Detroit car show and swap meet

It sounds great at idle but the drone at 45 mph is obnoxious.
My car was like that too. It had some small Flowmaster mufflers on it that the drone was just too much... especially with the top down.

I bought some cheap, short glass pack mufflers from Summit and installed them like the factory resonators in the tailpipes. The drone was gone! The car still had a nice sound at idle and I was happy with the results.

I drove it for a year and a half like that. The rest of the system needed addressing by then, and I decided to replace the whole deal with a TTI exhaust. If I had not done that, I would have kept the glass packs.

My car was like that too. It had some small Flowmaster mufflers on it that the drone was just too much... especially with the top down.

I bought some cheap, short glass pack mufflers from Summit and installed them like the factory resonators in the tailpipes. The drone was gone! The car still had a nice sound at idle and I was happy with the results.

I drove it for a year and a half like that. The rest of the system needed addressing by then, and I decided to replace the whole deal with a TTI exhaust. If I had not done that, I would have kept the glass packs.

Sounds like a neat idea John. Maybe I've found a use for that box of shorty glass packs in the garage.

Flowmaster 40 or 45 series iirc.

You need to be especially careful with muffler selection on a convertible. The low range drone will drive you nuts during top down cruising. A resonator is a great idea, and truck mufflers will quite things down. Walker offers a OEM style muffler that comes close to original dimensions.

My TTI system with the Turbo mufflers has worked out well. No drone at all.

I had a friend install the system at his shop. He asked if I wanted the old system before he tossed it in the scrap.. I grabbed his sawzall and took the glass packs... just in case the drone was still there.

What car did you have there? I don't recall seeing either of the cars in your photo garage.
Had the 300 up there near the front by the building side. Spent the morning parking cars then walking the swap and chattin.

Back