Dash..add your 2c worth

Marian

Reaction score
Ok...so I got another monaco dash. No cracks like my original. I cleaned it with low concentration dawn soap, simple green, vinyl cleaner, murphey's soap oil, pledge. It's still to not my liking. If you say Armor all, I will ignore you. What else can I do?

20140227_173643.jpg20140227_173832.jpg20140227_174248.jpg

20140227_173643.jpg

20140227_173832.jpg

20140227_174248.jpg

What about it do you not like? Is it not soft? Is the color not what you want it to look like? I wash my dash pads before treating with pure dove soap. Just shave off some pieces from a bar in a wash bucket, wet the pad down and soap it up. That will help soften and clean it. I use Turtle wax interior Product after cleaning. it has a Uv agent to keep the sun from breaking it down and cracking the vinyl. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wax-Interior-Cleaner-and-Protectant/23591272 This stuff make amoral look like water.

I just painted mine with SEM. So far, so good, been about 9-10 years now, of course it doesn't sit out in the sun much.

What about it do you not like? Is it not soft? Is the color not what you want it to look like? I wash my dash pads before treating with pure dove soap. Just shave off some pieces from a bar in a wash bucket, wet the pad down and soap it up. That will help soften and clean it. I use Turtle wax interior Product after cleaning. it has a Uv agent to keep the sun from breaking it down and cracking the vinyl. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wax-Interior-Cleaner-and-Protectant/23591272 This stuff make amoral look like water.

What I don't like is spending so much time on this dash and expecting perfect. <something I working on with my therapist....LOL>) I spent so many hours on the dash. Like I said..I've done so many suggestions as to how to restore a dash. Hmmmmm..maybe I just need to let it go and understand that this dash is almost 50 years old. Four years older than I am and Mary Kay hasn't made me look younger.

The problem with using alcohol on an orig pad that's not getting dyed, or redone is it drys out the vinyl material. You are better off getting as clean as you can and treating it and leaving alone.

You might try denatured alcohol and then Lexol cleaner..... followed by Lexol conditioner.

I heard that petroleum jelly will work. I also heard that castro oil will work. I have a bottle of vintage of castro oil. From my mom. Gonna keep searching google.

I always used Marvel Mystery Oil on my dash pad, door panels, seats and tonneau cover in my 1969 Sport Fury Vert since I owned it back in 1976. And old friend of mine who had (3) 1967 Fury's turned me on to doing it a few times a year. He had (1) 1967 VIP 2 door coupe, a 1967 VIP 4 door sedan and a 1967 VIP convertible (re-badged sport fury actually but looked perfect) and he always did this on his car interiors.
9945483_1.jpg

Back