Carb Question

The Stromberg WWC3- 2bbls, as I understand it, were far worse than the Holley 2210-family carbs in the air horn warpage issue . . . according to the late, old-line Chrysl

er service manager at the local dealer. Seems that most of those problems tended to surface when the carbs were overhauled. The cars ran as expected, but the mpg was about 11mpg no matter what (town or highway). He mentioned planing the underside of the air horns, using a piece of plate glass as his straightedge.

I learned about the cold start-warmup richness first hand on our '66 Newport 383 2bbl. Plus building a few spacer gaskets to seal the rear of the float bowl and keep the vac in the power valve port going to the power valve itself.

In one respect, I feel that the air cleaner designs (base plate + top piece) contributed to the warpage issue. It was quite common to tighten things down enough so that you KNEW the filter was being squished a bit inside of the contraption. When they changed the design to be a "bottom piece" with the flat top, there was less mystery of how the filter was being contacted on both sides, so generally less torque, as you could see how much the top of the top plate was deforming.

The Carter BBD, and others, which used the outer section of the air horn air cleaner circle to attach the air cleaner mechanism usually didn't have these issues, by observation, as all of the clamping force was at the edge of the airhorn rather than in the center. I suspect, that the requirement for the center stud arrangement was not fully engineered-for in those adapted earlier castings? Hence the issues the Stromberg WWC and Holley 2210-family carbs seemed to have.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

Back