Confirming this steering gear box, 68 Newport

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
I need to get a new steering gear box. I am on a very tight to non existent budget right now. Too many hobbies. But will this reman that says it's a fit actually be a good fit?

Cardone steering gear. I've heard mixed reviews about cardone but I just need something better than what I got that doesn't leak constantly. Original sprung a bad leak.

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

There are only a couple of companies that do this kind of work. Cardone is one of, if not the biggest. That doesn't exactly mean the best. No matter who you go with, flush the system. Add some Lucas PS stuff to it for a little better lube, and BLEED it properly.
Good luck, it should be fine.

Be SURE to use the equivalent of Chrysler PSF, although the old GM #1050017 psf looks just like the old Chrysler psf I used to buy. ATF, by observation WILL LEAK and SEEP through the hoses. When I bought my '67 Newport (in 1981), it had red fluid in the ps system AND the pressure hose was seeping red fluid. I got as much of it out of the reservoir as I could, replaced it with GM PSF 1050017 and the seep stopped. A year or so later, the pressure line blew apart. Replaced the line and refilled with GM 1050017 and that was decades ago. Got a new belt, too.

From my experiences,
CBODY67

If I seem to remember correctly, the way to bleed the box itself is to put a hose (or just keep one of them on), and then rotate the steering wheel a few times left to right while one of the hoses empties the fluid into your container, and keep doing that until it dries up. Perhaps worth doing on mine, when I got mine the previous owner used ATF, which I guess was common back then but obviously not correct. Fluid drains out in about a months time on mine, currently, but I bought a new hose for it and will drain the box and see if that fixes it.

I don't know why Chrysler switched from ATF to PSF, but I do know that each fluid has a different tolerance for temperatures in the steering system/box, so using the wrong one will make the seals leak.

Chevrolet was using PSF in 1961. Prior to Dexron atf, there was Type A Suffix A atf, which was basically universal and available "everywhere" (an important consideration, back then, which is why convertible top hydraulics used common brake fluid, back then).

In 1967, Chrysler had their own/new part number atf, which was superceded into the Dexron spec for 1968. Seems that their 1967 "unique" atf was really Dexron in a Chrysler container, from what I've determined. Ford began their Type F in about 1968, too.

It was very common to use atf to "top off" a ps system that just needed a little bit to get back to "FULL" on the gauge. But if the leak persisted, then the whole system ended up with red atf in it, which was not correct and affected all of the rubber in the system, by observation. It all depends upon what spec of rubber is in the system as to which fluid it will best tolerate. Just as Ford says their current Mercon IV fluid is also acceptable for (their) ps systems.

Just my observations,
CBODY67

Two thoughts. Check the FSM. The seals are replaceable without removing the box from the car. Lucas PS sealer and conditioner has worked "miracles" for me- might work for you until finances are better. All the best! Lindsay

Hmm. Seals replacable without removing it? Now that's a thought. I'm not quite sure where the leak is. I have to jack it up and look closer but I've used multiple stop leaks without luck, it's pretty well blown out somewhere. Weather finally getting nice here to check closer. It could possibly be that portion where the hose connects, that piece that connects to the body of the steering box. Maybe I'll try the gaskets there first and see if that fixes it. There is a little bell housing looking thing on the left that gets puddles around it. Would seem logical if a gasket where the hose connects is bad and leaking oil to that bell housing.

Last edited:
Well I have a new issue now. After further investigation I took off the housing where the hoses go into the steering gear box. I replaced an o ring and added a little bit of gasket maker for good measure. Didn't use too much but ideally a nice good seal. I waited 48 hours for it to dry and I jacked it up on stands and burped the system. My new problem is now when I turn the wheel it won't stop turning until it's at full turn. Then I turn the wheel the other direction and it goes until full turn. Don't even want to drive it now. At least it worked normal before, just with a leak. I was hoping to confirm if it was this housing or the bell housing on it. Its a little jerky now. I didn't even pull off the main steering gear. What gives. Anyone know what my issue is?

Last edited:
I only disconnected the one side. One slides on and the other has a bolt. I did consider that, but not physically possible.

Back