Covering old rattle can touch ups

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is my dilemma. I have a 1966 300 with Saddle Bronze metallic paint. I started buffing out the paint and to my amazement it looks pretty good over all. The problem is the PO used touch-up spray cans all over the car when there was a scratch or some rust. There are at least 6 different colors and none of them match.

I will eventually repaint the whole car but for now I would like to soften the bad touch-up paint. I read the sticky on paint and am an experienced sprayer (but mostly as a house painter). I have a HVLP and have sprayed 2 stage urethane on cars and one stage urethane on metal doors. I was very happy with my results on both, but the single stage was a dark green.

My question is would I be better off for blending in with the old paint using a single stage?

Here is an example of his handy work. Look above the L and slightly to the left. This is one of the lighter cans of touch-up that he used.

Half the hood buffed out.jpg

Half the hood buffed out.jpg

This doesnt help your question but I would leave it alone until I could do it right...Its part of the cars persona and it tells a story.

This doesnt help your question but I would leave it alone until I could do it right...Its part of the cars persona and it tells a story.
You might have something there. I have plenty of other mechanical areas I really should be focusing on.

Its a great looking car with great lines......get her running, safe, sound, and comfy....then make her look good. In the meantime drive the hell out of her.......

Spray random areas with primer. People will automatically assume it's a work in process and you won't feel the need to aplogise for the paint on there now.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I've had the same problem on a car I've aquired in the past, a 64 300 convertible with mostly original rosewood finish that a previous owner had touched up with rattle cans and touch up paint.
I used a sanding pad with 800 wet paper and carefully removed all the overspray... then buffed the car. It worked out well for me.

300 at the beach (Large).jpg

Last edited:
I've had the same problem on a car I've aquired in the past, a 64 300 convertible with mostly original rosewood finish that a previous owner had touched up with rattle cans and touch up paint.
I used a sanding pad with 800 wet paper and carefully removed all the overspray... then buffed the car. It worked out well for me.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through the thread. In fact my car could use some of the same treatment.

Yes, go for it.
This car, when I got it didn't have even one panel that matched.
#800 wet sand, compounding, buffing, and polishing:

03222008%20006.jpg

That is a great idea. I have some 800 and will give it a go. I was thinking the rubbing compound might take it off but it didn't.

If you are trying to remove rattle can spray paint do you know if it was an enamel or lacquer base? If lacquer then all you need is to wipe lacquer thinner over it and some will wipe off. If I were to use sand paper on a enamel paint then I wouldn't go less than 1000 grit and maybe 1500 grit which is commonly used as a starting point for removing orange peel on many paint jobs. Finer scratch is a whole lot easier to remove when buffing than an 800 scratch which I bet can still be seen in the right light.

I'm color sanding my paint job right now and it is 1000, 1500, 2000 and then 3000 before compounding.

Crap, I didn't even know there was a 3000. Must be as smooth as a baby's butt!

(Sent using Forum Runner)

There is 3M Trizact 3000 6" hook and loop, 5000 Trizact 6" hook and loop and Mirka Albalon 4000 hook and loop. The last two, especially the 5000, leave your car looking almost polished before you use any polishing compound. They are all discs as sandpaper stops at 2500.

Back