Chrysler 9 1/4 Auburn Sure Grip Help!!!!... Best and Brightest.

68plymouth383

Reaction score
Hey guys I was doing some work on my truck 1985 Dodge Ram d150 and saw that my diff fluid was low, and had moisture in it. When I got this rear axle sept 2014 the diff was full of water. I flushed it out and refilled it with the gear oil. It was clean then. Today I pulled the cover, cleaned it inside with brake cleaner, and rotated it around and in the big window where the springs, and straps are I notice one of the straps just past where it holds the springs is broken it flops back and forth, the other 3 are all intact. How important is this? I don't have any experience with the auburn sure grip my truck has. Its a very tight unit. How difficult is the strap to replace? Is it a critical component that would stop it from working? Thanks for your help. Its on the upper left hand side you can see it's broken.

auburn cone type.jpg

I'm not to good with Auburns. My brother in law bought a late 8 3/4 with a auburn that is so worn you can turn the yoke and the wheels don't turn. I was going to take it apart to experiment with the machining and shimming. I don't think any springs should be loose but how much it affects reliability ? There is a sticky thread on fabo that explains how to "fix" them maybe it will explain it more.

Okay now I see where the break is. If you don't go far it will probably be okay but a lot of high speed it might break off and cause havoc. Personally I would pull the center pin roll the spiders out and see if you can't get it back close and weld it shouldn't take much more than a decent tack or two to hold it just to give it its side strength/ stiffness back.

My 2 cents

I reached in and it's broken into a loose part. Both areas front, and back springs are held by what's left of the strap. What broke is the part that wraps around the pin that holds the spider gears. I don't think it does much but to support the pin. I definitely don't want a loose part rattling around creating shavings.

Here's the replacement parts. I have never been into a rear end before. The local diff shop said these break all the time.....There ball park figure to replace is 375........

Auburn Plates, and springs.JPG

I would jump on those parts and do it yourself. The thread I mentioned earlier is on fabo under DIY tech articles how to recondition auburn cones or something like that. I would post a.link but have no idea on how to do that. It will give you a breakdown of how to get it apart and back together and you are only going to replace those stamped steel pieces, I would say it is straight forward.

That plate preloads the side gears, you do need to change it before it comes apart and wreaks havoc

Alright guys. Here's an update, and new question. I didn't have the funds, time, or knowledge even after studying the FSM till I was blue in the face to repair the current rear axle the Chrysler 12 bolt 9 1/4. We installed my original rear axle for my truck which I've thought for the last 17 years to be a Chrysler 12 Bolt 9 1/4. It's not. It's a hybrid axle. It's a Chrysler 8 3/8 rear axle. Which uses a ton of parts from the original Chrysler 8 1/4 axle. Mine has a 10 bolt cover also like the 8.25 but the 8.375 I have uses a larger bearing. On to my question. My axle is the 27 spline. When I can I want to build my 8.375 axle, and the Detroit truetrac is the sure grip unit I want. The problem is the Detroit truetrac is only available in the 29 spline for the 8.25, 8.375 rear axle. This axle has proven tough. I've put it through its paces many times. It has 354,000 plus miles on it and hasn't given me any trouble. It's an open rear. What are your thoughts on how to get the 29 spline axles. This rear end was primarily used in Dakota, durango, and some full size trucks.

If you really have your heart set on the 8 3/8 is there a factory sure grip? If not any axle manufacture can make custom axles

Yes there is a factory 27 spline sure grip. They wear out. The truetrac is a no hassle unit. It's just a matter of finding the 29 spline axles.

If you really have your heart set on the 8 3/8 is there a factory sure grip? If not any axle manufacture can make custom axles

Call Moser for the axels or live with open rear are you racing or wheeling why the need for a sure grip.

It's something I've always wanted. The open has done all I've needed it to do. It's a 2wd truck that I've had a ton of history with. My truck is a mild built small block that I stretch out on occasion. It has 3.21 gears in the factory rear.

Call Moser for the axels or live with open rear are you racing or wheeling why the need for a sure grip.

It's something I've always wanted. The open has done all I've needed it to do. It's a 2wd truck that I've had a ton of history with. My truck is a mild built small block that I stretch out on occasion. It has 3.21 gears in the factory rear.

I just read this and I think that is cool.
I've got a shotgun, a riffle, and a 4wd. A country boy can survive

Hey guys I was doing some work on my truck 1985 Dodge Ram d150 and saw that my diff fluid was low, and had moisture in it. When I got this rear axle sept 2014 the diff was full of water. I flushed it out and refilled it with the gear oil. It was clean then. Today I pulled the cover, cleaned it inside with brake cleaner, and rotated it around and in the big window where the springs, and straps are I notice one of the straps just past where it holds the springs is broken it flops back and forth, the other 3 are all intact. How important is this? I don't have any experience with the auburn sure grip my truck has. Its a very tight unit. How difficult is the strap to replace? Is it a critical component that would stop it from working? Thanks for your help. Its on the upper left hand side you can see it's broken.

View attachment 50441
NOT HARD TO REPLACE.THE UNIT BOLTS TOGETHER.JUST REMOVE THE BOLTS AND SPLIT THE HALVES.I NEVER TRIED TO SLIDE THE SPRINGS AND PLATES OUT. I HAVE A DISC BRAKE AXEL FROM AN IMPERIAL IN MY 67 FURY.IF YOU PULL THE UNIT YOU WILL NEED A TOOL FOR THE SIDE ADJUSTERS.JUST CHECK YOUR BACK LASH AND RESET IT.

Back