Edelbrock 1411 off idle stumble

1Fury1

Slab Side Slacker
Reaction score
Been reading here lately where guys are having good success with their eddy's and have been recommending them and that's great. However it prompted me to share my recent experience with one of these. I don't have alot of past experience with eddy carbs but have learned alot recently due a frustrating off idle stumble that wouldn't go away. My engine builder sold me the carb still in the box. I read the manual backwards and forwards, changed jets and rods, step up springs, idle mixture adjustments, on and on. Even had a very experienced tune up guy tweak the thing for me.

It started good cold or hot, idled nice, WOT and part throttle were fine, but the problem was on slow take off it would want to die, every time. Every red light was an embarrassment waiting to happen. Needed to stay on the clutch and rev the sh1t out of it to get moving otherwise it would stall. Well as it turns out there are volumes written about this very subject with the Eddy 1406 and 1411 750cfm. Google it. Mine is a 1411. Most other eddys don't seem to have this problem apparently.

What I deducted from the reading about 6 years of posts on several different boards was that there were things you could do to deal with it, but it will never really go away completely. Bottom line recommendation, switch carbs so that's what I did.

A friend had a quickfuel slayer, which is really a holley, sitting on the bench and offered it to me to try. Wow what a difference it took the stumble away completely. I can now coast away from a light without having to do a world class burnout. Much easier on the clutch, plus the throttle response is better and it's smooth all the way through. I'm a happy camper.

Have a 1406 and a 1806 working with no problems to report but then again I don't get a lot of seat time in them either. The Carter AFB in the '66 is original and works like a dream.

this may sound like a dumb guestion but did you try moving the accelerator pump linkage to another hole? there are 3 holes in the linkage. I had a similar problem wasn't getting enough initial fuel. seemed to solve my problem.

Carter would differentiate between auto and manual carbs for a reason maybe Eddy should....

this may sound like a dumb guestion but did you try moving the accelerator pump linkage to another hole? there are 3 holes in the linkage. I had a similar problem wasn't getting enough initial fuel. seemed to solve my problem.
Yes thanks I failed to mention I tried the middle hole but it didn't change anything.

I bought a 1411 for the Imp a few years back after I rebuilt the top end and after fussing with it and reading all the same stuff on the Google for a month I said to hell with it and went to the 1406 which greatly improved it. Anybody want to buy a slightly used 1411 in its original box???
The 1406 is a good carb for the money but I probably won't buy another.

hmm. i thought it was just me. 1406 with an off idle stumble for the last 5-6 years. i've been through it inside out and backwards. i could never completely eliminate it.

For years I always went with the 1411 and was never happy.
Combat Bob convinced me to go with the 1406 and it runs like FI. Smooth. I love it.

Sometimes the the idle jets (idle tubes) on the 1406 are a bit small for the application and you get off idle stumble, I guess it's the same situation on the 1411, unfortunately there's no changeable idle jets so you have to drill them out a tiny step carefully by hand (hand chuck).
You find the idle tube on the 1st cluster:

1406 1st cluster.jpg

What size do you drill them out to?

I run 1411 and have no issues or hesitation... Smooth through all RPM range. Spark plugs look nice and clean with light tan color.

I tried everything on my 1411 jets,springs,metering rods as well and the off idle stumble drove me nuts.
But I did cure it by going with a eddy nozzle kit.
I put in the biggest nozzle the kit had which I think were the .043 and problem fixed.

I have had a dozen 1406's on many different Mopar's and Chevy's and never had a problem with them. I guess I have been lucky.

I have one on the NYB for years now. I let it sit for months over the winter and it starts right up.

Those of you that seen my NYB at Carlisle witnessed how it starts right up and runs smooth as hell.... even with the A/C on.

Lean Burn conversion, 1406, a pair of Flowmaster 40's, a good tune and it sounds like a BB Road Runner.

Have you tried to change the metering rod springs?

Right now I have an street demon who uses the same metering rod system and with some springs I have the same off idle stumble but with change them every works well again

Have you tried to change the metering rod springs?

Right now I have an street demon who uses the same metering rod system and with some springs I have the same off idle stumble but with change them every works well again
I guessing the springs are cure/problem cars with higher vacuum cars seems like more cam cars are running less vacuum and the rods are raising quicker helping transition.
Bring that carb to the Nats Matt.

My brother in law has a 1411 on a 292/509 cam and it runs like a champ but has needed lighter springs to keep from being pig rich at idle

My experience 350 chebby with 280 duration cam-ran great
stock 440 stumble off idle, rebuilt it fussed around, no better
383- 292 cam-great
another 350 with some kinda cam, ran great
stock 350 in 3/4 ton truck 1976 smogger, off idle stumble

Back