Cluster of ignition wires started smoking

santts

Reaction score
This black part of my 318 ignition started smoking now I have a no start . Any ideas . Ty . Tried a few things . No luck yet .

20230616_183213.jpg

Electronic ignition module. The smoke means it’s junk now. When you replace it get rid of the flat washers and use star washers on the bolts. It needs to be grounded.

Ok ty . You know where to find . I suck with ignition stuff
Mancini’s or summit for new or I might have a gently used one here in the Detroit area.

YOur local Napa parts store or Canadia Tire still has listings or the ECU.
I live in Ontario abd got them before at Napa
Hope this helps.

I think you need to check your voltage regulator, all your connections and grounds are clean.

I will . That has been changed but maybe it's junk . Car was reading 13.6 volts while car was running at battery. Other one I have reads around 14. Maybe I should put it back on

It came from the plug on the ecu and also a little from the Alternator. Hopefully I didn't fry the plug and Alternator as well
You haven't said what car this is in.

Judging by the way and where the ECU is bolted down, it looks like this is an older car with Mopar Electronic Ignition added on.

Given that you had smoke at the alternator and at the ECU, I would say the first thing to do is look at all the wiring and connections. You may have a short from bad insulation or a bad connection. And yes, that ECU needs to be grounded better... Right now it looks like the connection to ground is dirty or rusty.

The problem may be the ECU... But if you don't address any wiring problems, you take the chance of frying any new parts.

13.6 volts sounds good. You're going to have to check as much as you can before you start throwing parts at it.

You haven't said what car this is in.

Judging by the way and where the ECU is bolted down, it looks like this is an older car with Mopar Electronic Ignition added on.

Given that you had smoke at the alternator and at the ECU, I would say the first thing to do is look at all the wiring and connections. You may have a short from bad insulation or a bad connection. And yes, that ECU needs to be grounded better... Right now it looks like the connection to ground is dirty or rusty.

The problem may be the ECU... But if you don't address any wiring problems, you take the chance of frying any new parts.

13.6 volts sounds good. You're going to have to check as much as you can before you start throwing parts at it.
Thankyou . This is a 65 Savoy. It's a Canadian car

Apon checking wires I came to this on fire wall. Is the link in the block itself? If so where do I find . I don't think it was working because some of my primary ground harness was scorched . Inspecting all wired ignition due to this near fire .

20230617_155136.jpg

That’s just a junction block, the fusible link is in the wire itself.

Apon checking wires I came to this on fire wall. Is the link in the block itself? If so where do I find . I don't think it was working because some of my primary ground harness was scorched . Inspecting all wired ignition due to this near fire .

View attachment 602116
Thankyou . So I cut out existing and replace? I'm sure it's blown . I suck at electrical. I'm learning. Was just cleaning grounds and I came to this. I believe bad grounds is part of my issue

Back