Dual master cylinder on -56 with original drums

Glider

Reaction score
Wasn't there a discussion abou different brake cylinder combos a while ago..? I'm sticking to original stuff up front on my -56 N Y but I'm thinking abou getting dual master, so I'd be happy if someone remember the thread & / or could point out what year & model master cylinder to use.

If your '56 New Yorker has dual wheel cylinders per wheel, this is going to cause problems because a more modern dual pot master cylinder is not going to throw enough fluid volume to properly engage the dual wheel cylinders. You would probably need to look into if there are single wheel cylinder backing plates that can be adapted to your application. If not, you should keep what you have in a good state of repair.

The '67 master cylinder fits the same 4 bolt mount as your single pot master, so the mount is not a problem. www.inlinetube.com sells a universal dual pot distribution block that can be used to split the brake system.

Dave

IMHO, I think you could use a MC from a '67 W300 Dodge truck.

My reasoning is this... Looking at replacement MCs for your car shows that they are 1.25" bore diameter and they also fit up to 1966 W200 trucks. In 1967, the dual MC came into use, so it seems to me that would work. FYI, the MC for a '67 up C-Body has a 1" bore.

I don't think the dual cylinders is going to be an issue... Maybe some research into what the trucks used for wheel cylinders would show the answer though.

Aha, thanx. & yeah I reckon 0,25 isn't worth trying without checking out what size the wheelcylinder on trucks are...

Wasn't there a discussion abou different brake cylinder combos a while ago..? I'm sticking to original stuff up front on my -56 N Y but I'm thinking abou getting dual master, so I'd be happy if someone remember the thread & / or could point out what year & model master cylinder to use.
I’ve got a 58 that I did change from a single master cylinder to a dual . For safety reason that if I blew a brake line I would still have brakes to one set of wheel either front or back. Used a master cylinder for a 70 mopar with disc brake because of bigger reservoir for front brakes.

I did the same thing on a 1958 Plymouth about 15 years ago. I also used a disc brake master cylinder but I do not remember the year it came from. It worked great with no issues.

You could also call Jeff at Karps Brake Service since they specialize in older car brake systems including 56 New Yorkers with Centerplane brakes. No one knows these cars better than he does.....................909 985-0800. Also, I recall the 1955 New Yorkers had some pretty special power brake boosters but the 1956 New Yorkers might not be so specialized but he is also one of the very few guys in the country that can rebuild those power brake boosters.

Last edited:
Back