Can you easliy put 1968 chyrsler 300 hideaway healights on a 67 chrysler 300?

emmd61

Reaction score
I have a 67 300 convertible that I would like to customize a bit. Like the 68 grill look better. Is this an easy swap? Thanks

I feel like I've seen this done once before. I'm guessing (just a guess) that if you have all of the '68 parts on hand, it should just be a matter of removing the original stuff and bolting on the newer stuff. My guesses have been wrong before though, so take it with a grain of salt. I'd wait for one of the "old man with a hat" folks to chime in, as they are almost never wrong about anything.

It MIGHT be IF the mounting locations are on the 1967 front end sheet metal. You'd need to look at the 1968 system and see IF it can easily mount to the 1967 sheet metal. All things considered, I'm suspecting that Chrysler just adapted the '68 system to existing '67 sheet metal, with brackets and such, rather than design a one year only situation, due to production/tooling costs.

Be aware, also, that the earlier systems were not quite as reliable as the later systems from the 1980s and later. Yes, there was a back-up manual method to open the headlight doors, but that in itself could be a pain to deal with.

I, too, like the 1968 300s, BUT each model year has it's own charm about them. Might be easier, in the long run, to find a '68 300 you like better than your '67. OR just admire the '68 300s and relish the fact YOU aren't having to deal with any issues with that system.

In my situation, I always liked the 300s better than a Newport or New Yorker, but I found that a NY was a bit "too good" for me and I usually found Newports rather than the 300s when I was looking. Just like I wanted to find a '70-'71 T-bird for my "nice" car after college, but found my '70 Monaco Brougham 4-dr hardtop instead (with W23s and 383/330 too!). But my favorite 300 of those years was the '68 300 conv.

When I finally DID happen to find a '68 300 convertible, in the 1980s, it was showing some age and the price was too high for what it was, to me. So I looked on. I already had my '67 Newport Fast Top (bucket seat interior and 383 4bbl), so I was already pretty much there, without the need for spending more money. The '67 Newport bucket seat interior was the 300 seats with Newport dash and door trim. Mine came with the buddy seat and armrest, but I later found a console assy that was in good condition. It's still uninstalled.

So every time I went looking for a 300, a Newport or something else always happened. I can take that as a blessing, as it turned out. Used Newport parts are easier to find, too!

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

It MIGHT be IF the mounting locations are on the 1967 front end sheet metal. You'd need to look at the 1968 system and see IF it can easily mount to the 1967 sheet metal. All things considered, I'm suspecting that Chrysler just adapted the '68 system to existing '67 sheet metal, with brackets and such, rather than design a one year only situation, due to production/tooling costs.

Be aware, also, that the earlier systems were not quite as reliable as the later systems from the 1980s and later. Yes, there was a back-up manual method to open the headlight doors, but that in itself could be a pain to deal with.

I, too, like the 1968 300s, BUT each model year has it's own charm about them. Might be easier, in the long run, to find a '68 300 you like better than your '67. OR just admire the '68 300s and relish the fact YOU aren't having to deal with any issues with that system.

In my situation, I always liked the 300s better than a Newport or New Yorker, but I found that a NY was a bit "too good" for me and I usually found Newports rather than the 300s when I was looking. Just like I wanted to find a '70-'71 T-bird for my "nice" car after college, but found my '70 Monaco Brougham 4-dr hardtop instead (with W23s and 383/330 too!). But my favorite 300 of those years was the '68 300 conv.

When I finally DID happen to find a '68 300 convertible, in the 1980s, it was showing some age and the price was too high for what it was, to me. So I looked on. I already had my '67 Newport Fast Top (bucket seat interior and 383 4bbl), so I was already pretty much there, without the need for spending more money. The '67 Newport bucket seat interior was the 300 seats with Newport dash and door trim. Mine came with the buddy seat and armrest, but I later found a console assy that was in good condition. It's still uninstalled.

So every time I went looking for a 300, a Newport or something else always happened. I can take that as a blessing, as it turned out. Used Newport parts are easier to find, too!

Just my experiences,
CBODY67
Newports are easier to find... I'm stuck on the NYer grill and tail lights from 68 though.

Even if you get the '68 items installed, you'll still need the factory harness (or similar) to work the motor. Plus possibly a new headlight switch, unless you run things with some sort of switching for "open" and "closed".

What you need is an unmolested '68 300 to use as a parts car. Consider that many cars in the salvage yard are there due to frontal collision damage (rather than "blow'd up motors, unless up north) . . .

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back