Brake drum puller tool recommendations? 66 newport

Wrong adjuster.
Is there not an adjuster under the back seat floor on the drivers side where the two cables join the one cable that goes forward to the parking brake pedal?

Had some trouble with the passenger side e-brake cable, it does not have enough slack. It causes the shoes to push out a little so I cant get the drum on.

Adjuster thing is all the way in, e-brake disengaged and the e-brake cable slack is fine on the driver side.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to adjust the slack on the e-brake cable?
The adjuster is circled in red in this pic from a FSM

There's a nut on the end of the front cable.

That said, looking at the passenger side shoes, I wonder if the cable is stuck. Not uncommon at all and usually the best way to fix is just replace it.

E brake.jpg

The adjuster is circled in red in this pic from a FSM

There's a nut on the end of the front cable.

That said, looking at the passenger side shoes, I wonder if the cable is stuck. Not uncommon at all and usually the best way to fix is just replace it.

View attachment 628406

Nice!!

What do you mean by stuck? I installed it properly, its not twisted up or at a weird angle.

Nice!!

What do you mean by stuck? I installed it properly, its not twisted up or at a weird angle.
The inner cable is stuck in the jacket and won't move. It happens when they get a bit rusty, often from non-use.

Looking at the picture, with the shoes falling off on the passenger side, and the e-brake lever in that position, it occurs to me that the cable isn't releasing and it's been driven a lot with the cable not releasing.

The inner cable is stuck in the jacket and won't move. It happens when they get a bit rusty, often from non-use.

Looking at the picture, with the shoes falling off on the passenger side, and the e-brake lever in that position, it occurs to me that the cable isn't releasing and it's been driven a lot with the cable not releasing.

I see, well I hope that's not the case but well have to see.

For now, we have the shoes and drum installed without e-brake cable on the passenger side just so the car can be moved around the garage.

Big john, but you are probably right when I think about it. When I had the cable installed, the parking brake arm (not sure exactly what its called) seemed as if it was in the same position it would be if the e-brake pedal was pressed.

Any time a 66 and newer drum won't come off because one can't back off the adjuster, or there is a big rust ridge on the drum, i just grind off the retaining "nail" heads [with a 90 degree air grinder] and pull shoes, springs , etc. at one time. the replacement spring and nail kits are cheap, and it's a good idea to replace them once in a while anyway.

Sorry its been a while! I've been busy.

Finally have time to start doing the front brake conversion. The front brake drums are stuck on. So far I've only tried hammering it.

Any advice for me here?

Do they turn OK? Do you have a service manual for your car? Time to get one and do some reading.

Front drums are joined onto the hub.
The wheel studs are swedged onto the drum to do this.

Remove the dust cap, nut and outer wheel bearing and take off hub and drum off in one piece.

Do they turn OK? Do you have a service manual for your car? Time to get one and do some reading.

Remove the dust cap, nut and outer wheel bearing and take off hub and drum off in one piece.

Just one nut? I'll take t a look tomorrow.

One time I was working on a new to me 60's mopar. My mechanic mopar friend is coming to come over to go,for a ride, and he brought a friend.

Before they arrived I took of a front wheel and drum as one piece at the wheel bearings. I'm finishing up cleaning and inspecting the brake and the friends show up. I put the drum and wheel back on and his friend saw me do this and exclaimed, "is that all that holds the front wheel on? I'm not riding in that car!"

we laughed for years at this comment.

The Castle nut was removed, right?
Had to ask.

@413 @commando1

you're both referring to this nut? just this guy and the whole hub and drum comes off?

btw won't be working on this till Sunday prob just want to have a plan before i get to it

IMG_7227.JPG

Actually I'm still curious to see what the shoes/pads look like since the brake performance was horrible.

I suspect it looks like crap inside there ... just like the rears. FYI replacing the rears made a decent difference but not all the way yet.

@413 @commando1

you're both referring to this nut? just this guy and the whole hub and drum comes off?

btw won't be working on this till Sunday prob just want to have a plan before i get to it

View attachment 637967
That's the one! Pull the cotter pin, then the little sheet metal castle lock thingy, then unscrew the nut. Remove the washer and outer bearing and the drum is now loose. If it hangs up, you may have to back off the adjuster a little.

I suggest a new inner seal and cleaning and repacking both bearings. To assemble takes a little finesse to adjust, but it's just a matter of snugging it and then backing off the lock just a touch. Read the service manual for a much better description of the procedure.

That's the one! Pull the cotter pin, then the little sheet metal castle lock thingy, then unscrew the nut. Remove the washer and outer bearing and the drum is now loose. If it hangs up, you may have to back off the adjuster a little.

I suggest a new inner seal and cleaning and repacking both bearings. To assemble takes a little finesse to adjust, but it's just a matter of snugging it and then backing off the lock just a touch. Read the service manual for a much better description of the procedure.
Thanks for the quick reply big John.

Sounds easy enough famous last words.. i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Back