electric cars...

CanCritter

Reaction score
a joke in the making as far as lm concerned...once they outlaw gas engines they will jack up the electricity rates...couldn't imagine trying to run one of these cars in Ontario right now where they have jacked electricity rates....anyway received this from a relative....

As a
"joke", my Chev dealer gave me a Volt as a loaner while my full-size
pick-up was getting some attention. He thought it was funny to give his
energy company CEO this thing here on Vancouver Island!

I
live 30 kms outside of Victoria near Sidney.

The
battery was dead - later he admitted they almost never charged
it. While the car was "ok", on gasoline, it was pretty anemic.
So for the extra money, even taking into account Chev rebates
and Provincial incentives, you get an under-powered, heavy car
that felt "too small" for its actual size (battery has to go
somewhere).

Now
the kicker: at a neighborhood bbq, I was talking to a
Neighbour, a BC Hydro executive. I asked him how that
renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious. If
you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out,
you had to face certain realities. For example, a home
charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp
service.

The
average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small
street (approx 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would
be unable to carry more than 3 houses with a single Tesla,
each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the
system would be wildly over-loaded.

This
is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles ... Our
residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our
genius elected officials ram this nonsense down our collective
throats, not only are we being forced to buy the damn things
and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with
expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also
have to renovate our entire delivery system! This latter
"investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this
dead end road that it will be presented with an oops and a
shrug.

If
you want to argue with a “green” person over cars that are
eco-friendly, just read the below:

Note:
However, if you ARE the green person, read it anyway.
Enlightening.

Eric
test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General
Motors...and he writes...For four days in a row, the fully
charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched
to the reserve gasoline engine.
Eric calculated the car got
30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the
range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery
is approximately 270 miles.

It
will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then
add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip
time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed
(including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According
to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of
electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained
battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is
never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity. I
pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons)
$1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the
battery.
$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per
mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a
similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg.
$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per
mile.

The
gasoline powered car costs about $15,000 while the Volt costs
$46,000.........So the Government wants proud and loyal
Canadians not to do the math, but simply pay 3 times as much
for a car, that costs more than 7 times as much to run, and
takes 3 times longer to drive across the
country.....

Where
do I sign ?

Electric cars have been around for a long time and yet they have made very little progress. Talk about beating a dead horse.
Nothing to see here folks, bring on the next invention.

And the next step would be guv'ment taking over the electric grid due to the huge infrastucture work required for charging stations all over the place.
Then i can see them limit your usage and therefore your driving.

I see it as a niche market for tree huggers, while we have gas it will never be cutting edge technology.

the first automobiles were electric. They learned early. Why some people want to relive the failures? I have no idea.

"English inventor Thomas Parker, who was responsible for innovations such as electrifying the London Underground, overhead tramways in Liverpool and Birmingham, and the smokeless fuel coalite, built the first production electric car in London in 1884, using his own specially designed high-capacity rechargeable batteries."

Remember the saying "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door" One hundred years ago the auto industry had many types of propulsion systems, gas internal combustion, diesel internal combustion, electric, steam, all have powered our automobiles, and all have had their followers. Thank god we probably will not live to see the next bright idea some engineer comes up with.

Actually, I'd be all in for something like a Chrysler turbine. IF, IF, the turbine didn't drive the wheels. Use it to drive a generator for the electric powered drivetrain. Make the turbine or turbines micro, then maybe we'd have something. ****-can the whole battery ideology... Or is that idolatry?

This, Ladies and Gentleman, was a report from the Real World.
Thank you, Critter.

So... let's skip all the boolchit and go straight to Fuel Cells now so it will be ready when we need it.

Not to play, ok, maybe I will play the devil's advocate here...
First, I do not own an electric - or even a hybrid for that matter. I just want to address a few things in the original post.
Also, instead of the Chevy Volt, I looked at the Tesla web site. Would you buy a new car today by looking at the specs of a Model T?
Anyhow, It appears that the Tesla can charge overnight on a 30 amp service. Most homes today have 200 amp service, granted, many older homes still have 100 amp - but to say the electric grid could not handle a bunch of Teslas charging overnight is laughable. By that logic the power company would be telling the town board that no new homes could be built, or any other construction as the infrastructure could not handle it! I call BS on that.

The Tesla site says it will go 170 miles on a full charge. Supercharging stations are available and will recharge in 30 minutes. Not great, but a whole lot better than stated above.

The cost of electricity. I pulled out my October electric bill. I paid 13 cents/kwh, all taxes and surcharges included. Using the Volt numbers above, that would make my "fill up" cost $2.10. A long way from the $18.00 quoted above. "Your results may vary"...

I do know someone with an electric car. In fact, it is a Chevy Volt. He is the son of a good friend. The guy lives in Atlanta, works in Atlanta and has owned the car 4 or 5 years now. While I have not talked with him directly about his experience with the car, his dad told me that about 3 years in - he had only put gas in it 2 or 3 times! I do not know what sort of range he gets with the car, I do know that he drives it down, which is 100 miles one way. I doubt he would do that if the facts on range, etc. were as stated above.
C

This, Ladies and Gentleman, was a report from the Real World.
Thank you, Critter.

So... let's skip all the boolchit and go straight to Fuel Cells now so it will be ready when we need it.

Hydrogen is a good option if you ignore a few rather large elephants in that room too.

Zero existing infrastructure, putting a hydrogen filled device under the care and control of a majority of people that can't run an electric can opener and a huge one that nobody mentions, what to do with the main tailpipe emission from hydrogen, namely water.

Kevin

Hydrogen is a good option if you ignore a few rather large elephants in that room too.

Zero existing infrastructure, putting a hydrogen filled device under the care and control of a majority of people that can't run an electric can opener and a huge one that nobody mentions, what to do with the main tailpipe emission from hydrogen, namely water.

Kevin
And that's why we need to skip this EV crap and move on now to Fuel Cell.
Times awaistin. . .

How many of you forget to plug your cell phone in every night?

You should not own a electric car.

Yeah do not know what I would do with the time I now use fixing systems that a electric car will not have.
Cooling
Ignition
Exhaust
Transmission
Brakes that stop the car every time and bleed speed into heat.
Alternators

I think a electric is impractical for long distance but for commuter work it would be much better. They are not magic and will not work for many people. I believe their strong point is the reduced systems over ICEngined cars. But, maybe you guys are right after all two soup cans and a string was a better and cheaper way to make a phone call.

And you signed off on that. Guess you will have to turn off A/C if your drying clothes.

And the pool heater, and pool pump, and the ceiling fans, and the air compressor, main fridge and beer fridge in the garage......

Oh yeah the water heater. Though that and the pool heater are HE. Interesting that the water heater uses heat trapped in the garage in addition to the traditional element.

And the pool heater, and pool pump, and the ceiling fans, and the air compressor, main fridge and beer fridge in the garage......

Oh yeah the water heater. Though that and the pool heater are HE. Interesting that the water heater uses heat trapped in the garage in addition to the traditional element.
You better buy a windmill:poke:

And that's why we need to skip this EV crap and move on now to Fuel Cell.
Times awaistin. . .

Fuel cells use hydrogen. Same elephants regardless if you go fuel cell to supply electricity to drive the car or burn hydrogen in an internal combustion engine.

Dilithium crystals are the only viable option...

Kevin

Back