Carb jetting

tim howe

Reaction score
I have a 66 Sport Fury with a 383 that was originally from a 66 Dodge p/u truck. It was a 2bbl and the previous owner converted it to 4bbl with an Edelbrock 1406. He said it used to be on a 327 Chevy and was jetted for such. Should I re-jet this for a 383 or leave it alone? Or should I change the metering springs? Any help appreciated

I have a 66 Sport Fury with a 383 that was originally from a 66 Dodge p/u truck. It was a 2bbl and the previous owner converted it to 4bbl with an Edelbrock 1406. He said it used to be on a 327 Chevy and was jetted for such. Should I re-jet this for a 383 or leave it alone? Or should I change the metering springs? Any help appreciated
Start off by doing the basics.
Get a vacuum guage check what it is reading,check the timing for a baseline.
If still a stock camshaft 17,18 inches of vacuum is perfect with a steady needle on the guage.
Is there any bog? detonation? running hot? Does the exhaust smell like rotten eggs or like really gassy?

Every engine is different and do benefit from fine tuning.

Once the baselines are noted, then you can determine if the carb needs rejetting,or different metering rods,or adjust the setting of the accelerator pump.
Hope this helps

At recent points in time, I would suspect the metering "target" would be a Chevy 350 rather than a 327. FWIW In any event, baseline everything (as mentioned above) to see where all of the tuning references might be. You can check the existing jets and rod sizes against a Chrysler FSM (www.mymopar.com free download) and go from there. The particular power piston springs are probably fine as even on the similar Holley OEM 4bbls (Ford, GM, and Chry), almost all of them had a 5.5" Hg power valve.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks guys, actually I found paperwork from the previous owner that he sent with the car and I now believe the 327 was punched out to 406C.I. May have been jetted for this also but I will try all the suggestions.

Back