Drum question

Marian

Reaction score
Here's the story. Apparently when I last drove the car (1979) I had welded the shoes to the drum. <so I'm told> After some prying and choice words we were able to look at the damage to the drum. I'm being told it is to damaged and I need to find a new rear drum. Most of you know that I'm trying to go back to as close to original as I can. Here is the problem. I can't seem to find one that has the outer coil wrapped around the drum. I'm finding newer fin type. Here's where you guys come in. <smile> Are the newer fin types designed to (a) reduce noise and (b) dissipate heat. If anyone can tell me where to I can find the coil wrapped ones, I'd appreciate it. If not, what is my best option?

I would start here on this site. There are a couple of cars being parted that might have what you need. Or try Murray B. Park.
http://www.cbodies.com/

The coil spring should come off your old drum. It's just a pressure fit if memory serves me. The spring was only there to help dissipate heat, the newer fined style does the same job.

The coil spring should come off your old drum. It's just a pressure fit if memory serves me. The spring was only there to help dissipate heat, the newer fined style does the same job.

The spring was there is help stop any squealing. It broke up any harmonic vibration in the drum.

Hi Marian, what model and year of car do you have? i have found that advance auto has brand new drums for 1968 chryslers and i know thats the type with the spring around em, only about 35 bucks each too from memory.

Hi Marian, what model and year of car do you have? i have found that advance auto has brand new drums for 1968 chryslers and i know thats the type with the spring around em, only about 35 bucks each too from memory.

65 dodge Monaco. I found a used drum on ebay but I'm not pay 100.00.

Back