Do not touch the car

My paint is 30 years old, and was not "show quality" back then. That said, I still try to avoid damage.
The only situation I stay away from is the Main street show at The Atlantic nationals. This event is billed as a "street party", is free, and as such attracts large crowds. Cars are parked very close together, kids bring bicycles and folk are jostling each other.
I find folk are quite respectful, but accidents can happen.
Perhaps the key is to find the risk level thay you are comfortable with and remember that stuff goes wrong and accidents happen. Enjoy your ride! Lindsay

If you don't want people touching your car use stanchions and rope it off. Now kids with toys and mom's with strollers are a different thing.
I think the gereral consensus is everything will be fine, have fun and enjoy the shows. I 've never done it so was just feeling everyone out as to what their view was on the topic and what to expect.
I don't think I've ever seen a car at a show with a white picket fence around it!

If you're that anal about someone touching your car, I'd really hate to see your attitude after you get a stone chip from driving! **** happens in life, get over it!
Easy now, we need a face to face like Big John describes, I agree **** happens even on this forum ; 0).
I don't add LOLs to stuff because I laugh at everything since being retired. Thanks for making my day!

I think the gereral consensus is everything will be fine, have fun and enjoy the shows. I 've never done it so was just feeling everyone out as to what their view was on the topic and what to expect.
I don't think I've ever seen a car at a show with a white picket fence around it!
Fun is the name of the game. Some guys go out and expect to win that cheap trophy but if you can get past that, they can be a lot of fun. I pick and choose what shows I go to also. One of the most fun is a loosely organized cruise/show at the local NAPA. Nothing special... Just a great vibe with live music and a good food truck.

Go, look around, talk to people etc. Never take any of it seriously... and remember, most times the guys putting the shows on are volunteers.

There are some indoor venue type shows were there are ropes and stanchions. Those are high volume shows with a ton of people going through. We have one indoor show coming up where the guys do that. Probably more about the flow of people than anything.

I agree with *everything* @Big_John said.
Every so often you'll get a knucklehead that will open the door of your car or similar - that's crossing a line, and they deserve a 'dude, WTF' rebuke.

@3C's & a D?
That's pretty startling. On principle, I don't think I would care if she was careful - for her to assume it's OK to use someone's 'special property' like that is going too far. (and do you have a front license plate visible in the photogs pictures???)

If it were a 5-year old Hyundai it would be a little different, or at least more understandable.

What kind of model would want to get photographed on the hood of a five year old Hyundai? And I doubt they thought it was ok, they just thought they might be able to get away with it, with slightly different timing, they would have. As 300rag mentioned, we don't sport front plates up here. And sorry, I don't have any pictures, and am not sure what photogs is.
I'm sorry but that is scarry, the things we let slide when a woman bats her eyelashes!

Yeah, she may have done that, the lace bra/panty get up may have distracted me from making too much eye contact.

@3C's & a D?
'Photog' = photographer.
My thinking was, if he (or she) was unprofessional enough to use someone's personal property as a prop without permission, they might not give any thought to inadvertantly publishing your license plate either (if you had one, that is). And if it is a person selling their photos and copyrighting them, without permission for your car, that's even more uncool.

Skanky was she, walking around Edmonton, jumping on random car hoods, hoping to be noticed by some hockey players. You missed out on royalties!

Ok, I though "photog" was an Instagram/twitter equivalent. Clearly the photographer was not a professional. I wouldn't have had any issue with my plate being published on the internets, nothing to hide here. I doubt money was made off the photos, if so, power to them. Not a huge copyright fan here.

Skanky was she, walking around Edmonton, jumping on random car hoods, hoping to be noticed by some hockey players. You missed out on royalties!

She certainly was no angel. I may have missed out, but not regarding royalties.

I don't go to a car show, cruise night, etc. to look at my own car.
I see my car when I get out of it and I see it again when I get in it to leave.
What happens in between, I have no idea but have never experienced any damage.

I had Tux at a public street closed show last summer, I was out looking at other cars and when I returned I see a kit drawing on my trunk lid with his ice cream cone while dad was standing there with a blank stare on his face. They were shocked when I let out a WTF. Dad just kinda shrugged grinned took kid and walked off. Then after I clean the trunk lid I see lil daps of paint mid height on body. I puzzled, looking around at how/why I see in the park that they have set up an old car for kids to paint. Not kids fault that they have just been taught at a car show that it is fun to go paint old cars.
The public shows are the riskiest shows, but those shows also bring people that would never had any care about old cars and some leave with knowledge of the cars and the hard work caring for them. I am horse by end of day telling people about my cars. Just gotta watch or have designated eyes with you. I thought I had eyes when we left my sister in-law behind with the car, (in red) she was useless. did not faze her one bit the people should not be ice creaming and painting the car. I drive them as much as I can and try to be pleasant to who ever comes to look. Have fun as much as possible.

IMG_1624.jpeg

I usually park the car and walk away. I don't have anything without patina, so as long as someone isn't dancing on my car, I'm good. The only time anything happened, was when a friend brought along his best friend's son, and his wet Nerf football landed on my trunk. It was later in the day, and no cars were parked next to mine. I brought the ball over to him anr politely explained that he shouldn't be throwing things near cars at a show, or even bringing a ball in the first place. (I saw him kicking a soccer ball earlier in the day, and wondered "who the heck let this kid bring a ball?) He looked like he understood, and threw it away from my car. The kid needed a guy figure in his life, and he was having fun, and my car didn't get hurt, it already got rained on that day, so what's a little more water?

I had a friend who let every kid that wanted to, climb in and sit in the driver's seat, that always gave them a huge smile.

IMG_20180916_121751.jpg

RIP Dave

Last edited:
I drive my cars long distances to particular shows I want to attend.
That itself is a risk of any damage albeit a stone chip to heaven forbid get in an accident.
Putting up a "dont touch" sign would be hypocritical.
So I let people enjoy my cars.
I even let select members here drive the Boab when we were at the C body show in Volo.
If kids want to sit in it sure.
I do not discourage the kids that show enthusiasm.
We need the next generation to enjoy cars too.

I drive my cars long distances to particular shows I want to attend.
That itself is a risk of any damage albeit a stone chip to heaven forbid get in an accident.
Putting up a "dont touch" sign would be hypocritical.
So I let people enjoy my cars.
I even let select members here drive the Boab when we were at the C body show in Volo.
If kids want to sit in it sure.
I do not discourage the kids that show enthusiasm.
We need the next generation to enjoy cars too.
Having kids and people have a seat in the cars is great. I offer when I see they are into the car, I will also take a photo for them. I do it quick tho, before the owner gets back.
Ha Ha..

Hi all,
I myself have the presence to not touch anyone's car at a show, as I would not like anyone to touch my car when I bring it to a show for the first time this coming summer.
I'm sure you guys are the same!
I am having a few custom stickers made up for my cars " You Touch My Car, I Touch your Wife " and a common one ordered " If You Value Your Life, Don't Touch My Car " Warning sticker.
I am having visions of me resurecting my Jiu Jitsu/ MMA grabbing someone giving him/ her a Tomanagi, flipping over them and them putting them in an arm bar if they touch my cars!
That being said, do you guys get tired of saying " Please do not touch the car" or what do you do?
Tried looking for a thread to this effect but did not find one, wrong key words I guess in my search.

Have a nice day,

PT

Why not let a kid sit in your car??? When I go to shows, I love it when well-behaved kids admire the car, and ask things like "do you have wi-fi?" or "where's the cupholders?"...If I'm with the car at that moment, I'm more than happy to let the kid(s) sit in the car, and have their parental unit take a couple of pictures. Kids dig it, parents love it, and there is a pretty good chance I've steered a kid (pun intended) towards appreciation and possible future ownership, of an old car of some type. It's all about being a good ambassador...not being a snobbish, selfish *** about it.

With that said, people with bicycles that insist on riding between cars? I'll jump on their asses like no one's business. Strollers are another thing, too, but they are few and far between, thankfully.

I do shows regularly and yes I do the whole wipe down after my registration. And I too have no real quarrels with the public leaning in to take a look. Although bikes, motorized scooters and people with dogs scare me.

But there has been a couple of times all I could do was shake my head. The fact someone would lean on my car while talking to someone else. I bet they wouldn't dare do that to a Chevelle or Camaro.

Back