Car just stalled while driving .

So! If one were to consider going aftermarket to perminatly replace a said OE distributor, since he may not want to end up on the side of the road again when the NEW pick-up coil he replaced goes bag again, what suggestions would the Crew have on which aftermarket distributor to choose? I want to keep the OE look if possible.. Ready, set, Go!

Contrary to what others have said, PULL THE DISTRIBUTOR OUT BEFORE YOU START TO WORK ON IT. If you accidently drop one of the screws in the dist. you will have to pull it to get it out or when it jams, it WILL break the locating tab at the base of the shaft. 1. Mark your rotor location, and general distributor location. Pull the distributor, remove the vacuum advance unit, Pull the reluctor, (Be very careful of the roll pin), then remove the pick up plate. Reassembly is the exact opposite of the above procedure. after you get it put back together, set the air gap with a NON METALIC FEELER GAGE. Then put it back in the car and reset the timing.

Meant to ask.. Why Non-metallic feeler? I never seen one made of anything else. Do tell..

Meant to ask.. Why Non-metallic feeler? I never seen one made of anything else. Do tell..
Okay, for all the distributors out there the original Chrysler one is the best on the market period. Trust me on this one. The other designs out there from the aftermarket use the General Motors design, which also has the same problem, the pick up coil will break because it moves back and forth as the distributor moves the timing, you can only flex metal for so long. Chryslers design lasts 10 times longer than the Generals design, and is far easier to work on. Also we old timers remember that feeler gauges used to be made from regular metal before electronic ignition came along, and the magnet in the pick up will grab the metal feeler gauge and give you a false reading.

So! If one were to consider going aftermarket to perminatly replace a said OE distributor, since he may not want to end up on the side of the road again when the NEW pick-up coil he replaced goes bag again, what suggestions would the Crew have on which aftermarket distributor to choose? I want to keep the OE look if possible.. Ready, set, Go!
The Chrysler electronic is hard to beat. Problem with most aftermarket ignition is when it fails how far are you from home because most likely you will be waiting for buster brown to deliver parts from summit/jegs, I know that most advance or az can get a new pick up coil or ecu later that day or first thing next am even Sundays. My 2 cents.

You use the brass feeler because the pick up is magnetic and would tend to pull on a steel feeler and thus result in a screwed up gap. The brass feeler avoids any problems like that and allows you to set the gap properly.

thats cool, but there is another one. i just bought a felpro 1214 valley pan and it came with 3 distributor gaskets - 2 rubber o rings and 1 flat paper.

i was wondering if it is a selection 383/400, or if im supposed to use all 3 provided, or whats up.

- saylor

Felpro, although they make some of the best gaskets on the market, are just like any aftermarket company and will include a number of pieces that are not needed to avoid liability. All you need to replace is the "O" ring on the distributor to seal any oil leaking from there,

You use the brass feeler because the pick up is magnetic and would tend to pull on a steel feeler and thus result in a screwed up gap. The brass feeler avoids any problems like that and allows you to set the gap properly.

Thank you sir. I'll go to my local part place and see if they have one. If not, I'll look online.

Final update: she's back on the road running smooth as silk. I ended up just purchasing a reman distributor from Napa. It seem more cost-effective than piecing the oldest distributor together, Plus it comes with a warranty. I also replaced the plugs, the wires, the cap, The rotor, ECM, voltage regulator and resistor. Been driving for the past two days and so far so good. Just wanted to thank you all for your input and suggestions. You guys are awesome and very informative and helpful. Hope to meet you all someday as shows come and go.

Ill be there in spirit (mostly, lol)..but anyways glad you whipped it back in shape.

Final update: she's back on the road running smooth as silk. I ended up just purchasing a reman distributor from Napa. It seem more cost-effective than piecing the oldest distributor together, Plus it comes with a warranty. I also replaced the plugs, the wires, the cap, The rotor, ECM, voltage regulator and resistor. Been driving for the past two days and so far so good. Just wanted to thank you all for your input and suggestions. You guys are awesome and very informative and helpful. Hope to meet you all someday as shows come and go.

What about the thermostat? Did you replace the thermostat?

Back