Chrysler-badged Fusie Cop Cars?

R was based off the B platform. 80s Newport, Cordoba, etc. were based off the basic B-body late-model Coronet, Fury, etc... updated for the new model year. 1980-1982 Newport was a B-body.

Here's a few photo's of the build sheets for my 1972 Polara's. I believe the K code is a piggy back order from a small Dept. that was tacked on to a CHP order, it has a few CHP options on it. You can see the mistake on one sheet where it has the number 1 instead of the letter T for the engine code. Second build sheet is my WSP car.
broadcast sheet 002.JPG
broadcast sheet 003.JPG
broadcast sheet 004.JPG
broadcast sheet 005.JPG

We drove this topic "around the block" a couple times in other threads .. but i couldn't find it to post here. :BangHead:

I just watched and learned .. didn't have much to contribute when the posts got technical with folks who were "there" at the time weighing in. :)

There is some quote from product guy (engineer/planning type) at Chrysler who said they specifically did NOT get the R from the B. I looked for that and couldn't find it either.

I recall the consensus here was an "R" shared some "elements' (i forget which ones) that can "interchange" with the B's -- but by the time the engineers were done designing the "R", it was a new platform.

I dont think there's any doubt the "Newport" was NEVER a "B" .. even when it was an "R" ... since that's not a "B" either.

I will keep looking for that discussion so we needn't recreate it in yet another place -- that we can't find later :)

Also agree with this one too.

R was based off the B platform. 80s Newport, Cordoba, etc. were based off the basic B-body late-model Coronet, Fury, etc... updated for the new model year. 1980-1982 Newport was a B-body.

1980-1982 Newport is an R body. As previously mentioned, R bodies used some bits from "B" bodies, but there was not a wholesale transfer or massaging of the B body platform to become an R body.

The 1980-1983 Cordoba and Mirada are "J" body cars, based off the "M" body (LeBaron/Diplomat/Caravelle) cars which in turn were based off the "F" body (Aspen'Volare) cars. 1979 Cordobas, 1979-1982 Newport/New Yorker, St. Regis, Gran Fury are "R" body cars.

Kevin, I can always rely on you on setting the record straight on a lot of these misconceptions that continue to flare up no matter how many times they've been stomped out in the past. Thank you, sir.

Well, that's one reason i hang out here... whenever i'm wrong (and i know i am sometimes) there are people who can set me straight. i honestly thought the early 80s R-bodies had more in common with the recently prior B-bodies. And i misspoke in that earlier post, i meant to say R-body, not B... but i still had the origin wrong, apparently. i live, i learn...

The 1980-1983 Cordoba and Mirada are "J" body cars, based off the "M" body (LeBaron/Diplomat/Caravelle) cars which in turn were based off the "F" body (Aspen'Volare) cars. 1979 Cordobas, 1979-1982 Newport/New Yorker, St. Regis, Gran Fury are "R" body cars.
Something's bothering me, here... i know you can help my memory. Caravelle? When was there ever a rear-drive Caravelle model? i remember the M-body cars as Diplomat, LeBaron, Fury... only Caravelle model i can recall was a Plymouth K-car model. Fury was the M-body, Gran Fury was the R... or so i seem to remember

Something's bothering me, here... i know you can help my memory. Caravelle? When was there ever a rear-drive Caravelle model? i remember the M-body cars as Diplomat, LeBaron, Fury... only Caravelle model i can recall was a Plymouth K-car model. Fury was the M-body, Gran Fury was the R... or so i seem to remember

Rebadged Dodge Diplomat sold in Canada.

Kevin, I can always rely on you on setting the record straight on a lot of these misconceptions that continue to flare up no matter how many times they've been stomped out in the past. Thank you, sir.

This topic is like one of those trick matches, that no matter how many times it's blown out, it re-ignites.

Well, that's one reason i hang out here... whenever i'm wrong (and i know i am sometimes) there are people who can set me straight. i honestly thought the early 80s R-bodies had more in common with the recently prior B-bodies. And i misspoke in that earlier post, i meant to say R-body, not B... but i still had the origin wrong, apparently. i live, i learn...

Perhaps this is something that helps to explain where this misconception comes from. The first Cordoba/ChargerSE/Magnum cars from 1975 thru 1978 ARE based on the B body platform. For 1979 Cordoba/Magnum, even though there is such a physical similarity in the sheetmetal to the 1978 cars was redone onto the R platform.

Rebadged Dodge Diplomat sold in Canada.

I would need to check, but I have vague recollections that for a very brief period, the Caravelle name was used on a RWD platform before the Fury name was brought back in the U.S. The product planning guys in Canada were very successful in making a case for separate car-lines/nameplates when there was strong pressure from Highland Park/Auburn Hills to commonize everything in both countries. Personally I think this was the last vestige of a pre Autopact mentality in Canada where, in order to have a fully filled out product line, it was necessary to cobble cars together by swapping parts, pieces, engines, frames, bodies and interiors to come up with new cars.

yes i am sure that's true. thanks!

to my knowledge, no one has reported/posted evidence of A38 prior to 1971 on any C-body fusie here on this forum but there's no way to know for sure.

a different thread has produced "A38" on a 1970 Fury. Source below. post #61. What Makes a Police Fury a Pursuit Car?

Still waiting to see it on 1973 Chrysler-badged C that started this thread.

capture99-png.109480

Back