Coolant temp

Charlies

Reaction score
I'm think I may have a problem. When I run my 1978 newyorker 440 engine and it gets heated up I can shut it off and restart it about 10 minutes later and the coolant gauge will be close to the hot mark. I can run the engine for a minute or so and it cools back down. Since this is the oldest vehicle I have owned before I was just wondering if it's normal. I have talked to a few people and they saw its normal heat soak. I have replaced the thermostat with a 180 degree one when I flushed the coolant system. Replace the radiator and fan clutch. The outside temp where I live varies from 75 to 95 lately. Has anybody else had their car do this before. Any advise. Thanks

Pretty normal. Just the coolant soaking up the heat in the engine. I'm running electric fans and had to rewire them to shut off with the key because the engine would stay hot for a long time rinning the fan until it cooled off running my battery down. Most new cars pull the coolant guage temp from the radiator which gives it the more consistant coolant temp. Then they have a sensor for the hot light in the engine. A seperation the old timers do not have. My guage (aftermarket) will read about 225 between starts then drop to 195-210 while running.

Back