Dragging calipers on my '73 conversion

Just to clarify - this is a second booster, or the original one that was rebuilt and had the pushrod come loose?

All being said, I am thrilled to hear of your success!

This is the original booster. I believe now the loose pushrod was hiding the overliyng problem of my '66 not matching up perfectly with the '67 booster.

Congrats! I'm really happy to hear you got it all worked out Mike.:thumbsup:

I did Niagara and Carlisle on the same trip a few years back.:poke:

First thank you, thank you Rip, for the NOS points and condenser in exchange for future cold beverages. That was the problem with the ignition.

Update on my latest diagnoses. The shaft of the '67 dual diaphragm booster need to be pushed in to be bolted to the brake pedal of my '66.

I added flat washers ( in my case, 2 on each stud = 1/4") between the firewall and the booster. Now the brake pedal can be attached with no resistance.

Test drive time. Everything feels right now, slight depression before brakes engage. Now this is the big one, when I take my foot of the the pedal, I can feel the brakes immediately disengage and the car's inertia moving the car forward again. Never once, did I have that sensation, since the conversion.

The big test, nearly an hour of 40+ miles of country back roads, with a lot of starting and stopping. She drove perfectly start to finish. Happy 4th of July to me!!

Eureka and Viola! Very very glad to hear all your running and disc brake conversion issues have finally ended. I think it was the good karma inherent in that NOS condenser. . .

As regards the spacer washers you installed to align that brake pedal push rod, I now remember that when I replaced the bad brake drum booster on my 66, there was a plastic spacer between the original master cylinder and booster. The guys who did that work left it out, because (for some reason) it was not required with the new booster they installed. I don't know why, but I saved the spacer; maybe it will come in handy when I do my disc brake conversion.

Sorry you can't make it to Carlisle, I would have enjoyed comparing notes with you again.

...there was a plastic spacer between the original master cylinder and booster. The guys who did that work left it out, because (for some reason) it was not required with the new booster they installed. I don't know why, but I saved the spacer; maybe it will come in handy when I do my disc brake conversion.

Sorry you can't make it to Carlisle, I would have enjoyed comparing notes with you again.

If nothing else that spacer will make a perfect template for a spacer. I plan on removing the washers and making a spacer out of gasket material.

Wish I was going to Carlisle too, any other car shows, that you going to in the region this year?

If nothing else that spacer will make a perfect template for a spacer. I plan on removing the washers and making a spacer out of gasket material.

Wish I was going to Carlisle too, any other car shows, that you going to in the region this year?

Mike: My spacer was made out of pretty hard plastic.

As regards shows: There are two currently on my radar. In early October, the Chrysler 300 Club, Intl. is having a meet in Lynchburg, VA. Their meets are always a lot of fun. The other show is the annual Garlits show in Florida in November. Last year, I loaded up the parts car on the Auto Train and went down there. I'm hoping for a repeat performance this year.

Are there other shows coming up between Ohio and Maryland I should take a look at?

As regards shows: There are two currently on my radar. In early October, the Chrysler 300 Club, Intl. is having a meet in Lynchburg, VA. Their meets are always a lot of fun. The other show is the annual Garlits show in Florida in November. Last year, I loaded up the parts car on the Auto Train and went down there. I'm hoping for a repeat performance this year.

Are there other shows coming up between Ohio and Maryland I should take a look at?

Those shows probably wouldn't work for me and there is nothing around here worth traveling to since you are going to Carlisle. Looks like I will need to shoot for a 2018 show.

BTW, Thanks again Rip... I'm sitting on the auto train as I type this... waiting to depart Sanford. IDK if I would have ever figured this out without your excellent advise.

Further to all this - it's interesting to note that the Ram Man is selling the reproduction B Body Bendix booster. Those ones are only slightly smaller than our C body versions - 8" as opposed to 8.5" (I think).

As well he recently started listing that repro booster in all his disc conversion kits for C body and B/E/D body cars ranging from 1960 and up.

Perhaps this booster is our new go-to rather than trying to find the elusive holy grail C body Bendix boosters...

I am going to call him to discuss this week.

Looks like our problems are over!!

I talked by eBay message to TheRamMan regarding the new reproduction Bendix Boosters. Here is a link to the auction:

BRAKE BOOSTER,MOPAR, C - BODY,IMPERIAL 1962 - 1972 | eBay

Here is the conversation:

New message from: 1theramman (860)

Hello and thanks for checking in with us. All Bendix cases are the same size on these particular Mopars. Only the rod and bolt pattern changed. So yes, it will work just fine with your C-Body.

All the best!
The Ram Man

What I sent him was:

"Great to see a quality reproduction of the Bendix dual diaphragm boosters. A quick question - 65-68 Chrysler Plymouth and Dodge C body cars had this type of booster, but to my understanding they were slightly larger (8.75" I think) than their B body and smaller bretheren.
In your auction description, you state that this is suitable for C body cars. If so, this is great, because there seem to be none of the original C body Bendix boosters available any more in the aftermarket remanufacturing sector. People wishing to convert to disc brakes are having a really difficult time finding the proper booster for their cars. KH single diaphragm disc boosters are typically too wide and interfere with shift linkages etc.
Can you confirm that your Bendix reproduction is good for 65-68 C body disc brake setups although it's slightly narrower? If so, I'm going to be telling all my colleagues on www.forcbodiesonly.com and cbodydrydock.com .
You should sign up on both those sites to promote!!"

What this indicates to me then in addition to this, is that the other booster out there from Pirate Jack and Moparpartsus may be suitable as well. Not sure though.

PIRATE JACK's BOOSTER
1966-70 Mopar OE Bendix Style 8" Dual Power Brake Booster for Mopar B Bodies | eBay

MOPARTPARTSUS BOOSTER
1966-70 Mopar OE Bendix Style 8" Dual Power Brake Booster for Mopar B Bodies | eBay

Last edited:
That is a fair price. It is almost exactly what I had in the purchase and then the rebuilding my 67 dual diaphragm. Correction the 2 at $250 are about $100 less.

Jeff! Glad the Auto Train is working out. As you travel north, I think you will go within a mile of my house. Of course, I'm at work today. But if you have any issues, call me.

Jeff! Glad the Auto Train is working out. As you travel north, I think you will go within a mile of my house. Of course, I'm at work today. But if you have any issues, call me.
Thanks Rip... my desire to stop was great, but I had to get to Harrisburg in time to get the Imperial tucked in and get my rental. Tomorrow is a junkyard day.

Back