For Sale DODGE SPIRIT RT-1991 FASTEST IN THE WORLD - $4200

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert but I think that would be an ideal car to put free-flowing air filter setup, larger exh, a more modern turbo, and standalone engine management. Surely 20-40 hp is easy to add to that thing without really changing much at all. And yes, the tune is the key to making any turbo car live.

I've always like the Spirit RT, and this seems a fair price for one, or at least at 4200 you're not making a huge investment in a toy. I don't know if I would like driving a small 80s-mid90s Chrysler car though - I once test-drove a turbo Laser and remember how much the car shook when the engine was starting. A big step down compared to a 20-years-older C-body!!!

Air filter and exhaust is agreat way to start and getting rid of the poor flowing old style cat. Stand alone management would be great if you have the interest to master it. In my experience the best way to know what ever you are doing is ok is to have a boost guage a wide band O2 sensor guage and a exhaust temp guage and a knock sensor monitor to see if the computer is pulling timing because of knock. Problem is it is hard to monitor all these things at WOT unless you have someone else with you especially at higher boost levels.

Last edited:
Easiest thing is to keep it stock and put in an upgrade stock type computer for stock engines to raise the boost a smidge

I had a regular Spirit ES with the Mitsubishi 3.0 V6. I absolutely loved that car. Traded it for a 3.5 Intrepid & loved that car too.
I had 3 Intrepid 3.5 cars. Great cars except the 2nd generation LH HVAC. We put over 300000 miles on the cars and not one of them cost over $10K. 3.5V6 is a great runner. Chrysler should have made it standard and avoided the 2.7.

I had 3 Intrepid 3.5 cars. Great cars except the 2nd generation LH HVAC. We put over 300000 miles on the cars and not one of them cost over $10K. 3.5V6 is a great runner. Chrysler should have made it standard and avoided the 2.7.
Yep the 3.5 is an underrated domestic Chrysler engine. Mine was a 220 horse. What’s the power at on the newer ones

Yep the 3.5 is an underrated domestic Chrysler engine. Mine was a 220 horse. What’s the power at on the newer ones
250 hp/250 ft lbs torque for 2010 dodge charger with 3.5. 2011 the Pentastar 3.6 replaced the 3.5

For what it's worth, mine always felt like they outperformed the hp ratings. I think Chrysler intentionally underrated them.

Last edited:
A lot of V6 engines have flat spots where the torque/poserband fell off. Having owned Ford & Dodge push rod V6 engines I was not impressed. And friends that had those God awefull GM G Body Cars with the 3.8 Buick V6. I use to tease them by asking if I needed to get out & push. My Spirt with the 3.0 Mitsubishi OHC engine had a wider power band & was pretty neat to drive. Then my 3.5 Intrepid had big block style seamless torque. Really was a neat car to drive. I currently own a 03 Grand Caravan daily driver that has the 3.3 push rod. They got this engine right. It too has a nice flat (360) style torque curve. The 4 speed auto I’m sure plays a big role in that too.

A lot of V6 engines have flat spots where the torque/poserband fell off. Having owned Ford & Dodge push rod V6 engines I was not impressed. And friends that had those God awefull GM G Body Cars with the 3.8 Buick V6. I use to tease them by asking if I needed to get out & push. My Spirt with the 3.0 Mitsubishi OHC engine had a wider power band & was pretty neat to drive. Then my 3.5 Intrepid had big block style seamless torque. Really was a neat car to drive. I currently own a 03 Grand Caravan daily driver that has the 3.3 push rod. They got this engine right. It too has a nice flat (360) style torque curve. The 4 speed auto I’m sure plays a big role in that too.
Funny... I was never a huge fan of the 3.0, but I disliked the 80's turbo longevity even more... I have thought for a very long time that a K-vert and a 3.0 swap would yield a fun to drive reliable car. No point these days... they're all getting too hard to find for any of that to be worthwhile.

Funny... I was never a huge fan of the 3.0, but I disliked the 80's turbo longevity even more... I have thought for a very long time that a K-vert and a 3.0 swap would yield a fun to drive reliable car. No point these days... they're all getting too hard to find for any of that to be worthwhile.
The lower end of the 3.0 Mitsubishi was rock solid. The cylinder heads had valve guide problems that were expensive to repair. And that ruined the reputation of that engine.

The lower end of the 3.0 Mitsubishi was rock solid. The cylinder heads had valve guide problems that were expensive to repair. And that ruined the reputation of that engine.
And gave them that "3.0 aroma" when stuck behind one in traffic... :lol:

At one point in time, the Madsoshitty 3.0 was Chrysler's highest single warranty cost. I would say any vehicle with a Mitsu engine is a -20% deduction in value. I'd prefer a turbo 4 or 3.3/3.8 any day of the week.

Commando my good friend. Reading this thread I've stayed silent but now before it getz too far off the Spirit Topic I feel the need to add my .02. The 16V Lotus Head had an Achilles Heal. They either cracked between the valvez early in their life , OR THEY DID NOT. (they could be re-welded and re-machined but pricey)Prices of the Spirits run from the low 2Ks up to 5K regardless of the year or color, Red or White or '91 or '92, pick your poison? CHEAP INSURANCE? Have an Oil Analysis done first and you'll know what you're buying? FYI, That engine will also fit in the Scamp/Rampage. Very close between the passenger frame rail and the crank pulley. (Piece of cardboard close) I have friendz that showed me their conversionz from the under side, lol. BTW, DO NOT stick your head out the side window when you test drive that White Beauty and bring it into boost comin' thru' the gearz. You'll trap bugz while you're grinin' and they taste bad. Jer

Thanks guys. I'm playing catchup on these lil shitboxes. Still learning.
Who knows. Maybe one of these will fall into my lap and I can finally put back into use my right hand and left leg just as God intended.

Never drove an RT, but I did drive a Spirit ES Turbo new in '89. Car was great! The RT would have been even better.

Car and Driver Magazine did a road test in Germany down to Italy in a red Spirit RT. Article was great as they talked about the people who were absolutely surprised to be passed up by am American 4-door sedan!

Looks like the post is about to end. If somebody really really wants the car, better act fast. I am not too far away, and I may be getting treatment at the Va hospital, sort of near by. If someone wanted to work out a fee to inspect/take pictures/intermediary for purchase, maybe I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back