Chrysler-badged Fusie Cop Cars?

Were these cars Windsor built?

This one was built at STL.

LL41 A38.

76_LL41_A38_800.jpg

Regarding the 76 Dart and Valiant Police Pursuit cars, my brother was an Army MP at Fort Meade, MD in 76 and they got several of these cars with the 360 4bbl. He said when you got it on on the highway, it would go but if the pavement was wet or if you got into it in a corner, it would come right out from behind you and a few were wrecked rather quickly.

Allpar talks about them here:
Dodge Dart and Plymouth Valiant police cars and pursuit package

"The Valiant police pursuit was new for 1976,....."

1975 VL41, K VON, A2 interior, Y39

<Shrug>

75_VL41_E44_D34_KY4_282760.jpg

Back on topic, I know by 76 the Newport was a B-Body but here it is listed under the police engine options on Allpar in the same article attached in my previous post. This, I believe confirms that a police department could order Newports with all the police options, at least in 76.

Capture.PNG

its cool .. just appreciate you taking some time to participate :)

none of us has posted evidence of "A38" on any fusie fender tag BEFORE or AFTER 1971. again, not saying "never happened in production" just NOT posted here with evidence.

"A38" has appeared on buildsheets for 71-73 police Polaras and Furys, and then the one example for the '71 NJ Statie Fury III we just got last week.

We are waiting for evidence from a member who OWNED a 1973 E86 Missouri State Chrysler Newport who thinks he may have kept his buildsheet/fender tag to answer the main question: were there any Police Package Chrysler-badged Fusies.

thanks again for your help.

I think everyone who is working on this is on the right track. Accumulate as many fender tags and broadcast sheets as possible and the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place. When I'm finished with my current project I will check the order guides I have to see when A38 showed up as an option package.

As for A38 not showing up on "K" cars and being on "M" cars, it was probably to confirm the identity when the model code wasn't specific to a police/fleet vehicle.

As for A38 not showing up on "K" cars and being on "M" cars, it was probably to confirm the identity when the model code wasn't specific to a police/fleet vehicle.

I think we are saying the same thing but differently. A38 would include items in a package that were standard on K VIN. Therefore A38 would not show up on a K VIN car.

Were these cars Windsor built? In one of my many conversations with the distribution manager of the day, Windsor was quite willing to build anything if a customer wanted to order enough cars to make it worthwhile for plant to do them up. And given that these E58 LL41s were basically a different combination of parts bin pieces, they were relatively easy to build.

Unfortunately up in your part of the world Matt, a domestic car is now more the exception than the rule, so in order to blend in, it becomes necessary to use vehicles that don't warrant a second glance. Personally, it make me throw up to think that my tax dollars are going directly to support an Asian car manufacturer. But given the ***** in residence in Toronto, anything's possible.
The Nissan was a seizure. No cost involved. In not sure where they were built, every one of them seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

In the Whitby HSD it's primarily '15 Dodge Charger AWD Hemi Pursuits and '15 Tahoe PPVs, the last '11 P71 Crown Vic just disappeared in the last few days and a Charger replaced it. They have a few Ford Interceptors as well, but I'm noticing the Taurus' quickly disappearing.

Wynne, what a stupid *****....

That's it's own multiple page long topic...

Nick

Maybe on earlier cars, here is one installed on a recent restoration of a 61...
View attachment 109833
I do not know if this was used at this time but knowing the group that restored this car I know they did their research.

Alan
somewhere i have a magazine article of the restoration of this car by a retired CHP officer. he used all the correct for the car police equipment including the "add on " speedometer as seen above. some of it was NOS directly from the CHP garage. maybe someone can find the article.
42760-400-0.jpg

3230925367_4072cdd126_b.jpg

DSC02087-vi.jpg

That 75 Valiant tag is cool. A38 wasn't available on the A-Bodies until 1976, the last year of the A-Body. So that 75 Valiant was ordered as a copcar without the A38 package, they just cherry picked the options. I know Seattle ran marked 74 Darts. Must have been the same order process. Seattle ran A-Bodies from 74-76 then ran Aspens through the end of the 70s. They had a much lower crash rate with the smaller cars plus gas mileage was a lot better. The 76 Dart A38 tag above was owned by Tallzag at one point, now owned by the Seattle/King County Police Museum. Seattle PD unmarked car, probably detective or something similar.

The Nissan was a seizure. No cost involved. In not sure where they were built, every one of them seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

In the Whitby HSD it's primarily '15 Dodge Charger AWD Hemi Pursuits and '15 Tahoe PPVs, the last '11 P71 Crown Vic just disappeared in the last few days and a Charger replaced it. They have a few Ford Interceptors as well, but I'm noticing the Taurus' quickly disappearing.

Wynne, what a stupid *****....

That's it's own multiple page long topic...

Nick

Happened to stop at a service center on 401 last year and 2 OPP cars were in for fuel. One was a Taurus, the other an Explorer. Asked the Taurus driver how he liked it and he said it was too cramped inside and everybody avoided driving them. I have a Flex and to me, that's the far more useful choice as a pursuit vehicle. Mine is only FWD, but it comes AWD and if the AWD vehicles handle even better than my FWD, it would be a winner.

PA State Police purchased some Chargers and Magnums when Ford quit making the Interceptor but it was short lived. I've never heard why but they have since gone to the Taurus and Explorer as the PSP vehicles. A few Expeditions also but very few.

Back on topic, I know by 76 the Newport was a B-Body ..

But wasn't the R based on the B but stretched?

I will stand by my statement. The Newport was never a B-body.

We drove this topic "around the block" a couple times in other threads .. but i couldn't find it to post here. :BangHead:

I just watched and learned .. didn't have much to contribute when the posts got technical with folks who were "there" at the time weighing in. :)

There is some quote from product guy (engineer/planning type) at Chrysler who said they specifically did NOT get the R from the B. I looked for that and couldn't find it either.

I recall the consensus here was an "R" shared some "elements' (i forget which ones) that can "interchange" with the B's -- but by the time the engineers were done designing the "R", it was a new platform.

I dont think there's any doubt the "Newport" was NEVER a "B" .. even when it was an "R" ... since that's not a "B" either.

I will keep looking for that discussion so we needn't recreate it in yet another place -- that we can't find later :)

Last edited:
Happened to stop at a service center on 401 last year and 2 OPP cars were in for fuel. One was a Taurus, the other an Explorer. Asked the Taurus driver how he liked it and he said it was too cramped inside and everybody avoided driving them. I have a Flex and to me, that's the far more useful choice as a pursuit vehicle. Mine is only FWD, but it comes AWD and if the AWD vehicles handle even better than my FWD, it would be a winner.

A few friends are OPP, the Exploders are more roomy them the Tortuous.......thats why the Taurus' are disappearing......the Tahoe and Charger are more Viable at the moment for OPP's demands, AWD and 4WD with V8 power and more room, RWD based platforms.

Craig at HQ was telling me that they are having serious issues with the Transfer case/front diffs in the exploders, 40,000kms and they take a ****, $8000 later from Ford....the RWD based platforms are tried and true...thats why they are shifting focus back to them.

As for the B/R comment, I knew I could get a rise out of Stan, thats why I quoted him.......Love ya big guy.

Back