Door hinge pin repair

damn, another mystery explained!

thanks commando, and everyone that commented. I have to hold my driver door open it wont stay, and now I know why :)

Checked my hinge and I still think my first diagnosis of the spring being stretched is correct. My hinge looks and works good. the pin and roller is good but in the open position the spring ls loose enough to come off. The rod is not in contact with the roller in that position. Here's pictures open and closed.
20160228_173719.jpg
20160228_173748.jpg

hard to believe those springs could be stretched to the point of being weak. look at the size of those bastards. not to mention the fact they are mostly in the retracted position 90 percent of their life. cant be weak only broken.

hard to believe those springs could be stretched to the point of being weak. look at the size of those bastards. not to mention the fact they are mostly in the retracted position 90 percent of their life. cant be weak only broken.

They are not retracted most of the time. When the door is in the closed position there is tension on them. So 98% of the time they do have tension on them. After 50 years of that I think they do stretch.

They are not retracted most of the time. When the door is in the closed position there is tension on them. So 98% of the time they do have tension on them. After 50 years of that I think they do stretch.
not to argue but I think you are wrong. as far as having enough tension on them to weaken them. a thousand years should not weaken a spring unless it is stretched out for long periods of time..

Last edited:
I don't need pictures. I have the exact hinges on my 66 fury and the tension on the springs with doors open or closed is not that noticeable. as noticed in your pics. so here we go again. the springs are not the problem.

Guys look at the pictures and form your opinion. I'm done here. (On this thread). I'm here for fun not to argue.

As I posted earlier when I replaced mine it turned out that the pin which goes through the hinge then through the roller then through the lower portion of the hinge. When the pin shears off , the roller is free to move around enough that there is slack in the spring. Have someone hold the door stationary and reach inside of the hinge to move the roller around ( be careful of your fingers). The roller is either damaged or the pin is sheared off. And the pin can be replaced while the hinge is on the car , with nimble fingers and someone to hold the door motionless

Last edited:
Back