dash gauges

Marian

Reaction score
Next project. I want to repaint the silver and the black trim around the gauges. Do I need to pull the gauge apart? I started to then heard like a "dried gasket pulling away" sound.

20140306_141313.jpg20140306_141330.jpg

20140306_141313.jpg

20140306_141330.jpg

There is a company called Redline Gauge Works out in cali that can restore the gauges for you.

There are a lot of places that I found. I'm just wanting to do the cosmetics myself. I decided to just jump in. Worst thing..I totally screw things up then win the lottery and send them off. Thanks for info. BTW...you took another one of our TX cars away...to TN. Shame. LOL

There are a lot of places that I found. I'm just wanting to do the cosmetics myself. I decided to just jump in. Worst thing..I totally screw things up then win the lottery and send them off. Thanks for info. BTW...you took another one of our TX cars away...to TN. Shame. LOL

Don't know what your talking about. I moved a car from Houston to Dallas! LOL. Its sitting in my driveway in Sachse Texas! I work in Ft. Worth at Painless Performance.

Thought I taped off the clear plastic but some how the paint got on the clear part. Am I screwed? Nothing is easy today.

How bad? Picture please. You have to be careful what you use to try and get that off.
Bobs Speedometer is another one up here in MI.

It's possible to sand and polish clear plastic carefully. There are many products available for plastic headlights etc.

Novus makes some good plastic polishes.

I suck at painting...I will admit. Just can't seem to get the tape in a circle. LOL Has anyone ever used blu tack instead of masking? Do you think the plastic on the gauges are porous or non porous?

Marian I also need to do some work on the Monaco dash. Please post pics and descriptions as you go. Thanks.

LOL, again the guinea pig. I've managed to overspray the clear plastic. Scratched the clear thinking I could safely remove said overspray. Have made so many templates out of foil, paper, plastic, even a used plastic flower container. Diameter is 6 inches according to my protractor. Don't go by anything I say. losttoo.jpg

losttoo.jpg

I had one refinished by Scott Smith from Moparts. He did a beautiful job, although it wasn't cheap, but he did a batch of stuff so I don't have a piece by piece breakdown.
DSCN3608.JPG
Here's a view of the reverse showing the mounting points, I remembered incorrectly, there are 6 points where a stub penetrates from the front through the two back layers and is melted to fuse the assembly and you can see how he reworked them to reassemble after chrome plating.
DSCN3609.JPG

DSCN3608.JPG

DSCN3609.JPG

Last edited:
I use electrical tape to cover a clear lens as it wont stick too firmly to the plastic. i put it on covering a larger area than needed, once that is done i then take a box cutter and cut to the edge of where i want to paint, peel away the excess and then its ready to paint.

What color were you going to paint the trim rings? I am wanting to have mine restored, but the costs are high. I was thinking about doing my spare set with argent and seeing how they turn out.

Back