Bent Axle?

monaco75

Reaction score
I took the car out for a little drive today. Was on the way back home, when at a stop light, a guy next to me told me my rear driver side wheel was wobbling. Right after he said that, I had a flashback from a few years ago before the car got put up, of hearing the same thing...

So got her home, and jacked the rear up, and sure enough wobble, wobble, wobble. Lugs are all tight. I'm gonna assume my axle is bent? What do you guys think? Is there a good company anyone can recomend for getting some replacements? The rear is an 8 3/4, with a 4.10 suregrip.

A couple vids (should play when clicked on)

Hopefully the rear will stay together for me for a little while, till the other car is back on the road.. Good thing I only have a short 10min drive to work!

No bearing noise (atleast that I can hear)... Actually I was surprised that I did not feel it in the car going down the road, as bad as it looks.

Good point Greg B. I never even thought to do that.... no spare at the moment, I'll have to rip off the passenger side wheel, and swap them.

Could it be a bent rim? Did you try swapping with the spare?

In almost 50 years, I have yet to see with my own eyes a bent axle.
Solid tube rear ends can't bend an axle. Even if it was bent, the axle bearings would be toast by now. If the shudder in the car didn't shake the fillings out of your teeth in the 1st place. It's something else and yah, my money is on the rim, too.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

:sSig_thanks: Thank you guy's! It was the rim. Now the passenger side is a wobbling away. I've never dealt with a bent wheel, or axle. Was not sure what it was. Makes me feel a lot better it is not the axle! I wanted to get wheels for it anyway, so this is just iceing on the cake for some other wheels.

Wonder what bent it.... Hell I've always babied the car over bumps, and what not. PO must have done something :rant:

May well be the rim but it could just be the tire had a belt or 2 shift.

May well be the rim but it could just be the tire had a belt or 2 shift.

You can see in the vids that the rim is bent at the center hub. A 4.10 suregrip in that thing...well here's how that rim got bent. Out doing donuts, or drifting around a corner...lost control and tagged a curb broad side with that wheel.

Been there, done that...to both rear wheels one night many moons ago. Made for a slow wobbly ride home. :)

In almost 50 years, I have yet to see with my own eyes a bent axle.
Solid tube rear ends can't bend an axle. Even if it was bent, the axle bearings would be toast by now. If the shudder in the car didn't shake the fillings out of your teeth in the 1st place.

I have a Dana 60 from a '70 6 pack Road Runner and both axles were bent, and the housing was fine. You could not feel anything out of the ordinary at any speed, but the bearings made a pulsing noise at higher speeds. Rolling the axle by hand was smooth and the bearings looked fine, but I'm guessing it could not have been run very long in this condition.

I have a Dana 60 from a '70 6 pack Road Runner and both axles were bent, and the housing was fine. You could not feel anything out of the ordinary at any speed, but the bearings made a pulsing noise at higher speeds. Rolling the axle by hand was smooth and the bearings looked fine, but I'm guessing it could not have been run very long in this condition.
Do you think they came as defective axles from the factory?

Do you think they came as defective axles from the factory?

The guy that I bought my '70 Runner from had previously had a 6 Pack parts car the same color (EK2). My car has the passenger's door and the 3.54 Dana 60 from the "rolled" 6 pack car. It could not have been hurt really bad as the door from it that is on my car is really nice, just lacking the dust trail decal. I never got to see the parts car as it was stolen not long before I bought my car from him.

I didn't think it was the tire. As you can see in the vid, and as mentioned, the whole wheel is shaking. I also can not feel anything out of the ordinary driving, however I guess I can't really compare it to anything else, as the car must have been this way since I've had it. The car does do a little vibrating at higher speeds, but I would assume it's the 4.10's.

I didn't think it was the tire. As you can see in the vid, and as mentioned, the whole wheel is shaking. I also can not feel anything out of the ordinary driving, however I guess I can't really compare it to anything else, as the car must have been this way since I've had it. The car does do a little vibrating at higher speeds, but I would assume it's the 4.10's.

4:10 or any gear won't make the car vibrate if installed correctly.

Back