Can't seem to fill the fuel tank in '67 Newport.

OneEyed

Reaction score
Here's another problem that's been bugging me since I bought it. I have a 25 gallon tank but I think the most I've ever gotten into it is like 12 or so. I can put a little gas in but after a few seconds it shuts off and I get a little bit splashing out. Even tried squeezing the trigger as little as possible to make the stream smaller but still shuts off and spills out. At one gas station I was able to get parked on a little incline to raise the rear of the car up but that didn't seem to help. I can get a good 8-10 gallons in before I start having this problem. I am pushing the gas nozzle in as far as I can.

Gas fill is behind license plate and low to the ground.

Any ideas?

Maybe your gas gauge is reading inaccurately. So it's not reading full when it is, and is reading empty when it isn't.

(Which, by the way, is something I think I have going on on my Imperial.)

Maybe your gas gauge is reading inaccurately. So it's not reading full when it is, and is reading empty when it isn't.

(Which, by the way, is something I think I have going on on my Imperial.)

That would be my guess. When the gauge is on "E" there is still 15 gallons in the tank.
To start with I'd put a couple gallons in the trunk and run the tank dry then fill er up.
Once you know where the problem it will be easier to fix.

On my truck I needed to bend the sender a little so when it was empty it was on "E", the gauge was hitting "E" long before I was out by maybe 100 miles. Now it reads good top and bottom. If you have a worn out sender just get it to read "e" when empty, doesn't matter what full is.

Alan

Back