Broken Bench Vise

Put a "wanted" add on your local craigslist, or equivalent on-line source for an "old heavy duty vice". You'll probably get a few people wanting to get rid of "that old vice on the work bench", it's just too darn heavy to mess with. ;)

I just did this for a drywall lift, couldn't find one locally for less then $250-$300 so put up a want add....get a call from an old guy who had a new unit, never used for $60!

i dd. it appears that the jaw was cut that way. i also read his post. he said the vise is wore out/stripped out internally and can no longer tightened. that's what i referring to.
You're correct. I did want to fix the internals. Small head on the moveable side fits into a lot of things better.
Columbian got absorbed by Wilton in late 1990s
Know where I can buy a nut or repair part for this to screw into? Thread diameter 7/8"
20190427_192835.jpg

Last edited:
Put a "wanted" add on your local craigslist, or equivalent on-line source for an "old heavy duty vice". You'll probably get a few people wanting to get rid of "that old vice on the work bench", it's just too darn heavy to mess with. ;) I just did this for a drywall lift, couldn't find one locally for less then $250-$300 so put up a want add....get a call from an old guy who had a new unit, never used for $60!
Good idea. I'm going to try Rag's advice on fixing mine. If that doesn't work, want ad time.

@68PK21 440.6bbl
OK, so I have used an extra tough carpenter's vise to do the work of a machinist's vise.
What machinist vise do you use?

What I posted previously very similar to this. I guess my life is complete now an ya can pack me off to the old age home, I never thought I'd be going to a web site and looking at pictures of old rusty vices.

"the vice I use to have & use."
colombian-machinst-vice-jpg.jpg

Don't know the model or size, but big enough for whatever I needed, (Harley flywheel nuts torqued to 450 ft. lbs.) never thought to take a picture of it (film camera daze and I lived in a safe area), took care of it thou, never put a pipe on the turn handle, I did use it for pressing passenger car u-joints and had a screw on the bench wood adapter to hold up the driveshaft to make the job easier. But then with heavier truck driveshafts, especially with center bearing it was quicker to do the joint under the truck so I got a u-joint/ball joint press kit. I can still remember the end of the school year in Junior High shop classes (x4) our teachers would have everyone steel wool and oil all the bare metal surfaces of all the equipment for the summer break, and then when we came back clean the surfaces especially in the wood shop. I think now that shop is where I used a nice big I don'know how many tons floor standing arbor press with a wheel not lever. I use to go back after I graduated to use some of the equipment. Not so much with the Junior High teacher even though I got all straight A's in the 2 classes with him and we got along well, he did teach shop at the State Prison in the summertime and by the time I was in/out of High School the hair was long and motorcycles and leather jackets was the norm, so I didn't want to get any dirty looks or ideas from him,

:rofl:

The High School teacher was easier to bullshit when I needed to use a milling machine or lathe. ('bout the only time I showed up for that class from workstudy) 2x LOL

logo.png

866-322-9842
Mon-Fri 7am - 1am EST
Sat-Sun 7am - 11pm EST

Repair Parts Home Power Tool Parts Wilton Parts 11115-15 Spindle Nut
part_p_945240_1168692387.gif
zoomview.jpg

Spindle Nut
Part Number: 11115-15
32774_white.png

We Sell Only Genuine Parts From the Manufacturer – Guaranteed!

Availability: 25 in stock
Price: $11.55
Quantity:
Ships within 1 business day

Specifications
  • For a 6-1/2 inch vice.
Description:
This authentic replacement item is designed for use with Wilton vise. This nut helps to secure spindle handle assembly and allows user to tighten or loosen vise grip. This assembly includes a metal but, bolt and a washer. Please note you would need a wrench installing/removing this item.
Product Information
Manufacturer: Wilton
Product Number: 11115-15
Classification: Part
Weight: 0.69 lbs.
Shipping: Ships Worldwide

• Please call us toll free:
  • 7AM-1AM, Mon-Fri, (ET)
  • 7AM-11PM, Sat-Sun, (ET)
  • 866-322-9842

this? gotta' say i've never failed to install a wheel stud using an upside down lug nut against washers and/or a larger nut. torque the nut. hit the back side of the stud with a hammer. torque the nut again. hit the stud again. do a captured brake drum on a c30 hub sometime. won't be using a ball joint press. is the right way to do u-joints though.

Last edited:
NAPA's studs are oversize at splines. I've ruined studs and lug nuts, using washers and lug nuts to pull studs thru. I should probably buy OEM wheel studs and stop using NAPA wheel studs.
Interim Measures
1/2" threaded rod, nut and washers both sides.
20190428_194440.jpg

20190428_184816.jpg

Result: all wheel studs done.
20190428_194351.jpg

Don't fret. life could be worse...

BROKEN.VICE.jpg

I think the studs that you are getting are someones failed attempt to convert American dimensions to metric.

Put a "wanted" add on your local craigslist, or equivalent on-line source for an "old heavy duty vice". You'll probably get a few people wanting to get rid of "that old vice on the work bench", it's just too darn heavy to mess with. ;) I just did this for a drywall lift, couldn't find one locally for less then $250-$300 so put up a want add....get a call from an old guy who had a new unit, never used for $60!
Final Solution
Checked my local Craigslist, like you said. Found an ad for this monster vise, $125. The owner was an 85-year-old retired machinist, whose daughter was selling the vise for him. I offered $100 and she took it. Good deal for such a heavy-duty vise. Must be at least 50 years old, maybe a lot older. Looks great on my workbench!

I lubed the threaded rod with some WD-40. It opens and closes just fine, and with a lot more precision than my old vice. You can see my broken vice in the first picture, (along with an 8.75 rear that I’m going to put on my 1972 Plymouth Fury Coupe). Major difference in size and strength and durability.
20190503_191148.jpg

20190503_175714.jpg

20190503_175731.jpg

20190503_175929.jpg

20190503_175950.jpg

20190503_180131.jpg

Gold 72 Fury coupe waiting for an axle. Suspect 1st job for vise will be a new u-joint.
20190503_190554.jpg

For a $100 I think you did great. :thumbsup: I might even be a little jealous. Also, get some actual grease in there and not just WD-40.

Do you have the fender tag for that vice?

:rofl:

Make sure you post that vice find over at the vintage vice forum I'm sure they will be looking forward to your 'Vice Restoration Thread'!

:rofl::rofl:

Oh and BTW you obviously failed shop class as one of the very first things taught is how to mount a vice to your workbench properly.

You failed miserably!

Nice old vice, better than what you got but.... looks a little beat up, I wud'da got it for 50.

:lol:

Do you have the fender tag for that vice? Make sure you post that vice find over at the vintage vice forum I'm sure they will be looking forward to your 'Vice Restoration Thread'!

Tell the vintage vise forum not to hold their breath waiting. I plan to use the vise, not restore it. If it breaks I'll fix it. If it's beyond repair, I'll recycle it.

Oh and BTW you obviously failed shop class as one of the very first things taught is how to mount a vice to your workbench properly. You failed miserably!:lol:

My workbench has support beams, so it has to be mounted that far inward, unless I use super long drill bits and bolts. Still opens and closes without interference. I fail you and the shop teacher for poor observation and lack of adaptability, regarding work area. :lol:

" I fail you and the shop teacher for poor observation and lack of adaptability, "

Haaa! I'll bet'cha that was the phrase the Rocket Scientist that were building the Space Shuttle (the one that blew up) used!

I have not. I had a problem with lug nuts stripping when I used washers and tried to pull them thru with the lug nut. How do you use the Lisle tool?
Same way as the nut and washer trick, except when the tool is used it puts less stress on the threads because it has a large bearing to turn on. No friction or heat from the washers. It works well, I have one I use at work, I don't pull every wheel bearing or axle I need to change a stud on.

Back