Coolest thing(s) I've seen in awhile.

tumblr_lmau39cfX61qeui32o1_1280.jpg
9680muyh61j31.jpg

I hope this link works, it was really impressive to see. For those of you that were in the Navy and ever experienced a “Crash Back” on your ship, you’ll enjoy and appreciate this video. For those of you that don’t know what a crash back is, The ship is to go full speed ahead, while at full speed ahead they are to immediately go to full speed astern, some of the older ships with steam plants or diesel engines and a standard prop, it takes quite a bit of time and miles to have it go from full speed ahead to reverse. This particular cruiser/destroyer has a steam turbine plant with variable pitch props, hence the rooster tail and the full speed change from forward to reverse is almost instantaneous. It’s an awesome view.

Has a gas turbine powerplant, which I'm sure you meant. They cannot make a gas turbine powerplant run backwards/astern so they have variable pitch props which allows this. The shaft continues to turn at full rpm. A steam turbine powerplant has to stop shaft and start turning it in opposite direction. Slow reaction and astern turbine sections on the LP turbine are small/not very powerful, so not near as impressive.
That's a cool video.

Has a gas turbine powerplant, which I'm sure you meant. They cannot make a gas turbine powerplant run backwards/astern so they have variable pitch props which allows this. The shaft continues to turn at full rpm. A steam turbine powerplant has to stop shaft and start turning it in opposite direction. Slow reaction and astern turbine sections on the LP turbine are small/not very powerful, so not near as impressive.
That's a cool video.
Thank for the clarification Dave. Yes they have Gas Turbines. As you mentioned The shaft runs in one direction all the time, The Variable Pitch Blade is what changes to allow the Astern movement. They also increase the speed of the Ship by changing the blade pitch and at the same time increasing the Turbine speed.. But you knew that already. lol

Thank for the clarification Dave. Yes they have Gas Turbines. As you mentioned The shaft runs in one direction all the time, The Variable Pitch Blade is what changes to allow the Astern movement. They also increase the speed of the Ship by changing the blade pitch and at the same time increasing the Turbine speed.. But you knew that already. lol
Mostly clarifying for the non squids.
Semper Fortis sailor.

Just dicking around on YouTube and found this 81 Dodge Dart. I was unaware the Dart badge continued into the 80’s. Who knew!! Sharp clean original car. Thought I’d share.

absolutely beautiful. That is indeed artwork I'd have on my wall. The years of time and training to get to that point to make welds look so perfect.

That welding is pure art!
Unlike the goose-s*** stuff our shop put out. I was always amazed how they managed to warp the crap put everything.

Back