Chrysler-Badged Formal Police Cars

Yes, 1974 was the last year for 120 mph as the speed for the non certified speedo.
Now I am confused. I bought this speedo on ebay (application unknown) and installed it in my NYB. The markings are a smidgen too large for my NYB panel opening but works very well nonetheless.
So what do I have?

PicsArt_07-08-07.36.10.jpg

3592761-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Being a C they'd have no interest unless it had a Hemi , 4 speed or three twos

The "slightly too large" is the issue with using a Newport (or 74/75 NY) in the Imperial (or 76-78 NY) cluster. That's the issue I had using the "certified" speedo in my 77 NYB.

Now I am confused. I bought this speedo on ebay (application unknown) and installed it in my NYB. The markings are a smidgen too large for my NYB panel opening but works very well nonetheless.
So what do I have?

View attachment 132287

View attachment 132289
You have a 74 Newport/ NewYorker speedo in your 76 NYB. Must have been replaced somewhere along the line.

You have a 74 Newport/ NewYorker speedo in your 76 NYB. Must have been replaced somewhere along the line.
:thankyou:

dashboard.jpg

picsart_07-08-07-36-10-jpg.jpg

I replaced it. It was a little wonky under 40 mph. I had this 120 mph speedometer from somewhere, I forget where. Rather than restore the one in the car, I restored the one you see here.

Last edited:
Yes, 1974 was the last year for 120 mph as the speed for the non certified speedo. The lack of notation still makes me wonder if the Cop Chrysler certified speedo went to 120 instead of 100 in the 75 and up pursuits.

The Sanow book said Chrysler Newport Squads with A38 package got 120 mph
"certified" speedos. Like the car, we cant find any of those either if carmine couldnt find his example.

this one was on ebay a few years back (listing long gone) but cannot read the part number. looks pre-75 C body yes?

00-1-2-3.jpg

The Sanow book said Chrysler Newport Squads with A38 package got 120 mph
"certified" speedos. Like the car, we cant find any of those either if carmine couldnt find his example.

this one was on ebay a few years back (listing long gone) but cannot read the part number. looks pre-75 C body yes?

View attachment 132307

Yes, that is older. All '74+ were backlit (an industry first).

Add these two statements together, then it ain't a C at all? Truck (no trip odometer)?

Part number again is unreadable but in the meantime all we have is the face. I defer to the experts. :)

To me it looks A body- ish but I couldnt confirm a formal speedo if I found it on the ground

whew, these must be rare as hens teeth!

NOS Mopar Certified Speedometer Dodge Monaco, Plymouth Fury 1974 | eBay

NOS 1974 Mopar Certified Police Speedometer. One year only design with small zero, 14o. Holy Grail piece for police car restorers and Bluesmobile builders.

Pictures accurately reflect condition of speedometer cluster.

Sources tell me that this is a service replacement unit, ratching up the rarity of the piece.

Sold as is, no warranty, unit not tested, no returns.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Saw the skipper (Alan Hale jr) in a terrible giant insect b movie driving a 72 Newport squad but who the heck knows if that was legit. I owned a 75 fury that was a real squad car. Should be able to see the alternator from a helicopter if the hoods open. Cooling fins everywhere! On every fluid just about. Prob helped Chrysler move some product in 75 by offering to police. I was skeptical but that Smokey looks legit waiting for a victim on the shoulder there.

Hardtops are also dead giveaways to cop clone cars as well. Check for front and rear sway bars too. I’m having a tough time imagining a Chrysler with rubber floors lol but they were circling the wagons at Chrysler by that point. Anything is possible

I don't know if this is exactly what you were searching, but in the early to mid 70's the Maine state police were using Plymouths. As Chrysler got further into the holenses they ended up switching to the Chevy caprice. I found this while looking for something on the Plymouth pursuits they had in the mid 70's. Don't know anything about it other than what the pic says
maine-state-police.jpg

Back