Brown goo leakage

darth_linux

Reaction score
So it got to 85 today and I wanted to see if the AC worked. Unsurprisingly, it did not blow cold. It wasn’t hot air, but neither was it cool. I drove for about 15 minutes with it on because although it wasn’t cold, it was still nice to get a breeze on my face, which of course the heater and defroster never provide.

When I got home I checked the oil level since I had replaced the oil and filter this morning. That’s when I noticed this rusty brown goo coming from this fitting. The fitting was loose, so I tightened it by hand and cleaned off this somewhat oily feeling liquid.

First question, what exactly is this part of the AC, and second, what was this rusty brown goo leaking out?

Thank you!

D16C5356-67D9-491A-9B26-2C9C3811EB27.jpeg

Think that is the low pressure side of the A/C compressor and the fluid leaking out is mostly the original mineral oil in the system. Have you had the system apart for any reason? Would probably benefit from a flushing on all the lines, condenser, evaporator core and then new R134 compatible O-rings and a new drier.

Then have a A/C shop draw down the system with vacuum to check for leaks and remove any moisture, then they can charge it back up.

The compressor could probably use a rebuild too. If you have brown 'goo' coming out, that probably includes rust in suspension and it's source is the compressor casting. I have seen similar goo even in the sump of a "rebuilt" compressor.

Think that is the low pressure side of the A/C compressor and the fluid leaking out is mostly the original mineral oil in the system. Have you had the system apart for any reason? Would probably benefit from a flushing on all the lines, condenser, evaporator core and then new R134 compatible O-rings and a new drier.

Then have a A/C shop draw down the system with vacuum to check for leaks and remove any moisture, then they can charge it back up.
Not been apart since I owned the car. The PO told me it wasn't working. He was right of course.

I think the most sensible thing to do would be to replace the entire AC system with the modern Sanden style compressor and R134.

The compressor could probably use a rebuild too. If you have brown 'goo' coming out, that probably includes rust in suspension and it's source is the compressor casting. I have seen similar goo even in the sump of a "rebuilt" compressor.
I'm probably just gonna replace the entire system with the Sanden style and convert to R134.

Had a similar issue. All i did was change the o-rings, new dryer, checked the system for leaks. Also rebuilt the compressor clutch, and got a cheap original style rebuilt V2 compressor off ebay (200 USD?). Running it the second year now, blows freezing cold. It's running just fine on R134. Overall the costs summed up to around 500 USD. Not cheap, bot not overly expensive either.

Back