C-Body Holy Grail Restoration Starts Here; 1970 6BBL GT

Haven't learned German since the '90s so don't understand a word. Am trying to copy and paste, to translate, and that bloody doesn't work. Lol

I did not know about this thread since I had been off the board for a couple years. Very cool read and great to see the level of restoration on the "Junkyard Dog" is going to be top notch! I will be watching with interest!

I remember on the old old C-body dry dock board when Dan dragged the Junkyard dog home, then came the TX9/FK5 car...that is my personal favorite. ;) Then the Y2 Promo car.

Yep,..those were the days! Thanks for the support, I appreciate it.

Ja, endlich!

Ich wollte ein bisschen Deutsch mit unseren deutschen Mitgliedern versuchen.

Ich bin es leid, nur in Englisch / Amerikanisch zu denken, ... es wird langweilig ... Ich denke seit 35 Jahren auf Englisch nach, ... das ist lange genug. Etwas anderes ist gut.

I shoulda listened to Oma more I guess...all I got was:

steck dein spielzeug weg oder sonst kind

Baby steps:

Fresh rebuild of correct #672-6BBL Torque-Flight to factory 6BBL specs. Slight upgrades to clutch pack and friction discs.

Transmission likely is a warrenty replacement 6BBL transmission from a 6BBL Sport Fury GT. (Based on dated C-body specific tail shaft) The #672 is date coded and part number correct for The Black Car! Will detail cases before installing.
2970D283-6078-4E1D-A8BD-AA03C6285F7C.jpeg
97783129-A61C-4C27-97ED-CBBE92484D6E.jpeg
43276616-9D86-48C7-9DBA-8AB537FF253C.jpeg

Last edited:
rare trans!.. whats different on the tail housings?..never compared any!

rare trans!.. whats different on the tail housings?..never compared any!

Hey Dan,....yep,.. really rare Torque-Flight, the best part is the assembly date!

The difference in the tail shaft is small, simple but meaningful. It's the transmission mounting point. A C-body 727 tail shaft has 5/8" studs for the mount, whereas an A,B, or E-Body uses bolts, so the "mounting holes" would be empty on an A, B, or E-Body. Different cars, different mounts, different production methods. It's in the parts book/catalog etc. So,... C-Body 727 tail shafts have studs for the transmission mount. Who knew? I had no idea until my trans builder mentioned I had the correct C-Body tail shaft. I confirmed this with other MoPar transmission experts.

Cool part of the hobby,.....learning about small details from other folks!

The main case casting date and the tail shaft casting dates are the same month, so it's possible that my #672 6BBL 727, was a warranty replacement for a 6BBL GT, as there is no VIN stamp on the VIN pad.

It's a total "home run" for the car........now I just have to find the numbers engine.

The 6BBL transmission came from Georgia by the way.....

Last edited:
@FuryPursuit. Best of luck with the restoration of your GT. Definitely looking forward to seeing the progress, and especially the finished car. Please post pics as you go if you can.:thumbsup::D

Hey Dan,....yep,.. really rare Torque-Flight, the best part is the assembly date!

The difference in the tail shaft is small, simple but meaningful. It's the transmission mounting point. A C-body 727 tail shaft has 5/8" studs for the mount, whereas an A,B, or E-Body uses bolts, so the "mounting holes" would be empty on an A, B, or E-Body. Different cars, different mounts, different production methods. It's in the parts book/catalog etc. So,... C-Body 727 tail shafts have studs for the transmission mount. Who knew? I had no idea until my trans builder mentioned I had the correct C-Body tail shaft. I confirmed this with other MoPar transmission experts.

The main case casting date and the tail shaft casting dates are the same month, so it's possible that my #672 6BBL 727, was a warranty replacement for a 6BBL GT, as there is no VIN stamp on the VIN pad.

It's a total "home run" for the car........now I just have to find the numbers engine.

sure would be something if it came from your car!

Good info!
How did you end up finding such a rare trans? How does one even search for that? Hell, it took me a few years just to find a 489 w/ sure grip that was in good condition, and I wasn't limited by date numbers.

Are the studs pressed in or threaded? I can't remember what my replacement trans had, but it bolted right in, so I must have lucked out and got a C-body tail shaft.

........now I just have to find the numbers engine.

Legend has it the #'s motor still exists....is that still the accepted truth? That would be amazing if you could find the motor.....your car would be just "that" much better with it. But even if you don't I personally could care less.:thumbsup:

Good info!
How did you end up finding such a rare trans? How does one even search for that? Hell, it took me a few years just to find a 489 w/ sure grip that was in good condition, and I wasn't limited by date numbers.

Are the studs pressed in or threaded? I can't remember what my replacement trans had, but it bolted right in, so I must have lucked out and got a C-body tail shaft.

The studs are threaded on a C-Body tail shaft.

How did I find it? Searching for 1,479 days. Every day.....

In those 1,479 days I found 3 correct #672 6BBL transmissions, but the date codes were not correct, so I passed on them.

I was very fortunate to find this 6BBL-727. It’s 100% correct for the car in every way, and it’s possible it may have been from my car originally.

It’s hard to find dated and correct parts, so I know your pain.

Last edited:
Legend has it the #'s motor still exists....is that still the accepted truth? That would be amazing if you could find the motor.....your car would be just "that" much better with it. But even if you don't I personally could care less.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments guys!

I believe the original engine is still around. I was told it may be in a drag boat, possibly in Georgia or the south somewhere.

I’m looking for it.....any help is appreciated....and a healthy finders fee will be granted!

Find this 440 block 0F143370 and the beer is free for a year!

Last edited:
Back