disc brake problem-ID needed

TNT_wagon

Reaction score
My '66 Town & Country's previous owner updated the Budd brakes to later single piston calipers.
I've discovered a stuck piston in the driver's side, so I intend to replace them or get both rebuilt.
The problem is, I'm not sure what year they are.
When he was selling the car, his ad mentioned '74 brakes.
I'd gone to NAPA when this was just a simple pad replacement job, and after looking at their diagrams/pics, it looked like the pads were '69-'73 parts.
They're pin type calipers, don't the '74s have sliding pads?
Here are some pics (hopefully)

image000002.jpg

image000003.jpg

image000004.jpg

image000005.jpg

That is a '69-73 caliper, those had pins, the '74 and later ones do not. You should find that the '69-73 pads will fit. If you are going to rebuild these be sure to apply some good penetrating oil to the bleeder screws so that they do not twist off. The brake rotors are different starting in '73 due to the installation of a larger inner bearing, so if you need new rotors be sure to determine which style you have.

Dave

That is a '69-73 caliper, those had pins, the '74 and later ones do not. You should find that the '69-73 pads will fit. If you are going to rebuild these be sure to apply some good penetrating oil to the bleeder screws so that they do not twist off. The brake rotors are different starting in '73 due to the installation of a larger inner bearing, so if you need new rotors be sure to determine which style you have.

Dave
Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, I got 2 calipers, and attempted to put one on Saturday.
After some coaxing, cussing, and prying, I find the pad/rotor area is 1/4" narrower!
The new ones are supposed to be '73 rotors, and now I'm back to trying to figure out exactly what I have.
My old ones are right at 3" measuring from machined surface to surface

4352800623322130267.jpg

Check the casting numbers on your new calipers vs the old ones, they should be the same. It would not be the first time that a rebuilder but B-Body calipers in a C-Body box.

Dave

The "C" body cars use a rotor that is 1.250 thick, so a "wider" caliper is needed.
The B & E body cars use a rotor that is 1.000 thick, so a smaller, narrower caliper is used on those cars.
You received a caliper(s) for the B & E body cars.
Now you get to do a return, for the correct ones.

I see this posting is now about a month old, so I'm sure you got it all figured out by now.

The "C" body cars use a rotor that is 1.250 thick, so a "wider" caliper is needed.
The B & E body cars use a rotor that is 1.000 thick, so a smaller, narrower caliper is used on those cars.
You received a caliper(s) for the B & E body cars.
Now you get to do a return, for the correct ones.

I see this posting is now about a month old, so I'm sure you got it all figured out by now.

I posted today.
How do you impress upon somebody how to send the correct ones?

I posted today.
How do you impress upon somebody how to send the correct ones?

If you bought them from a reputable supplier, they will usually fix their errors. If you paid by credit card you can notify the card company you have a dispute. Same with E-Bay or any Pay Pal payment. If you bought them from an individual, that could be a problem. But on the bright side the B-Body calipers are more valuable so you can always resell them. So why did you not just rebuild your existing calipers?

Dave

If you bought them from a reputable supplier, they will usually fix their errors. If you paid by credit card you can notify the card company you have a dispute. Same with E-Bay or any Pay Pal payment. If you bought them from an individual, that could be a problem. But on the bright side the B-Body calipers are more valuable so you can always resell them. So why did you not just rebuild your existing calipers?

Dave

There isn't anywhere local that does it any more.
I was hesitant to send them somewhere because I wasn't sure if I'd get the same ones back.

Back