Door hinge pin repair

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
PicsArt_02-27-02.12.41.jpg
My '67 Newport driver's door won't stay open so naturally I assume I have to replace that roll pin as shown in the pic or is it something else.
If it is that roll pin, are they available.

Last edited:
Those look like the pins I used on my 77 T&C during the resto. Worked fine.

I don't know if replacing the pin will solve your problem. The rod the spring is hooked to keeps it open. I would take a good look at it first.

I just looked at a couple of my parts cars. One was good and one was bad. The bad one had a stretched spring. As long as the rod looks attached I'd look at the spring.

If the rod is in place and the spring is tight it should work. Not sure what else it could be.

If the rod is in place and the spring is tight it should work. Not sure what else it could be.
OK. You were correct. The spring is not pulling on that curved piece with enough tension to hold the door open in the mid and open positions.
Here's the mystery. The spring itself has plenty of tension but when it's attached theres too much slack as if it's a ¼" too long.
Here's the spring.

PicsArt_02-27-03.10.10.jpg

The one I have is the same way. It must be that the springs have lost some of the tension from being stretched over time.

When I checked mine the pin had sheared off at the bottom of the roller and the pin wasn't engaged in the hole in the lower portion of the hinge. It wasn't visible until I removed the roller. The roller was just moving around and would not hold the door open..Watch your fingers if you have to reach in to remove it

Cheers

Ken

Just to clarify, the roll pin you show goes through a doughnut shaped roller. Two of my Newps still have the roll pin in place but the roller is gone.

My speculation is that over time, through a lack of lubrication, the roller seizes on the roll pin. Eventually, the curved stop rod with the spring wears through the roller until it breaks off, leaving only the roll pin.

So now the stop rod has nothing to rest against, hence the lack of tension on the spring.

Maybe try a mirror on the back side of the hinge and you will see/not see the roller on the roll pin.

I don't think it's possible to replace the roll pin and roller without removing the hinge or fender. (not enough finger space) If you support the door with a jack, you might be able to remove only the lower hinge to repair it.

I have seen NOS rebuild kits on eBay from time to time. They consist of the roll pin and roller.

I can take a pic of the back side of the hinge on one of my parts cars tomorrow if need be.

Hope the input helps.

John

Just to clarify, the roll pin you show goes through a doughnut shaped roller. Two of my Newps still have the roll pin in place but the roller is gone.

My speculation is that over time, through a lack of lubrication, the roller seizes on the roll pin. Eventually, the curved stop rod with the spring wears through the roller until it breaks off, leaving only the roll pin.

So now the stop rod has nothing to rest against, hence the lack of tension on the spring.

Maybe try a mirror on the back side of the hinge and you will see/not see the roller on the roll pin.

I don't think it's possible to replace the roll pin and roller without removing the hinge or fender. (not enough finger space) If you support the door with a jack, you might be able to remove only the lower hinge to repair it.

I have seen NOS rebuild kits on eBay from time to time. They consist of the roll pin and roller.

I can take a pic of the back side of the hinge on one of my parts cars tomorrow if need be.

Hope the input helps.

John
Exactly the info I was looking for.
I was almost certain there should have been a roller. And yes, my roll pin is sheared and there is no roller. With the roller in there, that would push the bracket out enough to take up the slack n the spring I mentioned.
:thankyou:

And here's a picture
Thanks for walking us through the details. I have been watching, wishing I was there to figure it out myself. This is even better, no dirty hands, no smashed fingers... I have worked with enough hinges, sounds like those are not real fun ones to remove or repair. I wish you luck and a bloodless repair for Bittersweet.

Back