Chrysler-badged Fusie Cop Cars?

Just to come "full circle" on something touched upon in the museum thread...

It's beyond asinine that you can buy an Chrysler SRT 300 in virtually any market but North America. All of this to push Chrysler down/market-mainstream so they won't compete against an imaginary car (Alfa-Romeo) that will never be anything but a boutique brand.
That is one of the main problems of an auto maker that gets taken over by a larger company. Chrysler really got messed up under Mercedes Benz, and I don't see them getting much better under Fiat. Way too many cheap parts made in other counties, (Like bad dash clusters), and other electronic parts.

When ChryCo introduced the LH models, I thought they were finally getting their chit together again. The "cab forward" design blew me away.
Unfortunately, the light at the end of the light turned out to be the Huns who raped and pillaged the town.

When ChryCo introduced the LH models, I thought they were finally getting their chit together again. The "cab forward" design blew me away.
Unfortunately, the light at the end of the light turned out to be the Huns who raped and pillaged the town.

Always remember... because the Great Satan / Double Agent Bob Eaton allowed them in. Daimler actually approached Ford before Chrysler. Ford told them to get lost.

It's easy to blame Iacocca for choosing Eaton, but Eaton had a great resume and a turnaround record with GM Europe, where Chrysler was going to attempt expansion. Everybody says "Lutz" but he was not CEO material, his later record of halo cars trying to save GM shows that.

The best choice might have been CFO Jerry York.

Eaton lives in Naples. Could somebody arrange a hungry alligator?

Kinda funny 1966 photo ... but a New Jersey State police officer in a '65(?) Chrysler Newport? (sorry I cant tell). Yeah a slabbie not a fusie .. but a Chrysler?

00-4-0.jpg

My former 1971 New Yorker .. I forgot about this one.. CH43U1, E86, never a cop car ever.

again, maybe they didnt offer them to police until 1973 ..the last year of the fusies?

its just as likely, the fleets could have gotten 'em the entire fusie run like A38E86D32 said about NJSP .. Chrysler-badged E86 police (with the right factory equipment, same as "K" and "A38" cars, with "special handling" tags, and with some "F" codes on the fender tag to boot.)

Circumstantial evidence is piling up in my mind. hope lemondana and others can add more concrete proof of fleet versions.

IMG_1699-1.jpg
IMG_1701-1.jpg

Kinda funny 1966 photo ... but a New Jersey State police officer in a '65(?) Chrysler Newport? (sorry I cant tell). Yeah a slabbie not a fusie .. but a Chrysler?

View attachment 109234
This is a great example of corporate one upmanship. All fleet sales are done under bid by the lowest bidder. The difference in base price between a Fury I and a New Yorker is about $1,000.00. By offering a New Yorker with a Newport interior, rubber floor mats, and base Chrysler options, they could have bid these out for $2,500,00 per unit and made a ton of profit on each one.

Last edited:
Is that a vinyl roof ? I'm thinking no.... too much shine and I see no texture or seams

Good point. i believe youre right .. plus you can see the lightbar reflection off the paint on top.

i saw the stainless base moulding typical of vinyl roofs around the bottom and assumed without close inspection.

thanks

My former 1971 New Yorker .. I forgot about this one.. CH43U1, E86, never a cop car ever.

again, maybe they didnt offer them to police until 1973 ..the last year of the fusies?

its just as likely, the fleets could have gotten 'em the entire fusie run like A38E86D32 said about NJSP .. Chrysler-badged E86 police (with the right factory equipment, same as "K" and "A38" cars, with "special handling" tags, and with some "F" codes on the fender tag to boot.)

Circumstantial evidence is piling up in my mind. hope lemondana and others can add more concrete proof of fleet versions.

View attachment 109239 View attachment 109240

Interesting...used to seeing "D" or "F" for the assembly plant. Never saw a "C" before

View attachment 109234
TP-A.....i wonder if it was Turnpike police..
And i wonder if the shoulder patch was typically void on the left side...?

You know... it wasn't until I took a 2nd, maybe 3rd look at the photo that I realized the officer is detaining a farm animal. I had already checked the tail panel and badging to be sure it was an NY'er, so it wasn't like I just glanced at it.

Kinda makes you realize you have some sort of automotive OCD when you miss what I'm sure was the whole reason for the photo.

My 2 cents worth...

I've yet to see the A38 code on a Fusey cop cars Fender tag.....instead I have seen the Y39 Special order code and the K designation in the VIN, or the Y39 and M designation.

I personally think that the A38 was a 74+designation for the most part. Prior to that it was mostly Special order stuff if you didn't want the standard Police Package.

I've got the tags off a 73 Fury I Toronto Metro police cruiser. It is optioned very oddly.

Which of anyone has a full list of Molar fleet option codes, please PM me.

Nick

In that NJ State Police page there is a marked 63 Chrysler, never seen one of those as a copcar. I know the package was available in 62 and 63, seen the brochure.

My 2 cents worth...

I've yet to see the A38 code on a Fusey cop cars Fender tag.....instead I have seen the Y39 Special order code and the K designation in the VIN, or the Y39 and M designation.

I personally think that the A38 was a 74+designation for the most part. Prior to that it was mostly Special order stuff if you didn't want the standard Police Package.

I've got the tags off a 73 Fury I Toronto Metro police cruiser. It is optioned very oddly.

Which of anyone has a full list of Molar fleet option codes, please PM me.

Nick

one of these threads, that didnt start as a cop car topic, has a couple A38 fusie fender tags/buildsheets.

my observations before that were same as yours .. L, M, or H second VIN digits, NO A38 but YES Y39 and often a second "special handling" tag.

Sanow and Bellah's book called out A38 with Plymouth starting in 1971 -- that started a big argument to my recollection in one of those threads I am recalling.

Another has about 15-20 "F" codes (spotlights, welds, wiring harness for roof lights,single keys, etc). where we chipped in and provided what we knew .. until someone chipped in with the mother lode.

i searched and didnt find any of these threads but they're out there. maybe someone else knows or can search better than me?

Last edited:
In that NJ State Police page there is a marked 63 Chrysler, never seen one of those as a copcar. I know the package was available in 62 and 63, seen the brochure.

those pages are great btw .. same guy has done a few states trying to document the license plates ..in the meantime he got a TON of cop cars over the years.

could be geography...C is Jefferson Avenue plant in Detroit. Almost all ive ever seen :)

Chryslers and Imperials of that era were built at, and only at, the Jefferson (C code) plant. C body Plymouths and Dodges were built at Belvedere (D), Newark (F), and, prior to 1970 (?), Windsor (R plant).

Great site to browse. ALL agencies represented down the left. They are documenting state police car license plates .. using the actual cars over the years.

This outfit as done a great job. LOTS of PICTURES .. heck you might even see your car there -- certainly one like it.

Permission needed/credit to author for usage is needed.

State Trooper Plates || SP/HP Agencies

00-1-1.jpg
00-1-2.jpg

Back