna get stuck in the middle somehow I think...

After looking, it might clear. Still though, I'd be looking at 1 belt around crank, alt., compressor. 1 belt around crank, amd PS pump. Amd 2 belts around water pump, and crank.

Something is screwy with the PS pump pulley. It looks like it's on backwards or it isn't the right one.

You should have two belts going around compressor and alternator. I think that with that waterpump pulley, you can use the same belt to run the PS pump. You'd have a total of 3 belts.

Yes originally the water pump pulley ran the PS pump, and one belt around an idler pulley. The original PS pump bracket wouldn't work with the sanden. Also the original pulley was bent all up.

Obviously the pulley on the PS pump os aftermarket. I don't think turning it around would help. It would be even more in between the water pump, and compressor pulleys..

I've already spent too much $$.. Wanna try and make this work somehow

FB_IMG_1475466784557.jpg

It will work, technically but a v belt running 3 accessories is not going to be reliable. Power steering needs to be on that 3rd groove and I put a belt from the front groove around water pump because I always have a squeal on PS and water pump till I added the extra.

I believe we got it fixed. I think you had it right Big john.

Took the PS pump up to the local shop. Had em take the pulley off, and press it back on the opposite way. Also had em leave a tiny gap at the back. No she lines up good where its supposed to. 1 belt running the water pump, and PS. I'm not installing the idler/tensioner pulley on the front (cant with the new setup). So the front grooves on the water pump, and crank won't be used.

Thanks guys!

20161006_172621.jpg

20161006_172628.jpg

Here is what I did with front groove. I just found a belt that was just a touch too small and ran crank to wp put it on when wp pulley is loose and when you bolt the fan clutch up tight it snugs the belt mine is a Gates 7340 you can measure to get close with a piece of
IMG_20161007_094704556.jpg
IMG_20161007_094710407.jpg
IMG_20161007_094710407.jpg

Reason I did this is I was getting a belt squeal on highway ~45-50, water pump is the accessory that gets the slack in the belt coming off crank. Guess that's why the factory had a belt there, I had lost the pieces along the way and decided to try this. It has probably been on there 8-9 years an about 15000 mi it has outlasted all the other belts and does not have to be touched to remove the belts behind it.

Last edited:
20161006_172621-jpg.95992.jpg

Now that's the way it ought to be .

Now about the sucky billet pulley. . . :poke:

Where are the regular stock replacement pulleys for the federal pump?

Its not my thing either, all I could find.. After spending all that money its staying now though lol

Here is what I did with front groove. I just found a belt that was just a touch too small and ran crank to wp put it on when wp pulley is loose and when you bolt the fan clutch up tight it snugs the belt mine is a Gates 7340 you can measure to get close with a piece of View attachment 96073 View attachment 96075 View attachment 96075
Reason I did this is I was getting a belt squeal on highway ~45-50, water pump is the accessory that gets the slack in the belt coming off crank. Guess that's why the factory had a belt there, I had lost the pieces along the way and decided to try this. It has probably been on there 8-9 years an about 15000 mi it has outlasted all the other belts and does not have to be touched to remove the belts behind it.

Thank you! I'll pick one of these up for sure. The A/C, and compressor belts seem like they were recent replacements, and still in good shape. Might re use them. Need new a new belt to fit the PS pump.

Back