Bess ('66 Imp) Backfiring Through Carb

Mick

Reaction score
Getting Bess ready for a road trip this week, and I was trying to smooth out this annoying little, tiny, almost stumble out of her idle. Doesn't affect drive-ability, just bugs the ever living you know what out of me. So, I broke out my timing light, my vacuum gauge, and my Sears Craftsman vintage engine analyzer (thank you, eBay), and went at it.
Long story short, just couldn't get there, and then she started running worse, then wouldn't fire at all.
Coil good.
Finally checked the points and discovered that the little plastic "bumper" on the points that rides up on the distributor cam was partially melted.
Of course, during all this I had been fooling with the timing.
New points, condenser, she tries to breathe fire through the carb. Tries to start.
Flooded now.
Timing?

Getting Bess ready for a road trip this week, and I was trying to smooth out this annoying little, tiny, almost stumble out of her idle. Doesn't affect drive-ability, just bugs the ever living you know what out of me. So, I broke out my timing light, my vacuum gauge, and my Sears Craftsman vintage engine analyzer (thank you, eBay), and went at it.
Long story short, just couldn't get there, and then she started running worse, then wouldn't fire at all.
Coil good.
Finally checked the points and discovered that the little plastic "bumper" on the points that rides up on the distributor cam was partially melted.
Of course, during all this I had been fooling with the timing.
New points, condenser, she tries to breathe fire through the carb. Tries to start.
Flooded now.
Timing?
Welp, another noobie situation in the books. Reset points, threw away timing light, she runs good. Great comes tomorrow. Going to test the plug wires.

Hmmm, maybe that's why I can't get the ping out of her no matter what I do? I set the gap at.18, and checked the dwell at 28.

Back