CATL 2023: C-bodies At The Lake on Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 16-17, 2023 (Route 66 from Chicago to St Louis)

The west bound route using the 1926-1930 route is done, adding in the doglegs and such that get us on a few pieces of older road.
Somehow I need to find the mileage - anyone know how to do that when you make a map like this?

And then I need to understand the post 1930 section for going back as it has some cool stuff as well.

This trip would check off one of the boxes on my bucket list, even if only taking old Rt 66 to St. Louis.
If wanting to start from DT Chicago, heading west on Adams, and if we can all meet up early enough, we can park our cars/wagons on Columbus Dr. until everyone is there, between Jackson & Monroe on the east side of the street.
Depart north on Columbus to Monroe and turn left. Then to Michigan Ave turn left, to Adams and turn right to the start of Route 66.
Once out the the Loop in DT Chicago, Adams will intersect with Ogden Ave. Once we turn left there, traffic won't be that crazy.

When looking at the route posted previously, while going through Normal IL, we should make a slight detour from the route park our cars for a picture in front of the Rivian Plant, like some of us have done in front of the Belvedere Assembly plant, comparatively noting how our older cars were once the way to travel, to the new technology of the electric vehicle, and the future of transportation.

Motorhead Bar & Grill restaurant in Springfield is supposed to have the largest Route 66 sign on the route.
Check this YouTube video at 7:10 for the location.
Another place that would be worth a visit is Country Classic Cars in Staunton, IL. Not sure if the itinerary allows for us driving that far south on Saturday, since they’re closed on Sunday. If passing through there on Sunday, maybe Michel can contact someone who works there meet us to let us in the gates.

I hope there are a bunch of us going on this trip. It sounds like a really good choice for the 2023 CATL drive.

I never answered the question about how far we go on Saturday - all the way to St. Louis is my thought. Stay down there, then work back on Sunday, stopping at the museums in Pontiac.
Country Classic Cars is on the Sunday route as it stands right now and would be a ways out of the way, we drive right by it on Sunday if they'd be around.

I never answered the question about how far we go on Saturday - all the way to St. Louis is my thought. Stay down there, then work back on Sunday, stopping at the museums in Pontiac.

Do we have a designated hotel in St. Louis?

nope, definitely could use help there. @ayilar had said something about a place either in this thread or PM. Need a cozy little place to tuck our cars into bed. Or a downtown place with secured parking? (I did that when I took my Hellcat overnight to Indy)

nope, definitely could use help there. @ayilar had said something about a place either in this thread or PM. Need a cozy little place to tuck our cars into bed. Or a downtown place with secured parking?
I have been to St Louis a number of times for work. The last two times (Spring 2022 and Spring 2023), I stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown St Louis. There is a huge open-air parking lot next to the hotel, which is illuminated at night and is (I was told by the hotel staff) patrolled 24/7.

FWIW, I parked my 1996 FWB there in 2022, and my 1996 RMW there in 2023. Zero issue, and I had no problem finding parking at night either time — the lot is pretty full during the day, but over half of the spots were empty after COB.

Here’s Betsy, my Roadie wagon, on the lot about three months ago. You can see what the lot looks like. The first photo shows the attendant’s cabin — it is dark, because the attendant patrols the lot (this and at least one other across the street, AFAIK — you can see the second lot in the background of the last photo) with his Camaro.

IMG_9087.jpeg

IMG_9086.jpeg

IMG_9084.jpeg

IMG_9083.jpeg

IMG_9081.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm still struggling with how to do the detailed map into something that can be used as driving directions and have google tell me time. If I try to build it in the google.com/maps/dir for directions it only lets me make so many route changes. it's at 5hrs 37min but doesn't have all the little changes in it. Could very well be 7hrs of driving on Sat.
Anyone know how to convert to a directions/navigation map?
Driving Route 66 - Illinois - JB - Google My Maps

Most of the higher rated hotels in St. Louis will probably be good for you all;
The Holiday inn downtown,
Most other places downtown are going to put you in a Parking Garage.
The Chase Park Plaza - (Parking Garage)
Cheshire Inn @ Forest Park (Parking Garage)
Drury Inn & Suites @ Forest Park - (Regular Lot)

& Be aware that sometimes the nightlife in Downtown St. Louis can be a little crazy; we are known now for crazy driving/racing through the streets, crowds of people you can assume to be armed, etc. but that's not like every night- just be aware and you'll be fine.

For sure, Do not book any place on the north side of town - That's all I'll say about that-
There are other good places a few miles west & south of the city also, Clayton, and South County
There are also hotels by the Airport which are not as nice, but they have big lots.

The Rivian plant was mentioned for a photo op - does anyone know if it's a good photo spot like the Belvidere plant is?

If a downtown St Louis hotel is desired, a suggestion is the Fairfield by Marriot. About t years old, a two story adjoining lot. Union Station parking is at an unsecured flat lot. The Drury in has an adjoing multi story parking lot, I'm not sure if it is exclusive to the lodging, have never stayed there. Schlafly Tap house, a micro brewer is good eats and walking distance from either. The Union Station hotel is starting to show its age, but okay, the Hotel Saint Louis an old Shearaton property was thread bare the last time I stayed there Some thoughts.

Alton illinois might be an option, there is McPike Mansion that could be an ending place to gather.

Last edited:
I have been to St Louis a number of times for work. The last two times (Spring 2022 and Spring 2023), I stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown St Louis. There is a huge open-air parking lot next to the hotel, which is illuminated at night and is (I was told by the hotel staff) patrolled 24/7.

FWIW, I parked my 1996 FWB there in 2022, and my 1996 RMW there in 2023. Zero issue, and I had no problem finding parking at night either time — the lot is pretty full during the day, but over half of the spots were empty after COB.

Here’s Betsy, my Roadie wagon, on the lot about three months ago. You can see what the lot looks like. The first photo shows the attendant’s cabin — it is dark, because the attendant patrols the lot (this and at least one other across the street, AFAIK — you can see the second lot in the background of the last photo) with his Camaro.

View attachment 609555

View attachment 609556

View attachment 609557

View attachment 609558

View attachment 609559
comfy ride?

This looks like a really cool event and really highlights the best thing about these C-bodies...cruising round this beautiful country in style and comfort taking in the scenery! Hopefully my schedule works out where I can make this event next year as I would love to take the 77 wagon on a full weekend cruise. I'm leaving that Sunday to head out to drag week. I will be cruising in something that is basically the exact opposite side of the spectrum of the C body in regards to cruising qualities lol. Have fun guys and can't wait to see the pics.

Thank you @Grannys67 and @Wonderwagon and to several others who sent suggestions via PM re: where to stay.

The winner for lodging is Collinsville, IL -- about 15' from downtown St. Louis. The Comfort Inn in Collinsville is the suggested hotel.

Collinsville is right next to Horseshoe Lake State Park, which checks the CATL (C-bodies At The Lake) box. For those interested in history, it is home to the Cahokia Mounds -- a National Historic Landmark that contains the largest prehistoric earthen construction in the Americas north of Mexico (and, as a result, is a National Historic Landmark and one of the 24 UNESCO World Heritage Sites within the United States). For those interested in trivia, the town has the world's tallest catsup bottle monument. And, we can fill up at Lowell's Mobil at 2000 Vandalia Street, which is on the old Route 66 and is a historic building. My post here provides more details and photos.

For lodging, the Comfort Inn in Collinsville is the suggested hotel. I picked the CI in part because of customer ratings and partly because it is immediately next to a Days Inn (lower-rated but much cheaper, and it's a fit for folks who collect Wyndham points) and a Hampton Inn (similarly priced and rated, for folks who want Hilton points). That way, everyone who overnights in Collinsville can stay together, yet folks are free to stay wherever they prefer and in a way that fits their budgets.

1691829210371.png

@ayilar Were you able to block any number of rooms for a group discount at Comfort Inn?

@ayilar Were you able to block any number of rooms for a group discount at Comfort Inn?
I have not tried but will be happy to do so.

Thus far,@ I know that @SGVert @furious70 @73 New Yorker and @david hill are in for the whole trip. With you and me, that’s six people. I have three more for part of the trip so far — one of them will need accommodations.

So I’ll ask for a discount and see what I get. Fwiw, the AAA discount is about $20/night

Back