Donny's 1970 300

Right outside of Sheridan, there was a German guy that ran a cleaning business, press our BDUs and general work like that, his name was Kalka, Herr Kalka. Great guy, old Hitler Youth guy, loved to talk about the good old days! I liked to go to the place down near B17 on the way to Gablingen where the Beer and Pretzels were to die for! The Beer was that heavy Yeast beer, see the bubbles bubbling up, it was a meal that Pretzel and Weizen Beer! I've got tons of pictures from Augsburg I need to transfer to digital, I keep putting that off...gotta get to it!

Yep, I knew him too. Great guy! Was the "Last Chance" bar still open outside of the gate at Sheridan Kaserne? He said us Artillery guys leaving was pretty much going to put him out of business.

I have some pictures too.....damn I wish they had digital camera's back then. I would be very interested to see your pictures once you get them digitized.

I liked Maximilianstrasse in downtown Augsburg with the cobblestone streets.

fountain.jpg

images

DEUBY00027_1.jpg

54803871.jpg

Wow! Coolness! I think that bar hung on for a little more, but, lots of business' around Augsburg were slowly dying in the mid 90s and for sure died later. Did you ever go to the Car Craft Center? I did, and knew those guys in there really well! The eastern German man (can't remember his name) would crack jokes about the Schwatzer Man that worked there, the differences in how this black guy kept his tools and how the Germans kept their tools was as noticeable as the color of their skins! Insane, he would carry a 5 gallon bucket around with sockets, wrenches, etc in it.

Anyways, went to O'Reilly to get some belts, they don't have them for this car! Went to Pep Boys after Auto Zone had a line of people in there -- typical Auto Zone mentality, do more with less people -- well the bloke a Pep Boys was lost as well, his general knowledge of cars is lacking! The international standard on identification of belts for cars is lost to him, for example, belt #15295 breaks down as follows; 15 is the width, and 295 is 29 1/2 inches. 17 would be a wider belt etc. He had NO idea of this simple standard. Anyways, Pep Boys only stocked ONE Alt and A/C belt whereas it requires two belts, DOH! And, of note, when I worked for Pep Boys in DE/PA in 1983-1985 the store I worked at set the standard for lay-outs and marketing, this was early 1980s mind you! This store here in San Antonio has the SAME lay-out, and the same displays, etc. Like WTH are the boys thinking, they're stuck in the early 1980s! Still shooting for my goal of driving the car to the MOPAR show in mid October.

Oh Yeah, I was at the auto craft shop all the time. I believe the German guy working there was Deiter. Medium height, blond hair kind of balding in the front. Always wore a shop coat. Very friendly and had good automotive knowledge.

There was an American new car lot (part of the PX) across the street from the Main PX. They didn't sell any the cars they had on the lot .....they were displays only. All cars had to be shipped from "The World" and picked up in Bremerhaven. I ordered a 1989 Z28 from the PX lot. My other choice was a 4 cyl Horizon or an Omni. I had the Z28 there in Augsburg for 3 years.

I remember that PX, book store right nearby, and the salesman for the PX selling cars, when I was there, the new LH cars were out, the Eagle Vision was looking mighty fine for sure!

Oh Yeah, I was at the auto craft shop all the time. I believe the German guy working there was Deiter. Medium height, blond hair kind of balding in the front. Always wore a shop coat. Very friendly and had good automotive knowledge.

There was an American new car lot (part of the PX) across the street from the Main PX. They didn't sell any the cars they had on the lot .....they were displays only. All cars had to be shipped from "The World" and picked up in Bremerhaven. I ordered a 1989 Z28 from the PX lot. My other choice was a 4 cyl Horizon or an Omni. I had the Z28 there in Augsburg for 3 years.
Should have gone Mopar, Bob.

Those Omnis were bad ***......

I remember that PX, book store right nearby, and the salesman for the PX selling cars, when I was there, the new LH cars were out, the Eagle Vision was looking mighty fine for sure!

My girlfriend Emina worked at the PX cafeteria on the 1st floor. My best friend married a girl from Foret....her sisters still live there. They say the whole military complex, the PX, Commissary, and the Hospital are all shut down now. I'll go back for a visit sooner or later.

My girlfriend Emina worked at the PX cafeteria on the 1st floor. My best friend married a girl from Foret....her sisters still live there. They say the whole military complex, the PX, Commissary, and the Hospital are all shut down now. I'll go back for a visit sooner or later.

Would you still be entitled to visit and buy inside still existing installations as a vet ?

Would you still be entitled to visit and buy inside still existing installations as a vet ?

Absolutely.....not as a vet but as a Retiree I can. I still have a military ID that has an indefinite expiration date.

Vets-samplemilitaryid-US.jpg

Good, I'll write you a list when you visit then LOL.

But the first two only for redistribution, swallow the ice cream right on the spot. :)

Last edited:
When I got to Augsburg, the American Krankenhaus was just closed, and, a few years earlier had just been remodeled and rebuilt!

Sheesh, you'd think we were talking 1945 here....

No silk stockings??
Or was that the demoiselles?

I would of loved to been there in 1945...

BTW, did you know that they held all of the major Nazi POW's in Augsburg until they moved them to Nuremberg for their trials?

I already shipped my Z28 so it would be at BWI Airport in Baltimore when I landed from Munich.

The last night I spent in Augsburg in 1992, I was walking out the gate to meet my girlfriend to go to dinner and I met an American couple, both in their 70's. They wanted to ask me a few questions about the Army base. He said he was stationed here in 1945 and was a little disorientated. I asked which base he was at, Sheridan, Reese, or Flak Kaserne? He said he didn't know because they liberated and occupied those camps before they were officially named. So he described a building with a German Eagle relief on it. I knew what building it was and asked him if he wanted to go on the base and look around. I met my girlfriend and all 4 of us when on the base and he showed me stuff from 1945 and I showed him what has changed....we were both amazed! We invited them to join us for dinner at the Balkan Grill...we had a great time reminiscing!!!

That's one day/night I'll never forget!

BTW, I believe the silk stocking advantage ended in the early 1960's.

Balkan Grill, awesome food for sure! Was that Nazi Eagle on Sheridan, over in the corner of the base, down by the motor pools, but, the Swastika had been cemented in?

I tried on some different wheel/tire combo, I sort of like it! Need a little more offset outwards though, maybe about 1 inch outwards.
IMG_2546.jpgIMG_2547.jpgIMG_2548.jpgIMG_2553.jpgIMG_2554.jpgIMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

Balkan Grill, awesome food for sure! Was that Nazi Eagle on Sheridan, over in the corner of the base, down by the motor pools, but, the Swastika had been cemented in?

Yep, that's the one. That was 1st Battalion, 18th Field Artillery Regiment's motor pool. It was still there in 1992 when I left. We also had 1st Battalion, 30th Field Artillery Regiment on Sheridan Kaserne. I was in the 1st Battalion, 36th Field Artillery Regiment on Reese Kaserne. We also had a Lance Missile Battalion, which was located on McKee Barracks in Crailsheim. Our Brigade Headquarters, 17th Field Artillery Brigade was on Reese Kaserne also. We all were part of VII Corps Artillery (Heavy) which also had their HQ on Sheridan Kaserne.

Here's a Lance Missile.....it'll take out a grid square.

MGM-52_Lance_13.jpg

Back