C-Body Holy Grail Restoration Starts Here; 1970 6BBL GT

Thanks for the comments guys!

I believe the original engine is still around. I was told it may be in a drag boat, possibly in Georgia or the south somewhere.

I’m looking for it.....any help is appreciated....and a healthy finders fee will be granted!

Find this 440 block 0F143370 and the beer is free for a year!

You should tell us the story of this quest.

I LOOKED FOR IT FOR YEARS ALSO...OLD MAN POTEETE COULD NOT REMEMBER IF THE ENGINE/TRANS WAS IN IT WHEN HE GOT THE CAR OR NOT..I SUSPECT IT WASN'T.. I TALKED TO HIS SON ALSO WHO DIDN'T REMEMBER IT HAVING THE ENGINE.. MY BLK/ORANGE CARS 440-6 ENGINE WAS THE ONE THAT WAS SOLD TO THE BOAT RACER IN PENN, DELAWARE, MARYLAND AREA AFTER IT WAS HURT BY ORIG OWNER [RAN LOW ON OIL].. SO MANY STORIES TO KEEP STRAIGHT!..

I LOOKED FOR IT FOR YEARS ALSO...OLD MAN POTEETE COULD NOT REMEMBER IF THE ENGINE/TRANS WAS IN IT WHEN HE GOT THE CAR OR NOT..I SUSPECT IT WASN'T.. I TALKED TO HIS SON ALSO WHO DIDN'T REMEMBER IT HAVING THE ENGINE.. MY BLK/ORANGE CARS 440-6 ENGINE WAS THE ONE THAT WAS SOLD TO THE BOAT RACER IN PENN, DELAWARE, MARYLAND AREA AFTER IT WAS HURT BY ORIG OWNER [RAN LOW ON OIL].. SO MANY STORIES TO KEEP STRAIGHT!..

any stories on the 70 b5s missing power train??:D :poke:

I assume you have been running "wanted" adds on craigslist etc for that 440 motor with that VIN?

I have but not as many as I probably should.

Got any ideas/help/suggestions? I’m all ears!

Last edited:

Thanks Dan. I thought “the boat” story was about the black/black car. My mistake, I’ll keep looking! Thanks!

D404ABFF-F581-4F15-BDEE-14B0529B342A.jpeg
AB8FAC4B-1F91-4D4A-B871-DDC22C3FD7FE.jpeg
6F106BD5-11B4-42FF-8650-B1B01BDA4E1C.jpeg
A2C38644-7AAA-42EF-BCE4-54CDF6AF102B.jpeg
5339B7DF-6C5E-47BF-90E7-F767C188C82C.jpeg
I got these from Tom @ Rocket Restorations. Correct NOS exhaust hangers. I Cleaned and restored/de-rusted them with Evaporust and vinigar blend.

That is the original “mill finish” they are NOT sandblasted or painted.

I have but not as many as I probably should.

Got any ideas/help/suggestions? I’m all ears!

Well if I were looking I would post up wanted ads on craigslist, and any mopar site I could sign up for, pretty much anywhere I think it might be found. Say your willing to have a fresh short block built to replace the motor if it's currently in a vehicle, and/or willing to pay the equivalent in cash if the motor is just sitting, but all dependent on it being the proper motor and in usable shape. Guess it depends on how badly you want the original motor.....;)

Will you be sealing the metal against further rust? If so, what method do you prefer?

A blend of paraffin, clear kerosene, and Johnson hard wood floor wax. It won’t rust again in my lifetime.

You can score all this stuff at garage sales/estate sales for a few bucks.

Thanks Dan. I thought “the boat” story was about the black/black car. My mistake, I’ll keep looking! Thanks!

trev your car went to a mechanic at a local dealer iirc then disappeared showing up in georgia in poteetes wrecking yard... my blk orange car was known by a few guys in

the town because the owner was a crescent tool salesman..traveled all over the east coast from what i gather... he refused to talk to me about the car..and is surely gone

the boat racer story came from..one of the guys who knew the orig owner and he told him he sold it to the boat guy ..

trev your car went to a mechanic at a local dealer iirc then disappeared showing up in georgia in poteetes wrecking yard... my blk orange car was known by a few guys in

the town because the owner was a crescent tool salesman..traveled all over the east coast from what i gather... he refused to talk to me about the car..and is surely gone

the boat racer story came from..one of the guys who knew the orig owner and he told him he sold it to the boat guy ..

That’s right, thanks for the clarification Dan. The original engine may be out there somewhere.

I’ll try and look a little harder!

90B29C39-7396-46D7-9DAC-D0807B0BE50E.jpeg
The Unusual Suspects, all correct and date coded parts. They are harder to find than you would think....

The 6BBL was likely built from Oct 7th thru Oct 13th 1969. According to invoice, fender tag SPD, and dated parts.

- Thanks to Mike for helping me with the 440 Dual Point distributor-

144A29F4-4E6C-4847-B026-372475E51298.jpeg

4713B0A8-F44C-4D7A-9CBA-0BA918F60E68.jpeg

825D593D-066D-40C8-9E4B-C27BDAAD15CC.jpeg

FE4BEF9B-5431-49C0-BA27-683FA19CF992.jpeg

C840AF9F-D504-4379-BD41-5B4D480D3AAC.jpeg

C252507B-B84F-463A-B63E-944401ECF48B.jpeg
This photo is the second meeting “1970 Sport Fury 6BBL Owners Group” at MCACN 2018. In front of Dave’s 70 Sport Fury GT 6BBL.

6BBL Group Owners:
Billy Fury, Dave, Rod , Trev.

Last edited:
No photo of Tom and Gary Hergert? I heard they were there too.

Tom was there, but he’s not a 6BBL GT owner, so he’s not in the photo.

We took the photo just for fun, because we could. We were all admiring Dave’s 6BBL and realized we had a group of owners together,...so why not?

Back