Big Blue, the 67 Crown Coupe - Managing Director Edition

What he's saying is that the gas is boiling/evaporating out of the carb when you shut it down. If that is the case it would seem to me that you would be having the slow to catch scenario every time the car sits for let's say an hour or more. Are you putting any additives in your gas?

Yeah, I understand that. I've had cars that boiled off gas from the carbs (1968 Fiat Dino among them). You can smell it under the hood when that happens. The Imperial doesn't smell that way after driving and is not hard to start from one day to the next. Two days of sitting around and it takes awhile. So...?

Updates:
I bit the bullet on getting the AC fixed. Turns out the compressor is shot and the thermal expansion valve is stuck open. So, I'm having the refrigeration shop swap the compressor for a reman unit and replace the valve. Hopefully, I'll have Big Blue back next week.

Hagerty Insurance said they will cut me a check for repairing the damage done in the transporter crash back in August. They will then go after the trucking company. I'll never use Montway or Ashlind again.

Big Blue's build sheet was under the rear seat for 50 years. Carefully removed from the car, the paper was disintegrating, crumbling. After studying up on how the U.S. Library of Congress preserves things like this, I laminated the build sheet pieces to a sheet of Japanese Mulberry paper using homemade wheat paste adhesive. Barring fire or flood, the document should now last for at least 200 years.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess thst it is in a 15th Century Italian Renaissance frame. . .

Do you have a pic of it? I would love to see what you have done to it.

I have the preserved build sheet as a PDF document. I'll try to attach it. Still looks like hell, but at least it won't degrade any further. I think you'll have to download to see it.

Attachments

• IMP BUILD SHEET.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 182
Here you go!
IMG_2189.PNG

I can expand that on my screen and read it all just fine.

Big iPad and readers...

Love the Mobile Director in big print at the bottom. Some how I missed that it was an actual Mobile Director Imperial. I thought you made it just because it would have been an option and really cool.

Love the Mobile Director in big print at the bottom. Some how I missed that it was an actual Mobile Director Imperial. I thought you made it just because it would have been an option and really cool.

The main reason I bought this Imp is because it is a real Mobile Director. Had to recreate the table because the first owner lost it or stored it somewhere his widow couldn't find it.

Man, i love this car. Gorgeous colors.
Dad had a conv. in the same colors. I still remember the smell of that cars new interior.

Problem: Working on fixing the HVAC system. Cooling and heating now work, but the fan only has low and middle speeds. The wiring diagram shows a high-speed blower relay. But where is it in the car? Dash is apart and no relay in sight. Anybody know?

Brian K. on the Yahoo Imperial List let me know where that relay is located: above the radio, near the HVAC controls. Will replace it and see if high speed starts working on the blower control.

Update:
The HVAC system is all good now. It was a big PIA and kind of expensive; over $1,200. Meanwhile, some other problems came to light: weeping seal on transmission pan, weak alternator, flaky voltage regulator, intermittent headlight switch and a leaking brake caliper. Another day in the shop and it'll be done, I hope. Then, something else will go south. Of course, I expected this car to be a fixer-upper. Good thing I'm not building a show car. Lord knows how much time, effort and $$$ that would cost.

If you have a leaky front caliper I see some stainless steel sleeves in your future.

Back