Pulley swap.

carguy300

Reaction score
I think this was brought up before, temporally want to remove a/c compressor from my 68 300 until I can get motor running. I will need to change crank and water pump pulleys. Not worried about power steering pump at this time, seals shot, belts off. What pulleys, where to locate? Any info will be great.

The water pump will work anyway, with the idler. Why even take the compressor off? Just leave it there until it is replaced. As long as the pulley/bearing are still good. If not, then maybe run one belt to the water pump and then alt, using the existing pulleys? Just need to get the length needed, using a piece of stiff string or similar as a guide for the length needed.

Just curious,
CBODY67

It needs to be rebuilt and Just wanted to get it out of the way. Have to change alt, water pump and remove replace seal on power steering pump. Hoses to. For me it would be easier with compressor and hoses out of way.

Hi, I just completed the task, DON'T buy the kit from Bouchilion, will not work on 68. I had trouble with the crank pulley holes matching and when completed the PS belt will hit the water pump (Federal) pulley, the kit is design for newer PS pump, as far as alternator , ANY Big block w/o air brackets will work, I'd use the "search" on this forum and I believe "BIG JOHN" posted the pulley part# for Non-AC crank and water pump pulley

DSC07239.JPG

DSC07416.JPG

DSC06333.JPG

DSC06961.JPG

DSC07169.JPG

Hi, I just completed the task, DON'T buy the kit from Bouchilion, will not work on 68. I had trouble with the crank pulley holes matching and when completed the PS belt will hit the water pump (Federal) pulley, the kit is design for newer PS pump, as far as alternator , ANY Big block w/o air brackets will work, I'd use the "search" on this forum and I believe "BIG JOHN" posted the pulley part# for Non-AC crank and water pump pulley

View attachment 610631

View attachment 610632

View attachment 610633

View attachment 610634

View attachment 610635
sorry about the crappy pix, too small to see before I posted, I was able to make mine work by getting a 3/8 wide instead of 1/2 belt which sits deeper in the pulley thus giving clearance. just my $.02

Ive seen a couple pulleys on e bay. I need to get under the hood and do more eye balling and measure. This will only be a temporary change but I still want to work. Thanks for pics.

Back