Help needed on new Carb install

SportFuryman

Reaction score
I put a new Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock AVS2 4bbl on my ‘66 383 and can’t figure out how to hook up springs on the carb. My first time trying to figure this out on my own. My Mopar guru buddy recently passed away so don’t have anyone else to point me in the right direction. My AVS2 is a newer design and linkage doesn’t look like any that I can find pics of online. Went from stock intake and 2 bbl so nothing to compare to from what I removed. Thank you in advance!!
IMG_5169.jpeg

First, before people chime in about the "kickdown" or trans throttle linkage, this is a stick car... Correct?

Hook the return spring between these two points marked in red EDIT: DON'T put it there, move the throttle cable up.

spring.jpg

Last edited:
um, John! throttle shaft as pictured turns clockwise. the return spring at the bottom would pull the throttle open. throttle linkage needs to be moved to the top.
Well... There's today's big "duh" moment for me.. Glad I got that out of the way early and my wife didn't see it.

There is a Chrysler-specific bracket which bolts onto the AVS2 throttle shaft, which converts it from the Chevy-style setup the carb comes with to what Chrysler-applicaitons need. Which accept the throttle stud the 2bbl had and has to be re-used. When that bracket is installed and the throttle stud attached to it, THEN things hook up just like the 2bbl carb you removed, as to the return springs.

CBODY67

it's a little heavy for a return spring but yes. the real issue is going to be a mount for the throttle linkage and if it will even reach. for the tunnel ram on my '69, i used a throttle cable from a Dodge van.
Ok thank you for the info! I bought a kit of return springs, I will try I lighter one and see how that does.
There is a Chrysler-specific bracket which bolts onto the AVS2 throttle shaft, which converts it from the Chevy-style setup the carb comes with to what Chrysler-applicaitons need. Which accept the throttle stud the 2bbl had and has to be re-used. When that bracket is installed and the throttle stud attached to it, THEN things hook up just like the 2bbl carb you removed, as to the return springs.

CBODY67
Very helpful!! Thanks!!

Photo of a small block but hook up is the same.
Disregard the kick down.
Other is a single 4bbl Hemi.Disregard the kick down cable.
Both are using the 1481 adapter.

IMG_0002a.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Back