CATL 2022: C-bodies At The Lake on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2021 (Clinton Lake, IL to Kokomo Plant, IN)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Mark your calendars: the fourth CATL Drive (aka the 2022 Edition) is on!

The first (2019) CATL ran from Rockford, IL to the old Pabst Brewery in Milwaukee and onto Racine, WI (for beers and car discussions with @70 Sport Suburban) in September 2019, with a stop on Lake Michigan's western shore. The 2020 CATL ran from Rockford via St Charles, IL and Hammond, IN to the Indiana Dunes National Park, on Lake Michigan's southern shore. The 2021 CATL
ran from a spot on Historic Route 66 in Dwight, IL to a much smaller body of water in Fox Lake, IL.

@david hill is helping me plan this year's CATL. He will bring his 1969 300 TNT 'vert, and I shall bring Buttercup, my 1972 NYB.

--> Date = Sept. 17, 2022, 9AM-4PM: As in the last two years, this run will take place on the third Saturday of September. Should the weather not cooperate that day, the rainy-day date would most likely be the following Saturday, September 25, 2022.

--> Type of event: This is not a stationary show -- Tim's annual C-Body Shows have that corner of the "market" covered in spades. As in 2019-2021, the idea of a CATL is to drive C-bodies through smaller roads to some nice locations. Along the way and at the end, of course, we park the cars/eat/shoot the breeze. The route is chosen so that folks can join or depart along the way, and thus not commit to a full day if they do not wish to do so.

--> Starting point/time: the 2022 CATL will depart at 9AM from the Boondocks Grill & Bait in Clinton Lake, IL. The exact address is 7251 Ranger Rd in De Witt, IL. For those interested in breakfast, I plan to be there early and to order and start eating mine at 8:30AM.

--> Final destination: Chrysler's Kokomo Transmission plant in Kokomo, IN at 4PM.

--> Itinerary: I have attached a clickable map of the itinerary. @SGVert @73 New Yorker and I (and hopefully others, I am looking at you @tallhair and @arkmorris) will depart from Clinton Lake Beach at 9AM and drive up IL-14 for a couple of miles, then head north-east on IL-54 to Gibson City, IL. We will then head east to Lafayette, IN on IL-9 and IN-26. Lunch will be at The Bryant, just off IN-52 at the northern edge of Lafayette. After lunch, we take 52 to the Sagamore Parkway, then turn left on Schuyler Ave (old Rt 25) and continue on Old State Route 25 along the Wabash river till the Delphi airport. At that point, we make a quick right and left to get on to the new IN-25 (which becomes IN-35 south of Logan, IN) and continue on 35 till Walton, IN. There, the Marathon gas station is our pointer for making a left onto IN-218, which takes us all the way to IN-31. We make a right onto 31, which will take us southbound to the Grissom Air Museum. Finally, we drive further south to the Kokomo plant, using first IN-31 and then IN-35 (to avoid most of downtown Kokomo; locals @Jeffrey Cowell and @Stoney feel free to chime in). After making a cruise around the plant, we take a final set of pics in the parking lot and head back to our homes!

Note: For those of you who come from further away and would want to overnight, I highly recommend the Whittaker Inn just north of Lafayette. Rip will vouch for it, too -- reasonably priced and great quality/restful. It is easily reached taking IN-26 west from Kokomo back to Lafayette, IN.

--> Stops along the way:

(1) 8:30-9AM in Clinton Lake (Dewitt, IL): Boondocks Grill & Bait parking lot. Breakfast at 8:30AM for those interested. We depart at 9AM.
(2) 9:40-10AM in Gibson City, IL: We plan to make a stop at Petersen Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep, so that folks from Bloomington, Peoria or Peru (I am looking at you, @BLIMP and @blue88 ) can join us there. We leave at 10AM.
(3) 11:45-1PM in Lafayette, IN: Lunch time! @Ripinator and I had an excellent dinner at The Bryant Food & Drink Co. They are just off IN-52, which should make it easier for folks coming from Chicago/Gary or Indy to join us there. The Bryant restaurant has a large patio / outside seating, and there's plenty of parking space. We leave at 1PM.
(4) 2-2:45PM at the Grissom Air Museum near Grissom Air Force Base, IN. Photo time! We leave at 2:45PM.
(5) 3:30-4PM at the Kokomo, IN Chrysler transmission plant south parking lot. We end the run at 4PM.

Members @david hill , @SGVert , and @73 New Yorker have already told me that they would do the CATL this year. @sixpkrt and @fury fan are both hopeful that they can make it as well, and there is also a chance that @71Polara383 will be able to join. Who else?

The advantage of this year's choice of art and end point is that it allows a mid-point for the CATL in Lafayette, IN -- which is roughly equidistant to Chicago and Indianapolis, thereby allowing folks from IL, IN and southwest MI to attend at least part of the event. Leaving Dewitt, IL at 9AM should get us to Lafayette around 11:30AM, even if we stop at the Chrysler dealership in Gibson City, IL.

@Xenon @BLIMP @70NEWYORKER @metaldad @swartzed @MarPar @Wonderwagon @furious70 @Cbodies69-73 @Billy Bats @Sport Fury 67 @Chopperbob1 @drh4683 @Biggie @Asleep at the Meal @sgtmac1 @300E @Air Force Polara @furyusvip @Grizzly's Garage @B to C @Popslavaz @Brian Parrino @70 Droptop @Ed Wagner @Skins69 @BUBBAZ488 @IAG @william @Dan Wolf @Jdlov @gkellm @plum360415 @Casey @blue88 @haywire 440 @chilsam @The Captain @moparblake @arkmorris @Shamu70 @badvs3vil @Casey @Clutch Carnage @Davews @blue88 @gregory cotten @Georges77

@traintech55 @Georges77 @73Gold @74newport @fury fan @Jeffrey Cowell @jlcowell @Stoney 65 Fury @streetmachine @Patinad70Polara @Superlite1969 @SportFury

@70 Sport Suburban @JPMODL @tallhair @Stanj @Cags70PolaraConvert (and anyone else from further afield, who is interested and can make it)

Final itinerary.png

Last edited:
Have fun! In Kokomo, if you need a restaurant, the Half Moon brewery just south of the plant is good. There's also Ray's Drive In on the north side, the best tenderloins and kind of a period feel location.

Sound like a GREAT activity! Possibly some YouTube "action shots" along the way?

Have FUN! The cars and their owners!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Very well-written and organized! I cannot predict my family obligations that far out, but this would be a fabulous way to meet some people in person.
With some luck (and hard work) maybe I can have the car prepped for a road trip to Lafayette for the remainder of the run.

Sounds great, @ayilar! Love non-static shows. Driving with our cars is what it‘s all about, and CATL sounds like an awesome concept.

I would definitely let the day end at a brewery or something alike, with everybody staying in a nearby hotel.

Wish I could join the fun!

Looking thru the 35-page "It´s time for the Slab picture thread", I found a few Indiana members that might be interested?
Some of them have not been active in a few years but hopefully they'll pop up again?

@Steven Jones, @familee, @Jeremy Hunter, @Rexer @bigandtall, @jct
Thank you!

After reading your post today, I booked a large table outside at The Bryant from 11:45am-1pm. I will adjust the head count as we get closer to the date, but we now have our lunch spot confirmed.

The 2022 CATL is now just two weeks away. @SGVert @sixpkrt @73 New Yorker @david hill @fury fan @71Polara383 @Mingo @ksc -- planning still to be there?
The weather forecast, FWIW two weeks out, promises sunny weather and nice temps (75-80F depending on time of day and location).

1662214042636.png

:thumbsup:

Once David checks out that the exact itinerary will not be impacted by ongoing road work around Lafayette/Grissom, I will post zoomed-in maps and make a broadcast call to all members who I think/hope may be able to join.

Last edited:
My calendar is marked and the day reserved. Whether my car will be ready is another story, I am working to diagnose/repair some rearend noise.
If the car is unwilling, I will be seeking someone with an empty passenger seat. I want to meet you guys.

I bumped into @Rexer at a recent car show and invited him to join.
I hadn't ever met him, but recognized his car (from on pictures posted on here) and walked back periodically waiting for the owner to be there. Happened to catch him just as he was preparing to leave the show.

The 2022 CATL is now just two weeks away. @SGVert @sixpkrt @73 New Yorker @david hill @fury fan @71Polara383 @Mingo @ksc -- planning still to be there?
The weather forecast, FWIW two weeks out, promises sunny weather and nice temps (75-78F depending on time of day and location). :thumbsup:

Once David checks out that the exact itinerary will not be impacted by ongoing road work around Lafayette/Grissom, I will post zoomed-in maps and make a broadcast call to all members who I think/hope may be able to join.
I’m still on for the event, but I’ll have to head home after lunch as there’s another family event I need to attend.

My calendar is marked and the day reserved. Whether my car will be ready is another story, I am working to diagnose/repair some rearend noise.
If the car is unwilling, I will be seeking someone with an empty passenger seat. I want to meet you guys.

I bumped into @Rexer at a recent car show and invited him to join.
I hadn't ever met him, but recognized his car (from on pictures posted on here) and walked back periodically waiting for the owner to be there. Happened to catch him just as he was preparing to leave the show.
Dang it Chris, you're going to make me try to make this to meet you :)
Hopefully my oil leak from one of the turbo drains is fixed. Work is messing with my drag week plans as well

Wish I could join..
Too far is a poor excuse! Lol
Unfortunately I have other obligations at home and at work.
YouTube updates would be great if Wyatt post them on his channel!!

For those Indiana members if you would like to meet up and travel in a caravan Pm me. My plan is to meet Michel and those coming from Il. at The Bryant for lunch in Lafayette In. Where to get together is flexible and open to discussion.

I’m in to at least lunch. I’ll be traveling by myself so weather, time and how the car is running will all be factors for me. I plan on being at Boondocks at 8am for breakfast.

38C8CAE2-9A84-4923-9986-0DC53B255CB5.jpeg

I’m still on for the event, but I’ll have to head home after lunch as there’s another family event I need to attend.
Cool -- will you be at Clinton Lake sometime before our departure time of 9AM, or will join up at the Chrysler dealership in Gibson City around 9:15AM?

Dang it Chris, you're going to make me try to make this to meet you :)
Hopefully my oil leak from one of the turbo drains is fixed.
I sure hope so -- keeping luncheon seats for you and @fury fan at The Bryant!

For those Indiana members if you would like to meet up and travel in a caravan Pm me. My plan is to meet (...) those coming from IL at The Bryant for lunch in Lafayette In. Where to get together is flexible and open to discussion.
Cool! @SGVert @73 New Yorker and I will hopefully meet up with @71Polara383 (not 100% sure, but hopeful) and @sixpkrt (ditto)

I’m in to at least lunch. I’ll be traveling by myself so weather, time and how the car is running will all be factors for me. I plan on being at Boondocks at 8am for breakfast.
Perfect. I should arrive there around 8:15AM. We can then compare steering wheels on your '73 and my '72 NYBs :)

Last edited:
OK folks, the weather forecast looks to be superb (a low 5% chance of rain at all points long the itinerary, with temps in the low 80s), so the 2022 CATL is on for next Saturday!

As note above, at least three (@SGVert @73 New Yorker and myself) and possibly five or more of us will be leaving from the departure point in Illinois. For sure, @david hill and several other members from IL and IN will be joining at The Bryant in West Lafayette, IN. I hope that more will join as well, for all or part of the drive!

The itinerary is confirmed (see overall map above), here are the finer details -- PART 1, morning:

1. Start from Clinton Lake, IL (9AM departure; breakfast 8:15AM for those who want it -- that includes @73 New Yorker @SGVert and yours truly):
1662835223155.png

Zooming in the departure point -- Boondocks Grill in the Clinton Lake park:
1662835238261.png

2. 9:40-10AM, Petersen Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Gibson City, IL. We take IL-14 to IL-54 to IL-9 in Gibson City to get to our first stop at that dealership. Here is a close-up of the environs:
1662835323209.png

3. We drive straight east on IL-47, which becomes IL-9 and then Indiana SR-26. When SR-26 hits SR-41, we make a left when IN-26 intersects IN-41 then a right at IN-352, and finally we merge onto IN-52, which takes us straight to The Bryant:

CATL 2022 leg2 revised.png

NOTE that SR-26 is undergoing some work, so (about 4-5 miles after crossing the state line) rather than continuing onto IN-26, we make a left when 26 hits a T at IN-41:

CATL 2022 leg2 revised_ZOOM.png

4. 11:45-1PM: lunch at The Bryant in West Lafayette, IN

5. (See the second part of the itinerary below).

@Xenon @BLIMP @70NEWYORKER @metaldad @swartzed @MarPar @Wonderwagon @furious70 @Cbodies69-73 @Billy Bats @Sport Fury 67 @Chopperbob1 @drh4683 @Biggie @Asleep at the Meal @sgtmac1 @300E @Air Force Polara @furyusvip
@Grizzly's Garage @B to C @Popslavaz @Brian Parrino @70 Droptop @Ed Wagner @Skins69 @BUBBAZ488 @IAG @william @Dan Wolf @Jdlov @gkellm @plum360415 @Casey @blue88 @haywire 440 @chilsam @The Captain @moparblake @arkmorris @Shamu70 @badvs3vil @Casey @Clutch Carnage @Davews @blue88 @gregory cotten @Georges77 @73 New Yorker

@traintech55 @Georges77 @73Gold @74newport @fury fan @Jeffrey Cowell @jlcowell @Stoney 65 Fury @streetmachine @Patinad70Polara @Superlite1969 @SportFury @Steven Jones @familee @bigandtall @jct @Rexer @Jeremy Hunter @John Boy

@70 Sport Suburban @JPMODL @tallhair @Stanj @Cags70PolaraConvert @detmatt @tntnewport (and anyone else from further afield, who is interested and can make it)

1662835184686.png

Last edited:
Here is Part 2 (after lunch).

In short. after leaving Lafayette, we head to the Grissom Air Base and onto the Kokomo plant that is our final destination.

5. 1PM, we leave The Bryant. Here is a close-up view of how we drive eastward from the restaurant toward Delphi. NOTE that we take the Old Stage Rd 25 -- NOT the new IN-25 -- so that we can follow the Wabash River:

1662837987144.png

6. Once we pass Americus, we get back onto the new SR-25 in order to avoid going through Delphi:

1662838652467.png

Here is a close-up of how to avoid the center of Delphi:

1662838689709.png

6. 2-2:45PM at the Grissom Air Museum. Zooming in on how we get to the museum, near the USAF base in Grissom. Note that there is a Marathon gas station just before entering Walton, IN (right where we turn left from SR-35 onto SR-218):
1662838950829.png

7. And finally onto the Kokomo plant:
1662838976529.png

Last edited:
Love to participate, but metting a friend that Ive reconnected with. He will be driving Super Stock in Indy next weekend, plan on being there. This looks like fun too.

Cool -- will you be at Clinton Lake sometime before our departure time of 9AM, or will join up at the Chrysler dealership in Gibson City around 9:15AM?

I sure hope so -- keeping luncheon seats for you and @fury fan at The Bryant!

Cool! @SGVert @73 New Yorker and I will hopefully meet up with @71Polara383 (not 100% sure, but hopeful) and @sixpkrt (ditto)

Perfect. I should arrive there around 8:15AM. We can then compare steering wheels on your '73 and my '72 NYBs :)
I plan on leaving early from the west suburbs (about 5:30) so I can get there in plenty of time for breakfast!

Thanks but the concour de elegance is next weekend and I’ll be participating in a companion event across the street at the Detroit Historical Museum.

Back