Dragging calipers on my '73 conversion

Yes, the 71 booster (as long as it's for discs of course) will work. Note that there are two caveats:

1) If your 66 300 is column shift, the 71 booster, being quite a bit wider than the 66 disc booster, will likely interfere with the column shift linkage, preventing you from engaging Low 2 and Low 1.

2) There may be fitment issues with the reinforcing plate that goes behind the booster next to the firewall. While I did not experience that, others have. There's talk of having to hog out some holes etc to make it work.

Best is to try and find an original 65-68 disc booster core and rebuild it.

Yes, the 71 booster (as long as it's for discs of course) will work. Note that there are two caveats:

1) If your 66 300 is column shift, the 71 booster, being quite a bit wider than the 66 disc booster, will likely interfere with the column shift linkage, preventing you from engaging Low 2 and Low 1.

2) There may be fitment issues with the reinforcing plate that goes behind the booster next to the firewall. While I did not experience that, others have. There's talk of having to hog out some holes etc to make it work.

Best is to try and find an original 65-68 disc booster core and rebuild it.

Thanks, Ross. I guess (like Mike) I'll hafta give Murray Park a call. . .

I was suggesting hoarding - something that has proven very good for me...

Too bad it's outa stock.

Time to scour the Murray Parks of the world for a core.

Am I the only one besides Mike that knows what "Zymurgy" means?
I actually had looked that one up long ago... along with Fratzog... but before you give me too much trouble over a made up word, it's not like I ever had to repair a Fratzog.

So Mike, do you have any updates on the booster and the drag of a situation Goldie has been in?

BTW, I saw a b-body the other day sporting a 73 booster with a 383 & the HP manifolds... it was real tight but it worked.
I'll check to see if I got a picture of it.

Further to all this - it's interesting to note that the Ram Man is selling the reproduction B Body Bendix booster. Those ones are only slightly smaller than our C body versions - 8" as opposed to 8.5" (I think).

As well he recently started listing that repro booster in all his disc conversion kits for C body and B/E/D body cars ranging from 1960 and up.

Perhaps this booster is our new go-to rather than trying to find the elusive holy grail C body Bendix boosters...

I am going to call him to discuss this week.

So Mike, do you have any updates on the booster and the drag of a situation Goldie has been in?

BTW, I saw a b-body the other day sporting a 73 booster with a 383 & the HP manifolds... it was real tight but it worked.
I'll check to see if I got a picture of it.

I decided to hold off on the electronic ignition, until I try a NOS condenser from Rip. There would be some great driving this weekend, but have turned my attention on getting my old boat fixed and cleaned up for the 4th of July weekend.

Rip is the man. Waiting for me in a FedEx bag, was not only NOS condenser but the points as well. Thanks Rip
IMG_20170626_193742858.jpg

First thank you, thank you Rip, for the NOS points and condenser in exchange for future cold beverages. That was the problem with the ignition.

Update on my latest diagnoses. The shaft of the '67 dual diaphragm booster need to be pushed in to be bolted to the brake pedal of my '66.

I added flat washers ( in my case, 2 on each stud = 1/4") between the firewall and the booster. Now the brake pedal can be attached with no resistance.

Test drive time. Everything feels right now, slight depression before brakes engage. Now this is the big one, when I take my foot of the the pedal, I can feel the brakes immediately disengage and the car's inertia moving the car forward again. Never once, did I have that sensation, since the conversion.

The big test, nearly an hour of 40+ miles of country back roads, with a lot of starting and stopping. She drove perfectly start to finish. Happy 4th of July to me!!

Last edited:
Just to clarify - this is a second booster, or the original one that was rebuilt and had the pushrod come loose?

All being said, I am thrilled to hear of your success!

Back