Detailing Engine Mopar Turquoise - Specifically

Something screwy with their site. Just contact them directly. They have several different engine paints.

Bill Hirsch Automotive
396 Littleton Avenue
Newark, NJ 07103
USA

Phone 973 642 2404
Toll Free USA Only 800 828 2061
Fax 973 642 6161

31F45665-CA3A-4C9E-AA7C-498305581FD0.jpeg

For what it’s worth here is my 65 Monaco with the hose bracket.

On another note. I witnessed an argument over correct paint color under the hood.
My 49k mile GTO was 100% original under the hood. (The car was invited to the Meadowbrook show) My a/c condensor was painted black and some guy starts a quarrel saying it should be natural aluminum color like his. Cars were built at different plants but he wouldn’t buy it. Swings were taken, he missed, but it was the last time I entered a car for judging. What a Door-knob!!

Yup it is "Blueish" but it did match the original paint on the engine pretty well. That said I have seen mid 60's engines in original turquoise that are definitely greener. As it was not a "Concours" rattle can job I was satisfied with colour match.

Looks like the AB at the end of the part number might be the designator that identifies it as being a different shade of Turquoise from the original can bigmoparjeff posted. If the AB number was a match to your original paint then yours must have been painted with the new shade of Turquoise which has more blue vs the original. I ordered the Hirsch paint to match my original engine color.

I ordered the Mopar Turquoise from Amazon and when I tried to initiate a return I got the following message;

This item isn't eligible for return.
This item can’t be returned since it requires special transportation and handling which we can’t provide. Use the Contact us button for help addressing your issue.

So I contacted Amazon and stated I received the above message while initiating a return and questioned their reasoning. I asked, "what special transportation and handling couldn't Amazon provide when the product was shipped via regular USPS and arrived in a standard cardboard box?"

The agent was very cordial and after a minute replied,

"Upon checking here, It shows that the item was scanned as a "not returnable" item - this is based on the cost of the item, the shipping cost, and other factors. In this case, there's no need to make a return. You may keep the item or disposed whichever you like and I'll take care your full refund or a replacement .
Which option would you prefer?"

Gotta Love Amazon and it pays to be a Prime Member!

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum so not sure whether I should start a new thread. My recently purchase a 1964 Dodge 880s engine is painted in a "green" colour. Not turquoise or blue. Did Dodge use a different colour scheme or were all mopars of the mid 60s done in the turquoise.
Cheers Paul.

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum so not sure whether I should start a new thread. My recently purchase a 1964 Dodge 880s engine is painted in a "green" colour. Not turquoise or blue. Did Dodge use a different colour scheme or were all mopars of the mid 60s done in the turquoise.
Cheers Paul.

Welcome Paul! I know that Turquoise was the engine color used on big blocks since at least 1962.

Cheers Paul.
Welcome to the forum. I’d say since everyone’s interpretation of color may be different, post a pic of your engine.

and some guy starts a quarrel saying it should be natural aluminum color like his. Cars were built at different plants but he wouldn’t buy it. Swings were taken, he missed, but it was the last time I entered a car for judging. What a Door-knob!!

HA HA! I love telling the Shelby Boys about my friends (back in the day) 1968 GT350 with a 289 engine and the Built in Los Angeles placard on the door sill that they say never existed, heh never came to blows thou... :icon_fU:

Then there is the 1972 Hemi Road Runner (VIN verified) that I looked at and was considered about buying in 1974.

:wideyed:

Cheers Paul.
Paul,

The green color your 880 is painted that you’re referring to May in fact be the original “Chrysler Turquoise” color.

Go back to page 3 of this thread and look at the pic of the rattle can ”bigmoparjeff” posted. That’s the color my AC bracket was painted shown on the work bench. Is that the green your 880 is painted? If so, it’s painted the ORIGINAL “Chrysler Turquoise”, NOT the newer “Mopar Turquoise” with the AB at the end of the part number.

Last edited:
Looks like the AB at the end of the part number might be the designator that identifies it as being a different shade of Turquoise from the original can bigmoparjeff posted. If the AB number was a match to your original paint then yours must have been painted with the new shade of Turquoise which has more blue vs the original. I ordered the Hirsch paint to match my original engine color.

The current Mopar turquoise paint looks more like the Chrysler blue used from 1970 to 1981 or so, before they switched to black, which is what the blue cap would indicate.

The current Mopar turquoise paint looks more like the Chrysler blue used from 1970 to 1981 or so, before they switched to black, which is what the blue cap would indicate.

Different part number for Corporate blue...I just used that colour on my 79 and it is definitely different than the "Mopar" Turquoise they are currently stocking with the AB part number.

"For an accurate match of the engine color, which I needed for detailing my '67 Newport 383 4bbl in the earlier 1980s, I went to a local auto supply/Sherwin-Williams Auto Refinish dealer and we got out his chip book. "Desert Turquoise" 1966 Dodge Truck color! He built me a quart in acrylic enamel and I applied it with a camel hair paint brush. Worked GREAT! At a time when only Hemi Orange was available in spray cans. Exact match!"

So at this point, a good clean engine component with the 69 turquoise, has not been compared with all the current available products and the Desert Turquoise? Obviously subjective analysis, but compared under daylight, incandescent, fluorescent(ugh already geenish) and LED sources, might lead us to a match. Would love to, but don't have a part ad a control piece. Thoughts

Can't explain why, but the transmission was painted, the Turquoise. Compared a pulley sprayed the Bill Hirsch Turquoise, to an original sample on the 575, dead ringer. Also a small spot was also left on the water pump, again a good match. Going with the Hirsch.

20190104_121246.jpg

20190104_121253.jpg

20190104_121550.jpg

Cheers Paul.
go to mymopar.com then go to engine paint color guide 1960-1974. and print it off it also shows mopar part #s for the paint.

www.turbinecar.com/misc/enginecolor.htm

Neither these guys or Bill Hirsch show a green engine color for your '64 Dodge. Are you sure a rebuilder did not repaint the engine in a non-standard color? (Lomac shipped light green colored rebuilds all over the country. A lot of builders did that for a quick ID of the engines they worked on). If you happen to have a Canadian produced auto, some of the plants in Canada were known to use non-standard colors but those were usually red or orange instead of blue or turquoise

Dave

Last edited:
Back