Edelbrock 1405

Mohawkmike

Reaction score
I am getting ready to swap out my worn out Carter 4113s with an edelbrock 1405, will that bolt right up or will I need a adapter for the transmission kick down and gas pedal and if I do do you have the part numbers that I will need Thanks

I am getting ready to swap out my worn out Carter 4113s with an edelbrock 1405, will that bolt right up or will I need a adapter for the transmission kick down and gas pedal and if I do do you have the part numbers that I will need Thanks
You may need a linkage studs. Lots of different applications.
1695417635846.png

You're making a GOOD move! I'm delighted w my 1405! I use the old 2 bbl kickdown linkage that came on my 68 Newport with the adapter shown above and a stud off one of my carbs. I got some OEM springs for this, and it all plays VERY nice with engine and tranny. I love the 1405, and spent a few extra pence on a good choke cable. Gertrude fires right up, cold or hot, rain or shine.

You're making a GOOD move! I'm delighted w my 1405! I use the old 2 bbl kickdown linkage that came on my 68 Newport with the adapter shown above and a stud off one of my carbs. I got some OEM springs for this, and it all plays VERY nice with engine and tranny. I love the 1405, and spent a few extra pence on a good choke cable. Gertrude fires right up, cold or hot, rain or shine.
Did you use the 1843 adapter

Yes. That one I had to have for the job. DON'T waste $ on their fancy fuel hose though, or any other stuff except a 1/2" phenolic spacer and maybe a breather if you lack one for 4 bbl carbs. I used the OEM spec Carter AFB rigid fuel line made by Inline Tube to excellent effect, and insulated it against heat. If you get their breather, get the adapter for the oil cap on the valve cover.

thanks looks like an obsolete part?

Doesn't seem to be a stocked item will anything else work for the 1405 on my 66 new yorker thanks
Sorry, I just provide links to the listings. So many parts are not available or on back order now days. You might have to search around on other suppliers websites to find what you need.

Sorry, I just provide links to the listings. So many parts are not available or on back order now days. You might have to search around on other suppliers websites to find what you need.
Look on eBay folks. Try Craigslist and Offerup. I got my stuff from JEGS about this time last year. The 1843 was the only thing so intrinsically meant to adapt an Edelbrock carb to a Chrysler that I had to have. Everything else I used came off my old Chrysler 2 barrel stuff or was made to general spec for old Mopar stuff, like the fuel line.

Edelbrocks can use a lot of Carter stuff because they're descended from them in business and design. I love Mopar products for their KISS adhesion.

thanks looks like an obsolete part?

Doesn't seem to be a stocked item will anything else work for the 1405 on my 66 new yorker thanks

You can do just as well to get the 1481, which is the same part with an anodized finish instead of black. If you really have trouble finding a 1843, go for the 1481. It's the ONLY thing you absolutely MUST get to make that 1405 carburetor work on your '66 New Yorker. OR, you can sell the NYer to me and my brood down here. We need more living space too, and I can always make it into an office!

The 1481 is a LOT more common on the Net right now.

MAKE SURE you Open the Edelbrock carb & not only set the float (gets banged up in shipping) but inspect the jets. We've had Nothing but problem since they were bought out & moved production south...
Some will come with cross threaded jets, other's have had aluminum shavings inside still. Quality control is not even a position anymore. They just pump **** directly out & cross their fingers...
They are also Very sensitive to fuel pressure. Anything over 5.5psi will seap sooner or later past the needle & seats...
IF you want any type of performance do youself a huge favor & add a 1/2" or 1" 4 hole wood carb spacer...
Edelbrock 8723 Edelbrock Carburetor Spacers | Summit Racing
The other main issue with these carbs is they are super bad on heat soak & boiling fuel as they hold so very little fuel in the "bowl" area's compared to a Holley based carb.

MAKE SURE you Open the Edelbrock carb & not only set the float (gets banged up in shipping) but inspect the jets. We've had Nothing but problem since they were bought out & moved production south...
Some will come with cross threaded jets, other's have had aluminum shavings inside still. Quality control is not even a position anymore. They just pump **** directly out & cross their fingers...
They are also Very sensitive to fuel pressure. Anything over 5.5psi will seap sooner or later past the needle & seats...
IF you want any type of performance do youself a huge favor & add a 1/2" or 1" 4 hole wood carb spacer...
The other main issue with these carbs is they are super bad on heat soak & boiling fuel as they hold so very little fuel in the "bowl" area's compared to a Holley based carb.
We have discussed the quality of the "remanufactured" carbs when they are available. Many are simply returned because the new owners don't know how to adjust and tune them. Others have shavings and are mis-adjusted like you mentioned. The reman carbs have probably been taken apart and hand rebuilt and adjusted.

We have discussed the quality of the "remanufactured" carbs when they are available. Many are simply returned because the new owners don't know how to adjust and tune them. Others have shavings and are mis-adjusted like you mentioned. The reman carbs have probably been taken apart and hand rebuilt and adjusted.
No remans. I'm speaking of their New annular minor update that offered. They have been being drop shipped directly from Edelbrock. They are so bad now we've gotten 2 aluminum heads with oil drain holes missing. AFTER waiting 9 month's for back order.
Talk about a Joke!

Yes, I got a 1/2" wood (phenolic) spacer for my 1405, and had it rebuilt by my octogenarian carburetor wizard. He at first had given up on the thing as a bad job due to the base of one of the idle jets having been ground down too low for the screw to close it or even regulate the flow. THEN, he found another base in his hoard of junked carbs. (ALL GOOD OLD MECHANICS HOARD THEIR USED PARTS! One can't rely on any new made JUNK to be worth the energy to melt it to slag any longer.) So, Carburetor Andy then rebuilt the 1405 with the alternate base and the other brand new parts which came off the carb as I turned it over to him/ Some of you may recall this carb originally came to me as part of the extra parts package I bought along with Gertrude 2 years ago. All told, that crazy hermit made us a VERY FAIR DEAL, though I wasn't so happy at the time.

Neither Old Andy or I could tell whether that 1405 had come from the factory so flawed, or whether some ham-fisted idiot had ruined it in a fit of ardrenal+ rage, but, after having read the above comment, I'm more apt to forgive the former owner and ascribe it to the abysmal Kwollitee Kuntroll normal to the southerly region aforementioned. We did discuss the possibility last year upon my receipt of his excellent work, and NOW that 1405 performs VERY ADMIRABLY INDEED!

So long as I have my team of 75 yr+ old mechanics for certain specialized tasks, I will buy used parts for rebuilding with confidence. I also try to learn as much of the details of rebuilding these subsystems myself, while enjoying my relative youth as a mere sexagenarian sprat.

You can do just as well to get the 1481, which is the same part with an anodized finish instead of black. If you really have trouble finding a 1843, go for the 1481. It's the ONLY thing you absolutely MUST get to make that 1405 carburetor work on your '66 New Yorker. OR, you can sell the NYer to me and my brood down here. We need more living space too, and I can always make it into an office!

The 1481 is a LOT more common on the Net right now.
hahahaha

That's exactly how I got mine to work. I hired an Old Pro to do it, and as you can see from earlier comments, he earned his paltry sum from me well! I don't trust ANY of these modern manufacturers, in any country to do a job right any more. The brand new PowerMaster and Tuff Stuff products I bought these last few years are as Good as It Gets, which is Not Very.... I'm learning how to rebuild as many things on these excellent old machines as I can. I may even get a small oxy-acetylene rig for radiator soldering and brazing. I found several core manufacturers all up in the Old Heartland. We'll see....

That's exactly how I got mine to work. I hired an Old Pro to do it, and as you can see from earlier comments, he earned his paltry sum from me well! I don't trust ANY of these modern manufacturers, in any country to do a job right any more. The brand new PowerMaster and Tuff Stuff products I bought these last few years are as Good as It Gets, which is Not Very.... I'm learning how to rebuild as many things on these excellent old machines as I can. I may even get a small oxy-acetylene rig for radiator soldering and brazing. I found several core manufacturers all up in the Old Heartland. We'll see....
Exactly. My post was more about "don't be scared of a factory refurbished carb" THey are actually checked out by hand because they didn't work properly for the first buyer. They are probably closer to being perfect because of that.

Exactly. My post was more about "don't be scared of a factory refurbished carb" THey are actually checked out by hand because they didn't work properly for the first buyer. They are probably closer to being perfect because of that.

Ah, very true. I suspect most of the low quality nowadays comes from Artificial Stupidity on the Line. GM tried that **** long ago, investing then top dollar into roboticizing the production line in the 1980s. That loaded crap shoot snake-eyed them in the mid 2000s, as we all know.

When HUMANS work these tools and systems, more mistakes can be caught. GI-GO still rules computing.

Thanks for the tip I opened up the 1405 and found an extra accelerator pump spring on the bottom of one of the fuel bowls, Everything else was fine including the float adjustments the jets etc...Thanks Again for the tip

Back