Brake lights \windshield chrome

Reaction score
1968 Plymouth fury III my brake lights are staying on when driving any suggestions would be great what to look for .........my windshield is getting installed soon like to know how to take Chrome off windshield to help windshield guy also How do I take off wipers and cowl

The switch for the brake lights is underneath the brake pedal, and is adjustible. If your brakes are not hanging up (which is definitely something to check on first), then adjust the switch position. The adjustment is typically accomplished by the bracket the switch is mounted in - it will have elongated holes to allow it to move up or down.

Wipers have a special tab that you need to release to remove the wipers. The tab needs to be released by pulling it towards the blade and away from the pivot shaft to allow the wiper arm to come up off the shaft.
1692160826393.png

Once the wipers are removed, the cowl grille trim has a phillips head screw in the door opening. Once those are off, the trim is held on by spring clips in the trim that go into holes on the cowl grille. Once the trim is off, you will see the screws that hold the cowl grille on.

The trim around the sides and on the top edge of the front windshield is held in place by special clips that require a special tool. Your windshield guy should have that tool and know how to use it.

Great help for me as well, since my car has leaked water for decades on the driver side....need to find where. And, I have asked this before but am not yet good. A pic of my cowl may show the outer hole is elongated horizontally, but the inner one in the body is long in the vertical direction. I still imagine some type of clip...but have tried several styles to no avail. Just hate to use a simple screw if there is a more elegant design.

cowl fastener 2.jpg

The holes are long for panel adjustiblty. Yes, it's a big head phillips screw that is used, just like the ones found under the decorative trim by the base of the windshield.

All of these cars seem to leak from the cowl area into the footwells, sadly. I haven't had one that doesn't.

The cowl drain is accessible through the flap in the middle of the firewall - if the flap isn't there, it's an oval hole. It allows air and water to flow downwards to drain holes near the back of the bottom of the front fenders, and meets up with similar drainage provisions under the grille at the bottom of the windshield.

As you can imagine, poor sealing of the windshield can allow water to get behind, and as well, the drainage system gets plugged with debris, and it can fill up and overflow, and then of course, rust sets in and holes occur - holes you can't see.

See if you can poke coat-hanger wire up from the bottom and down from the top to loosen anything plugging up the route.

More info here:

Chrysler C body cowl drain - Google Search

This is great, although what a pita to clean the outer ones.....I am still confused as to how the water gets from the cowl housing, down the body sides or thru the vent region, but will look. And, can you say any more about the center thing a ma jig, found the oval hole and mine has no outer flap. But how in the heck does this work.....there is a flange around so water cannot come out here, so must go on down somewhere. thanks again

Yes, the water goes down inside and out the bottom drain holes. However, if it plugs up and overflows, it can exit out the oval hole.

Back