Donny's 1970 300

Some choose to remove that a/c parts under the hood -- and yeah its a matter of personal choice. Although I've thought about it once or twice I can't bring myself to do that to my car, but I won't sit up on my high horse and trash others simply because the decided to deep six the system...it IS a big piece of iron just sitting there. They could do much worse when you see some of the nonsense out on Craigslist.

I'm keeping this stock AC unit. It has not spun since 1984, the last time I ran the AC in this car. I broke into the system in 1997 when I started taking this car apart. I scored the donor 300, and, sourced spare hoses from it, but, I still went and looked for new OEM or aftermarket hoses, they are not available at all. So, I may just take them to the hydraulic hose shop, and have them manufactured using the existing canisters that are in the lines.

Of note, I confirmed the PS gearbox is needing to be changed, it dumps PS fluid out the input steering shaft, must be totally dry-rotted. Good thing O'Reilly has them, just over $120 bucks for a rebuilt, $30.00 core. One thing about the R12 systems, they blew COLD, far colder than the R134, I'd so Love to score some old R12! Also, going to get an Air Filter for the stock dual snorkel intake requires it being ordered! Amazing!

Some choose to remove that a/c parts under the hood -- and yeah its a matter of personal choice. Although I've thought about it once or twice I can't bring myself to do that to my car, but I won't sit up on my high horse and trash others simply because the decided to deep six the system...it IS a big piece of iron just sitting there. They could do much worse when you see some of the nonsense out on Craigslist.

Very well put Gary..... Your windows are always down and arm on the door :thumbsup:

Very well put Gary..... Your windows are always down and arm on the door :thumbsup:
Yup, thanks. I've got A/C but If I have to choose I prefer the windows down. Its nice to have A/C, but I'm addicted to having windows down. I love it during the warm months. The compressor location is a pain in the *** though, esp. when trying to set timing or futz around with the dizzy or whatever. It just gets in the damn way. I like all the space you get when there's no compressor sitting there.

Yup, thanks. I've got A/C but If I have to choose I prefer the windows down. Its nice to have A/C, but I'm addicted to having windows down. I love it during the warm months. The compressor location is a pain in the *** though, esp. when trying to set timing or futz around with the dizzy or whatever. It just gets in the damn way. I like all the space you get when there's no compressor sitting there.

Lol!!!!!!!!!

Guess I need to check that out then. My thing is "Amish Mafia". oh, and I love me some Ghost Adventures..."GAC" Forever.

Do yourself a big favor, and DO NOT watch the last episode of Breaking Bad without going back and watching ALL the prior episodes - starting with No. 1. You can get 'em all from Netflix streaming and elsewhere, I think.

I think "Breaking Bad" is just about the best TV ever. . .

Yeah, so I've heard. Must be really good. High School Chemistry teacher turn crack dealer. That's certainly new.

Never watched an episode. Saw the first ten minutes and proclaimed it sucked. Just like Boardwalk Empire

Ok, I called around and got some information where to get my A/C hoses rebuilt. They said if the connecting ends, and metal pieces are good, each rubber section will be about $50.00 bucks to fabricate and create. The Flaming River Ujoint system I'm back on board with, they sent me the wrong item, and they're sending me the right one, as soon as it gets here, installing it after I install a new P/S gear box which is spitting oil out the front of it when under pressure, so, might as well just replace vs. rebuilding it.

Work took a dive the last half of September, I had time to do my own stuff, but, I was getting pretty spooked that the pipeline was running dry, had postponements and cancellations, and long-time customers bitching about pricing -- he wanted a better and better deal until he was paying nothing -- put a stop to that! But, just in the past 24 hours 3 big jobs landed in my lap, jobs that are going to put water back in that proverbial pipe!

Ok, I called around and got some information where to get my A/C hoses rebuilt. They said if the connecting ends, and metal pieces are good, each rubber section will be about $50.00 bucks to fabricate and create. The Flaming River Ujoint system I'm back on board with, they sent me the wrong item, and they're sending me the right one, as soon as it gets here, installing it after I install a new P/S gear box which is spitting oil out the front of it when under pressure, so, might as well just replace vs. rebuilding it.

Work took a dive the last half of September, I had time to do my own stuff, but, I was getting pretty spooked that the pipeline was running dry, had postponements and cancellations, and long-time customers bitching about pricing -- he wanted a better and better deal until he was paying nothing -- put a stop to that! But, just in the past 24 hours 3 big jobs landed in my lap, jobs that are going to put water back in that proverbial pipe!

If you need a place to get your hoses redone...you can probably UPS to the place I got mine done in Delaware. They had them done in less than 24 hours. I think the whole job was $220.

DSC02059.jpgDSC02060.jpgDSC02061.jpgDSC02062.jpg

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

DSC02061.jpg

DSC02062.jpg

Alas! Finally, the correct Flaming River parts arrived to re-do the Steering column shaft! Installing the kit took far longer than I anticipated. Upper and Lower U-Joints with a chrome moly steel shaft, setting this up is a bit more complex than you might think! But, it WORKS, and works WELL! Also, the new steering gear box arrived at O'Reilly's, took the old core in for $30.00, and installed the new one, bingo, no leaks at all, and I have power steering, first time since 1994 (last time it was driven). I did a little drive yesterday, not too much, but, I was able to judge some of the mods I've done over the years, and, they work. The enhanced rear springs (one extra leaf in the middle of the stack) tightened up the body a LOT. The 3.23 gears vs. the 2.73 makes it a bit more responsive, the 727 with the performance shift kit makes it shift and engage more deliberately, and the Disc brakes up front from a 73 Newport work well, very well. The only thing I wished I installed was a Sure Grip rear end, burn outs are a one tire affair, and the old rubber really smokes up nicely!

There's a LOT left to do to this car, but, I have other people's cars to do www.drblast.com which pays the bills keeping the doors open, so, this reality is what it is! I'll post some pics tonight. Also, my neighbor at www.classiccustomupholstery.com took a video with my camera, but, he only got like 1 or 2 seconds of a burn out!

Last edited:
Back