Correct finish

polarus

Reaction score
Anybody know the correct finish on a 1972 master cylinder cover? (Power disk)

Standard Cad plating as far as I know. I am not aware of any other factory finish.

Looking on E-bay I've seen cad. plated, black, grey, steel with no plating, all N.O.S.

I would guess that it would not be black unless the booster was painted black, otherwise I'd go with cadmium finish.

Alan

Anybody know the correct finish on a 1972 master cylinder cover? (Power disk)
polara pictures 054.jpg

Thats a 1973 30,000 mile booster

polara pictures 054.jpg

I have seen black ones too but always as a factory replacement part. I think the definitive answer would be to see original photos of the cars factory new. It makes me wonder if replacement parts were treated differently? Who remembers that many years ago?

Could've been a vendor thing, too. Normally, a booster and master cylinder are not painted as an assembly. So, let's say you have a black or cad-plated booster, your master cylinder is going to be as-cast (not plated or painted), and the covers I can ever remember seeing have been either unpainted or cad-plated. I agree that a person would need to research original factory brochures to get a better idea on what is right for a particular model and year.

I just checked out the thread "Some nice original cars out there" One looks to have a bear steel while the other looks to be yellow cad. plated, I guess it depends on year, plant, vendor. Looks like I've got options.

Back