Dodge Nitro?

15K .... whew ...... could have a nice "C" wagon and gas & insurance for five years for that. And the wagon would be worth more then too. :poke:

No, it's no Fury convertible, but it's a nice ride.

Supposedly, the average used car price is now $16650. I've seen the exact same Nitro retailing for over $18000. $15000 was just above clean trade. It was a good deal IMHO.

I couldn't put my wife and kids in a 40+ year old wagon. Plus, my wife didn't want it. So, hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off in a Nitro they go.

I have no experience with these cars at all, I have seen one drive by on occasion now and again and that's about it. So whats it like to drive Ben?

I haven't looked at the nitro, but the Liberty with the 3.7 around here does not hold it's resale value, and the mileage is poor. We have driven the 2007, and now 2013 Patriot here for the last eight years, and have had excellent luck with both of them. Plus, when they come up for sale, they are gone in short order. They are a five start rated vehicle as well.

wellp,, mechanic dude says its the heater core.. whole dash has to come out...
sigh.

can you bypass the heater core like on an old car? just put the IN to the OUT and keep going?

I have no experience with these cars at all, I have seen one drive by on occasion now and again and that's about it. So whats it like to drive Ben?

Hi Gary,
The steering and handling is very tight and in a good way. I'm really impressed.
The 3.7 V6 had moderate power, but at least has enough to handle traffic. I'm not planning on beating a Camaro.
Interior is very comfortable and well organized.
Gas mileage is 17mpg city and a little over 20 on highway, which is a downside. It's a medium sized, but heavy vehicle.
Looks like it's pretty simple to work on as well.
People seem to stay away from the 2007-2008 models because of electrical and TIPM issues.
Overall, I love the truck. It seems strong and sturdy. I get a lot of compliments on the body. So far, I'd highly recommend it.

sigh.

can you bypass the heater core like on an old car? just put the IN to the OUT and keep going?

Where there's a will, there's a way. How much heat do you need in Garland Texas?

sigh.

Yes you can bypass it and just run it. Not here in Mi but in Tx sure

Hi Gary,
The steering and handling is very tight and in a good way. I'm really impressed.
The 3.7 V6 had moderate power, but at least has enough to handle traffic. I'm not planning on beating a Camaro.
Interior is very comfortable and well organized.
Gas mileage is 17mpg city and a little over 20 on highway, which is a downside. It's a medium sized, but heavy vehicle.
Looks like it's pretty simple to work on as well.
People seem to stay away from the 2007-2008 models because of electrical and TIPM issues.
Overall, I love the truck. It seems strong and sturdy. I get a lot of compliments on the body. So far, I'd highly recommend it.
That's interesting regarding the mileage, I would have thought being such a modern car it would be better.

Hi Saylor,
Nice looking truck! Rough to sell your SUV because of a heater core and occasional start up issues. I paid $1100 for a full evaporator/heater core replace in a Chrysler Concorde, where the whole dash had to come out and the AC had to be evacuated and recharged. It was my wife's car, and I really didn't want to do the job. Plus, I didn't have money to replace the car at the time. I still think it was money well spent. Best of luck in selling yours though.

right on. its a good excuse to get me into a new 2014 / 2015 4door dodge truck :)

i got it all fixed and its road worthy again... hopefully someone will buy it soon and i can go truck shopping !

i did not - i had a shop do it. heater core R&R + upper & lower hose was $1200. when they said the whole dash and steering wheel had to come off, i was out. and i cant let the car sit for days, its my daily driver, so i just paid the money.

ill just leave this here ...

20150829_090610.jpg

20150829_090610.jpg

Like the truck. I assume that's the new truck?! Looks like that emblem says HEMI. Bet it's quite a power upgrade over the Nitro.

$1200 sounds about right for a Nitro heater core.

I once had a 67 GTO, no AC. There was a removable panel on the firewall. If I remember correctly, I think it was mounted on studs. Anyway, remove the nuts, pull the panel, and the heater core could be pulled out into the engine compartment. I sold the car in 1990, so I may be foggy on this. But what a wonderful idea!

ya its like the nitro, but all growed up :)

5.7 hemi motor with the 8 speed transmission is a beast.

the only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did is dual exhaust, but its plenty nice. im very lucky to have it.

I read some about the 8-speed auto in Allpar. Sounds like the ZF partnership was a great idea. I'm happy Chrysler still has great ideas.

I am also surprised to hear that the trans uses Lifeguard 8, not ATF+4. I had never even heard of Lifeguard 8. Is checking the trans oil any easier with the ZF 8-speed than with the Nitro?

Back