converting to dual piston Master Cylinder

No I am planning on upgrading to the double MC but am wondering f I still need to rebuild the stock pushrod with that kit.

That push rod doesn't need to be rebuilt.

The old piston needs to be removed from it though.

I should clarify.... The aluminum thing on the end of the push rod is the old piston. It should pull off.

Or.... You can squeeze the piston in a vise until it cracks and falls off..

The new master cylinder has a new piston. The push rod inserts into the back of the new piston

OK.. See the greenish aluminum part on the end?? That's the piston that you pulled out of the old master cylinder.

That's junk.... Take it off the push rod.

See the spring, retainer and diaphragm just behind the piston? Also junk from the old master cylinder. Take them off too.

null_zpse2995a3e.jpg

You new master cylinder will have those parts.

Look at the back of the mounting face of the master cylinder. See the two bolts? You didn't need to take that apart. All you had to do was yank the pushrod out.

In fact... I would have never removed the pushrod from the car. I would have taken the master cylinder off and replaced it with the new one.

As long as bore size is close all is good, but even then larger will give quicker pedal with higher effort, smaller will be less effort with more travel, this might be problem if you have big feet short legs.

alright, finally got all the parts in, new MC, hadrware kit (springs), wheel cylinders, adjusting kits, and brake shoes. Opened up the new MC and as suspected, it did not come with a pushrod, so on to remove the original push rod.

at this point I tried turning, pulling, banging, cussing at it and it wouldn't come out. So I was wondering if there is a trick to this. I checked with the FSM and didnt see anything about how to pull it out.

I don't have a bench vise to squeeze it until it cracks as someone suggested, so I was thinking of mounting it back on the car and trying to pull the MC hopefully leaving the pushrod attached to the brake pedal. I also saw somewhere you can use a car jack but couldnt find the thread.

any suggestions?

I take a hack saw to it diagonally across the end and then take a chisel to it. Sometimes I'll put a few around it, a few hits with a big hammer and it is apart.

Alan

here come the noob questions:

ok, progress has been slow with work. last night I managed to cut the piston off of the push rod.

question about the little rubber ring around it.

This is what holds the pushrod in, right? I put a couple of cuts in mine when cutting off the piston. Its still on there with a few nicks, is it ok to use this as is? if not is this a part that can be bought locally?

I have used a piece of fuel line and made a new one, something I had in the toolbox.

Alan

Back